#GTCamp20 Coverage

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember an interview where CBK spoke about the amount of time they spent in the very basics and fundamentals because they were so different than what the guys were used to. Things like stance to weight distribution to coming out of your stance a certain way, etc. We were literally starting from the ground up. Some of the players mentioned how last year especially at the beginning of the season there was a lot of thinking instead of being able to go out and play fast. I think this year we will see guys that are more comfortable with what they are being asked to do.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Disagree. Its more like redesigning a car. Sometimes you tweak the old one year to year. Sometimes you redesign from the ground up.

Almost always a total redesign means performance (quality) issues in year one. But if you want to be the best on the market, you have to make occasional step changes. Tweaking can only get you so far.

Going from PJ to a spread is like going from a car to a pickup.

The reason I feel tweaking was a poor option is that recruits wanted to, needed to, know that we were moving on. If you look out and see us running a bunch of pj-like plays that fit the pj personnel then do you believe? Better to run your plays and demonstrate the failure points showing how recruits would make the difference. This is particularly important for recruiting OL and WR. They want to see a commitment.
Don’t disagree on the change, showing commitment, etc. Here’s what I don’t get:
a. We ran the ball with a high degree of effectiveness against medium and low caliber defenses for a decade. Elite defenses with talent gave us fits way more often than not.
b. Previous regime used a lot of cut blocking, new scheme does not. They still cut block and so does everyone else we play just way less than before.
c. New scheme was supposed to require guards, etc to pull but so did the old scheme. Open pull, skip pull, etc we still pull guards, tackles, tight ends, etc. Ebery offense lineman should know how to pull.
d. The still drive block, scoop, etc and there’s still hand work. We still run counters, we kick out, etc. Same things every lineman does.
e. We probably didn’t do too much zone blocking but that’s easier to master.

Some of you all are trying to convince me that none of these lineman know or have ever known how to block at all except for a cut block and it’s as if we had a bunch of wet behind the ears Freshmen trying to find their butts with both hands. Sorry, I ain’t buying it.

All I been saying is you build a base of plays. I don’t know 4-6, master them, then add a few more in and then we have 6-8, a month later add 2 more and we have 8-10. In the mean time we can run a half dozen base plays well and don’t look horrible doing it. You don’t have to run a single CPJ play to phase in like that. None. You can bury his playbook next to Sideways and turn the page without coming in #130 of 130 or whatever it was. Our talent wasn’t anywhere near that bad. If it was go get buckets of gold because we need to erect a huge statue for a man that did way more than anyone else ever with way less than anyone thought we had.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Don’t disagree on the change, showing commitment, etc. Here’s what I don’t get:
a. We ran the ball with a high degree of effectiveness against medium and low caliber defenses for a decade. Elite defenses with talent gave us fits way more often than not.
b. Previous regime used a lot of cut blocking, new scheme does not. They still cut block and so does everyone else we play just way less than before.
c. New scheme was supposed to require guards, etc to pull but so did the old scheme. Open pull, skip pull, etc we still pull guards, tackles, tight ends, etc. Ebery offense lineman should know how to pull.
d. The still drive block, scoop, etc and there’s still hand work. We still run counters, we kick out, etc. Same things every lineman does.
e. We probably didn’t do too much zone blocking but that’s easier to master.

Some of you all are trying to convince me that none of these lineman know or have ever known how to block at all except for a cut block and it’s as if we had a bunch of wet behind the ears Freshmen trying to find their butts with both hands. Sorry, I ain’t buying it.

All I been saying is you build a base of plays. I don’t know 4-6, master them, then add a few more in and then we have 6-8, a month later add 2 more and we have 8-10. In the mean time we can run a half dozen base plays well and don’t look horrible doing it. You don’t have to run a single CPJ play to phase in like that. None. You can bury his playbook next to Sideways and turn the page without coming in #130 of 130 or whatever it was. Our talent wasn’t anywhere near that bad. If it was go get buckets of gold because we need to erect a huge statue for a man that did way more than anyone else ever with way less than anyone thought we had.
So Key’s comments and the player interviews from last year talking about how different it all was were all BS?

LibertyTurns

Banned
So Key’s comments and the player interviews from last year talking about how different it all was were all BS?
Sorry I don’t put much stock in public press conference proclamations. I watch and make conclusions based on results and what I observe. Go watch game tape. They say they’re running a scheme and 3 plays out of 35 (being charitable) they may have attempted to run the scheme they were proclaiming to be running. Most people would be in CYA mode if I was getting whipped that bad. It’s rare these days to find someone talking straight. Not a knock on Key as he’s just like his peers these days. It’s a different era.

This is my last commentary on this. I was extremely dissatisfied last year in the offensive coaching staff because of their seemingly inability to teach basics but I have not given up hope on them. They’re inexperienced and all we can hope for is good development and they mature into what we all want them to be. The alternative is 3 years of misery and then installation of a new staff and we’re back to 2019 again. No GT fan wants that except the diehard I told you so guys.

GTSmitty

Georgia Tech Fan
I have to believe I’m not the only person who desperately wants another player on the DL to line up next to Justice with the last name of Berry or Dangle, and if that were to occur, it would be one of the greatest things to happen in college football?

Today's presser

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Even if Collins and this staff are gone in 3 years we won’t be any where near 2019 because we’ll actually have P5 players and QB’s that other teams wanted at that position. I get it, last year stunk on the field. But, I do not care. Collins did exactly what myself and many wanted him to do. He began the process of rebuilding this roster. We lost to Citadel. So freaking what! It was one game that no one remember. You know what people will remember for years? Gibbs looking like Dwyer. Sims looking like Joe Ham and Brown looking like past great GT WR’s. What Collins has done in a year for GT football is amazing. The days of wondering which DB or WR will be the next GT QB are over. The lineman he’s recruited and have committed are he best crop in decades. No one will remember 2019 once he has another recruiting cycle or two.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as I would like that to be true, remember they have two practices.

One for young guys and one for older guys.

Graham is throwing to juniors and seniors, which does not include Ahmarean Brown

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
As much as I would like that to be true, remember they have two practices.

One for young guys and one for older guys.

Graham is throwing to juniors and seniors, which does not include Ahmarean Brown
Sims and Yates are practicing with jrs and srs according to the player list in the pictures.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
James Graham isn’t even in these pictures, so I’m not really sure what they’re signifying anyway.

lineups that scored touchdowns in practice?