#GTCamp20 Coverage

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s remember too that while he is more raw than a Shamire Devine was at this age, Wing has the same height at 100 less pounds. To have a guy at that size where weight isn’t a liability is huge. He can add a good bit of good weight yet.
AND

In High School, Wing Green was 180 lb as a freshman, 235lb as a junior, 255 lb as a senior, and 280 lb this past spring.

There's going to be a learning curve for someone learning how to handle that new weight at the level that P5 requires.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Oh my. The contrast between the FSU situation and the question to Coach Burton about Tariq is huge. Basically he was asked about Tariq sharing concerns about COVID on social media. And the response is that this is a testament to the trust we have in each other that he is free to express his opinion online, in the meeting room, whatever. He was praised for speaking his mind.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
He was way overlooked as a prospect. He grew into a 6'3 200lb frame with 4.37 speed, but what really impressed me about his film was his ball skills. He tracked the ball well and put himself in position to attack the catch. Instead of running a route and stopping to where the ball was going to be, he would slow down and adjust while the ball was in the air and then explode toward the ball creating some separation and putting his body in great position to complete the catch.

Yup. You can see his ability to attack the ball on the tweet in this thread from practice yesterday!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
To firmly put myself in the "wait and see" camp... Avery's straight line speed was never a question. Nor, I guess, his ability to generally catch a ball.

My going-in assumption is that his learning curve as with most true freshmen WR will be route running and blocking. As a straight-line burner, it's safe to assume the go route is in his wheelhouse, which is the visual we saw there. In a scrimmage environment who knows what's being asked of the players.

Now, if he's catching a lot of TDs, who cares? Maybe we run 4 verts with him, Brown, and whomever. Nonetheless, that clip is encouraging.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
To firmly put myself in the "wait and see" camp... Avery's straight line speed was never a question. Nor, I guess, his ability to generally catch a ball.

My going-in assumption is that his learning curve as with most true freshmen WR will be route running and blocking. As a straight-line burner, it's safe to assume the go route is in his wheelhouse, which is the visual we saw there. In a scrimmage environment who knows what's being asked of the players.

Now, if he's catching a lot of TDs, who cares? Maybe we run 4 verts with him, Brown, and whomever. Nonetheless, that clip is encouraging.

Always smart to wait and see.

What jumped out at me was that he caught 5 touchdowns yesterday and one from each QB if I read the tweets correctly.

I would hope and assume those weren’t all go routes, but even if so, it’s still impressive!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Always smart to wait and see.

What jumped out at me was that he caught 5 touchdowns yesterday and one from each QB if I read the tweets correctly.

I would hope and assume those weren’t all go routes, but even if so, it’s still impressive!
Agree, the stat is impressive and a good thing. Though, I'm going to "wait and see" and assume our defense isn't as bad as the # of TDs we gave up yesterday.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I feel like Boyd is flying under the radar. In the touchdown tweet thread yesterday, he was mentioned a lot. He caught TD passes from Yates (2), Graham, Gleason, and Sims. I know it's early, but it seems like he is a guy that either knows how to get open or will win the one on one battle for the ball. Maybe both. Either way, this bodes well.

Adding him to the mix with Brown and a healthy Camp could open up more running lanes for our talented backfield. I know I get excited every year at this time, but I feel like we have some serious talent on the offensive side of the ball. Losing Cochran hurts, but our Oline should be a lot better this year. I'm hoping we play and we get to see some of these young kids become household names!
Doesn't hurt he is 6'3 and runs a 4.3 40! Kid might be a superstar.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I feel like Boyd is flying under the radar. In the touchdown tweet thread yesterday, he was mentioned a lot. He caught TD passes from Yates (2), Graham, Gleason, and Sims. I know it's early, but it seems like he is a guy that either knows how to get open or will win the one on one battle for the ball. Maybe both. Either way, this bodes well.

Adding him to the mix with Brown and a healthy Camp could open up more running lanes for our talented backfield. I know I get excited every year at this time, but I feel like we have some serious talent on the offensive side of the ball. Losing Cochran hurts, but our Oline should be a lot better this year. I'm hoping we play and we get to see some of these young kids become household names!
Kids like this is where GT should excel. Lowly rated but in person higher quality talent evaluation finds the gold nugget. You need those recruiting resources that can do just that. Then you add above average skills development by having a good coaching staff. Couple it with good weight training, nutrition, etc and you have an explosive combination.

We just need to keep adding the pieces to the puzzle and it could all work out great. Yammering about recruiting ratings and fretting about poor offer lists is a waste of time. Just let the staff do their thing and we’ll find out they’re either all we hope they can be, average or not good enough. Right now they seem to be capable of the task at hand for the most part.