#GTCamp2016

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I did not hear him say we needed 3 true freshmen to play. He was simply marveling at how big and athletic they were and that they seemed ready to play. He promised that, if they crack the 2 deep, they would play, but that they still have to a lot to learn before then.

I did not hear anything sinister or dire in this. It sounded like he felt like we had successfully recruited some good players.
I agree. And if any freshman makes the 2 deep, he will play. This is really no news except he likes what he sees.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So in the 4-3, we have PJ - Mitchell - Curry/Lewis?

What about the 4-2-5?

Secondary will also be an interesting position battle. Replacing 4 starters. Sounds like the Austins are impressing, so that's good. Wonder who is starting at Strong Safety? My guess for the secondary is a rotation of Durham/Austin/Austin/Simmons at CB, and AJ Gray/Corey Griffin at Safety.

OK, first, I suspect that we will play more 4-3 than 4-2-5 this year (I could be wrong, but it seems that Law competing at CB suggests that he's not returning as nickel). Also, I kinda recall talk from CPJ and Roof about playing more 4-3 because of depth at LB.

So, yeah, I think it's PJ/Alexander - Alford/Mitchell - Lewis/Curry (as reported in AJC depth chart) with greater competition at the last two spots.

As I just aluded to, this article made it sound like Law was competing at corner rather than safety/nickel. Maybe Christian Campbell is competing for the 2 deep in secondary with Kagawa behind AJ Gray and Corey Griffin.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, first, I suspect that we will play more 4-3 than 4-2-5 this year (I could be wrong, but it seems that Law competing at CB suggests that he's not returning as nickel). Also, I kinda recall talk from CPJ and Roof about playing more 4-3 because of depth at LB.

So, yeah, I think it's PJ/Alexander - Alford/Mitchell - Lewis/Curry (as reported in AJC depth chart) with greater competition at the last two spots.

As I just aluded to, this article made it sound like Law was competing at corner rather than safety/nickel. Maybe Christian Campbell is competing for the 2 deep in secondary with Kagawa behind AJ Gray and Corey Griffin.

OK, so Ken's interview confused the context. Lawrence is still competing at safety not CB. From Winkeljohn's TGW article:
Backing up Gray is junior Shaun Kagawa, who played in 10 games last season.

Fourth-year junior Corey Griffin, who played in 11 games with one start, and junior Lawrence Austin, who played in all 12 games with nine starts at nickel back, are working at strong safety.

Junior Step Durham, who played in eight games with a start, and junior Lance Austin, who played in 10 games, are leading the way at the cornerback spots.

“Lance has had a really good camp so far and so has Lawrence for that matter,” Roof said. “Step played a lot at nickel for us and did a nice job. [Third-year sophomore] Lamont Simmons, behind Step, that’s shaping up to be a real good battle, and [redshirt freshman] Dorian Walker has changed his body. He did a lot of different jobs in high school and is now trying to hone in on the corner position . . . We’ve got Lawrence and Corey Griffin competing at strong safety so that’s a good battle.”​

So, it looks like at Free Safety AJ/Kagawa is set and that at strong safety Law and Corey are competing.
It looks like CBs are Step/Lamont and Lance/Dorian.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think I'm taking it personally? I just think you need to take some of your negativity and shove it. This fanbase doesn't need pessimistic views every time they read something you post. Just lighten up, at the end of the day.. It's just football. Our guys go out every week and bust their tails so guys like me and you can enjoy Saturdays in the fall. Let's all be grateful that we're tech fans.

LOL, you certainly sound like you are overly concerned.Why would you care what he thinks if you are so positive."Your light will outshine his darkness", or something..

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
i'm surprised but not disappointed to hear Dorian in the mix at corner and not Meiko but I like the guys we have in the secondary and agree with @AE 87 I want the best 4 or 5 out there. We had a lot of secondary guys hurt last year in the FSU game but it didn't seem to matter. And Lance is pretty good with the ball in his hands :)

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
bc I think they have the potential to be the 2 best corners on the team, and have the tools to make the NFL...but if one of the Austin twins is playing better, I would want him to play #obviously

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Why no love for the Austins? I really don't understand. Why did/do you hope for particular players to start rather than for the best players to start?
Sometimes you just like certain players and hope they turn out to play to their potential. Imo they have the highest upside, But of course if one of the other guys is playing better I would rather them be on the field.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
OK, so Ken's interview confused the context. Lawrence is still competing at safety not CB. From Winkeljohn's TGW article:
Backing up Gray is junior Shaun Kagawa, who played in 10 games last season.

Fourth-year junior Corey Griffin, who played in 11 games with one start, and junior Lawrence Austin, who played in all 12 games with nine starts at nickel back, are working at strong safety.

Junior Step Durham, who played in eight games with a start, and junior Lance Austin, who played in 10 games, are leading the way at the cornerback spots.

“Lance has had a really good camp so far and so has Lawrence for that matter,” Roof said. “Step played a lot at nickel for us and did a nice job. [Third-year sophomore] Lamont Simmons, behind Step, that’s shaping up to be a real good battle, and [redshirt freshman] Dorian Walker has changed his body. He did a lot of different jobs in high school and is now trying to hone in on the corner position . . . We’ve got Lawrence and Corey Griffin competing at strong safety so that’s a good battle.”​

So, it looks like at Free Safety AJ/Kagawa is set and that at strong safety Law and Corey are competing.
It looks like CBs are Step/Lamont and Lance/Dorian.

I guess that means JJohnson is currently third at one of the safeties and Dotson is a third at one of the CBs....or competing against the freshmen for those spots. I saw in an earlier post a brief note about JJohnson playing some Nickel.

I give Roof credit for getting his starters and likely backups ready to play and he gives them some PT to get experience. He builds in good versatility. The Austins turn out to be more valuable than most people give them credit for because you can plug them in (including STs) almost anywhere in the back five and they will do a credible job. I also think their hustle and effort is infectious on the other players.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

More 4-3 could have something to do with getting gashed on the ground last season too