#GTCamp20 Coverage

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Key was the #2 ranked recruiter in all of cfb in 2018. He’s a lot better than decent, he’s one of the best in all of cfb. We’re damn lucky he wanted to come home. Damn lucky. The future is bright with this staff. LFG.
He’s also a great OL coach which goes to what I’ve been saying about all our coaches. We have fans talking about restructuring the roster with different skill sets and body types but at the same time think somehow we should be okay with the roster we had. They are great kids but many fit a certain scheme that we don’t run anymore. This is a multi-year process. Ranting about coaches is counterproductive for a couple more years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In addition to not having the types of kids most suited to the offense this staff wants to run, we also had a rash of injuries to our top OL. How many walk-ons actually got significant snaps on the OL last year? And those were walk-ons that came to play in CPJ's offense. So, I fully reserve judgment on CBK until such time as we have a healthy OL. Even then, my judgment will be tempered with the knowledge that I know much less than he does.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So where is your judgement on Key? Our WRs underperformed as well but I don’t see anyone being critical of Dixon. If our OL or WRs didn’t know what they were doing that’s not on the OC.
I think Key did a poor job. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This is nonsense. You can judge the coaches anytime they put a product on the field. Those horrifically undersized and untalented players did just fine in 2018. They had no idea what they were doing last year. It was one of the worst offenses our program has ever had and close to worst in all of FBS. Of course there are going to be growing pains moving to a new offense but im not sure how you can blame that significant of a drop completely on the players. Coach P may bounce back from this and I think we all hope he will but he did a rather poor job last year with what he had to work with.
I think what people forget is much of the o line was injured. But they just like to instead say there was no talent. There's was plenty of talent, much of it was injured for a significant amount of the year though. That's the only excuse I'll give the current staff because they were quite unlucky in that regard. Talent was there though.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If we had tried to run to our strengths on offense last year maybe we win another game or two. But do we get Sims to sign? Do we get a lot of these WR’s who we’ll be cheering for soon on the team? Do we get the QB from Cali to come here? Collins did exactly what GT needed and that was to show 15-18 year old males that weren’t Army and Navy any more. The recruiting rankings prove him to be right. Wins will come. No more 2015’s in our future.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Finishing last in the country maybe.
Other than watching and looking up stats what is your football expertise based on? Most of my opinions are admittedly limited by my lack of real knowledge other than taking with my brother who coached HS ball for 30 years. One thing he has said that stuck is players can and should always play with effort. But some guys are just not good enough. We had a combination of guys who were simply too small, too inexperienced in what we wanted them to do or not good enough for the competition they were facing. Coaches can only do so much. Besides we couldn’t pass block before either. Why would you expect that to change overnight?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Other than watching and looking up stats what is your football expertise based on? Most of my opinions are admittedly limited by my lack of real knowledge other than taking with my brother who coached HS ball for 30 years. One thing he has said that stuck is players can and should always play with effort. But some guys are just not good enough. We had a combination of guys who were simply too small, too inexperienced in what we wanted them to do or not good enough for the competition they were facing. Coaches can only do so much. Besides we couldn’t pass block before either. Why would you expect that to change overnight?
I don’t expect it to change overnight. I didn’t expect to have a good offensive line last year, especially with the injuries but if you are trying to convince me that our talent was so bad that a great offensive line coach had no chance to avoid being the worst in the country then I’m not sure I buy it. Especially when we showed glimpses of being decent. Against UVA we gave up no sacks, only had three three and outs, Graham had a great game passing, and we rushed for over 140 yards. How did that happen against a 9 win team on the road if our talent on the offensive line was so awful that they had no chance to compete?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I don’t expect it to change overnight. I didn’t expect to have a good offensive line last year, especially with the injuries but if you are trying to convince me that our talent was so bad that a great offensive line coach had no chance to avoid being the worst in the country then I’m not sure I buy it. Especially when we showed glimpses of being decent. Against UVA we gave up no sacks, only had three three and outs, Graham had a great game passing, and we rushed for over 140 yards. How did that happen against a 9 win team on the road if our talent on the offensive line was so awful that they had no chance to compete?
Because it was the 9th game of the year and the kids had a few games playing together and James has a better idea of what he was doing. You’ll also notice that we sucked the next week against VT but looked decent against NCSU after that. With a young team and mismatched parts in particular the matchups play a big part.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s why you don’t introduce a thousand different plays with a completely new offense. You build a base of plays fitting the talent of the players you have & as the season goes along you add on as you’re able to train them your way. You recruit players to fit your scheme and based on how successful you are you can either go faster or slower. With more players for your style each year you can add more and more until your have your full offense installed. This isn’t gene splicing atom splitting rocket surgery. It’s the same thng you do if you take over a tire factory, a research lab or a group of Engineers. You establish a base and evolve from there. You don’t blow up the building & hope it all works out.
Disagree. Its more like redesigning a car. Sometimes you tweak the old one year to year. Sometimes you redesign from the ground up.

Almost always a total redesign means performance (quality) issues in year one. But if you want to be the best on the market, you have to make occasional step changes. Tweaking can only get you so far.

Going from PJ to a spread is like going from a car to a pickup.

The reason I feel tweaking was a poor option is that recruits wanted to, needed to, know that we were moving on. If you look out and see us running a bunch of pj-like plays that fit the pj personnel then do you believe? Better to run your plays and demonstrate the failure points showing how recruits would make the difference. This is particularly important for recruiting OL and WR. They want to see a commitment.