#GTCamp2016

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That's a perfectly legitimate question that I'm going to let CPJ answer or not. Let's stay tuned to see if media gets that from him.

What I don't ever want to do is comment on injuries, player usage, strategy or any other thing that is beyond what CPJ gives out. I hope folks understand.

Well, no one asked, so it's doubtful if it'll come out now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On Mills: Coach used the magic words for a BB: "He's hard to tackle." This was missing last year except in the rare appearances by Allen. Glad to hear this.

On Lynch: I'd still move him to WR, for reasons already mentioned. However, just to reiterate:
• We're loaded at AB and there are players with greater speed who should be getting more touches. We won't lose anything by leaving Lynch at AB, but we don't really need him there.
• We don't have - yet - a consistent WR who can make things happen after the catch. Lynch, who has some of the best hands on the team, is strong and fast, and doesn't go down easy, could give us that, if we don't find it elsewhere.

Just sayin'.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This has been a great discussion, but you are certainly right that the "debate" isn't really that important anyway because the season is going to unfold either way regardless. You are correct in that I am not backing up my position with stats. To do so wouldn't carry that much weight anyway. You make the point that CL racked up yards on a bad offense and the fact that it was a bad offense makes his numbers look even better. I would actually counter this argument another way highlighting why I chose not to use stats to start with. I could argue that CL got as many yards as he did precisely because we were a bad offense. He was our best option at the time and received a ton of snaps that he probably wouldn't have in a better year. When you look at who DH had to compete against just to get on the field, you may see my point. It is difficult to forecast how much time CL would have gotten if everybody was healthy or how many snaps/yards DH would have gotten if he was available last year. In any case, I am extremely grateful for CL's contributions and I am rooting for him this season.

One of the things I feel I have done poorly in this discussion overall is allow this thing to turn into a CL vs DH argument. I used DH's name primarily just to make a point. My overall point in all of this is that the AB position last year was not nearly dynamic enough and is highly likely to be a lot more so this season. I feel sure the bar is being raised. Here is to hoping that CL clears the bar with everybody else. CHEERS!

That is exactly why we use yards per carry. Not total yards. Since he received more touches and still had awesome numbers in a bad offense on a per carry basis it basically validates my point that he is way ahead of dh. I never heard of an ok player looking better in a bad offense because they got more touches. That helps total yards. But never yards per carry and certainly even great players in bad offenses can look just ok. We will just have to agree to disagree.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My initial impression was that it was Justin. I remember him saying Justin looked really sharp early, and I thought I remembered him saying the 20 play drive was the first drive. But, I'm not 100% on that.

Edit: Just saw on RW.com, it says that the long drive took place midway through the scrimmage, so I was probably wrong above.
Also saw where it says that a top individual defensive performance was DB Step Durham with a pair of sacks. That isn't what you'd expect to hear about a defensive back, especially with what I've usually seen with our defense. Corner blitz? Adds a little more intrigue to that report, at least to my mind.

We rotate qb. So a mid practice drive can still be jt

What's happened to MLD? We never hear his name anymore. I know they moved him to WR, but we seem to be loaded at WR. He showed to much promise last year to ride the bench this year, unless all those other guys at AB or WR are really that much better than he is.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Man, I wish we had better data from the scrimmage.

Did Kallon force fumbles against 1s or 2s? You might assume 1s based on depth chart, but by that measure Step had 2 sacks vs 1s, yet CPJ said there were no sacks vs 1s.

I don't know why they give highlights when they don't make them clear.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Takeaways
1. Sounds like the running game is coming along strong. I think bback is will be a strength again, which means offensive success. The return of smash mouth.

2. Camp sounds like a boss.

Dislikes:
1. His comment about the pass rush could possibly be why GT continues to be poor defensively at rushing the passer. Could the naysayers prove to be right about a defense going up against an offensive team so much.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Takeaways
1. Sounds like the running game is coming along strong. I think bback is will be a strength again, which means offensive success. The return of smash mouth.

2. Camp sounds like a boss.

Dislikes:
1. His comment about the pass rush could possibly be why GT continues to be poor defensively at rushing the passer. Could the naysayers prove to be right about a defense going up against an offensive team so much.

1. I'm trying not to get too pumped up about Mills but it's getting harder not to.
2. Ya seems like Camp is leading the way to be most likely big threat at WR.
3. I think it would be foolish to think our Offensive scheme and camp prep has zero affect on the D camp prep. Having said that, I think much of what the D does against our O translates to other schemes also. Not to mention drills and such. There are not many, if any, traditional offenses to prep for anymore. There is so much variety IMO that pre game prep will be quite a bit different team to team. Which team should we dedicate preseason camp to? Lastly, I'd be pretty surprised if we don't work on pass rush as much as most other teams.