GT vs Pitt Postgame

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Dude, NO ONE is suggesting we change the degree requirements for any specific engineering degree. We are talking about adding other degree options that might be considered more athletic friendly. Why would an AE degree be devalued because some athlete chooses to get his degree in Sports Management (I'm making this up)?
Exactly this! Employers only care about the quality of the degree they are hiring. Eg., if a school has a top notch chemical engineering department, an employer of chemical engineers couldn't care less if the school also had a sports management department. Also, you can make a degree in sports management top notch within its own field, without adding any unnecessary, superfluous requirements such as calculus which add nothing to the degree. I just cannot understand why some of us cannot understand this.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
A business partner of my played for Woody Hayes at OSU.....first day of practice, he asked everyone if they were there to play in the NFL....and if they were they should leave immediately....that the only reason they were there was because they love to play football.

Perhaps the most irrelevant comment possible in 2018. Times have changed dude.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They have a more talented roster than we do
USF
They almost never see our offense and they use the scout team to practice. 600 yds of offense by gt

Gt
At gt practice we only see their offense as run by our scout team. In 4 th quarter when they needed to score, they open up the playbook and scored 21.

The total commitment to our unique offense make our players more effective on offense. Likewise a lack of quality practice time makes our defense less effective.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem I see is not necessarily the talent. Seems just a bit more talented than most of CPJ's teams. The problem I see this year is trust. The players do not seem to trust the system. Both offensively and defensively. I said several times TM's major problem is reading the triple option. Really any option. He is not trusting his keys. I can't tell you how many times the past two games the pitch was there on the lead option, but TM would not pitch it. TM seems raddled when any read gets to close to him. I really think the world of TM, but it is simply time for a change as way too many missed reads on both the passing and running game, which makes it a necessity to be perfect in his passing, which he has not bee.

On defense we keep hearing that the players aren't staying in their gap. They simply do not trust the system, and each other. Why not maintain your gap, because you don't think the guy where the ball seems to be going is going to make the play.

Our issues seem to be based on trust. I think the trust has been forced on the players at times in the past. Think 2014. We didn't start out hot, but we ended up winning, and it seem like later in the year the players bought in and really started trusting each other and the coaches, and began winning big. We have had no such luck this year and the trust has been non-existant and I'm afraid it can be lost for the season if things don't start bouncing our way.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Nope we don't develop players as well as we should but there is a much wider pool of talent in this state than there was just 10 years ago and there is no reason why we can't have a share of it. Georgia is in the top 5 of states with high school football talent and it is inexcusable for our recruiting to be as poor as it has been since 2000. If we are not doing a good job in identifying players and nurturing relationships with high school coaches then changes need to be made. If academics are unreasonable, which they are, then the administration needs to be more flexible in both curriculum and admission standards. We have managed to recruit a few four stars the last couple of years so it can be done but when we cannot get a single top 50 high school football player in our own state that is a sure fire recipe for failure.

I totally agree.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
The problem I see is not necessarily the talent. Seems just a bit more talented than most of CPJ's teams. The problem I see this year is trust. The players do not seem to trust the system. Both offensively and defensively. I said several times TM's major problem is reading the triple option. Really any option. He is not trusting his keys. I can't tell you how many times the past two games the pitch was there on the lead option, but TM would not pitch it. TM seems raddled when any read gets to close to him. I really think the world of TM, but it is simply time for a change as way too many missed reads on both the passing and running game, which makes it a necessity to be perfect in his passing, which he has not bee.

On defense we keep hearing that the players aren't staying in their gap. They simply do not trust the system, and each other. Why not maintain your gap, because you don't think the guy where the ball seems to be going is going to make the play.

Our issues seem to be based on trust. I think the trust has been forced on the players at times in the past. Think 2014. We didn't start out hot, but we ended up winning, and it seem like later in the year the players bought in and really started trusting each other and the coaches, and began winning big. We have had no such luck this year and the trust has been non-existant and I'm afraid it can be lost for the season if things don't start bouncing our way.
It’s more about lack of execution than trust IMO.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s more about lack of execution than trust IMO.

The reason they are not executing is because they are not trusting the play called and the play of their teammates to work, so they are trying to do something different. Now there are plays here and their like the long drop or the over throws. But, a lot of the problems are when we have a lead option called and have a purposefully unblocked player and he comes at the QB, the QB is suppose to run at him and pitch it. Not fake pitch and try and cut back to where the pursuit is coming. Lots of the defensive players are not maintain their gap or going to the wrong game. Well that is because they do not trust the person next to them who is suppose to maintain that gap to actually maintain that gap.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Just read Johnson’s take. This is it. The kids aren’t doing the simple things.

There are fundamental things that seem to be lacking, like wrapping up during tackling, which are things that should’ve been learned prior to college. So there’s that but I think yesterday was the worst called game of CPJ’s tenure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm curious about something and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or confrontational, I would like open discussion. When I read posters saying CPJ "abuses players", "throws players under the bus", "points fingers" I'm assuming these comments are interpretations of what CPJ says during press conferences, shows, etc. When someone asks him about particular plays or problems as he sees it, would you rather the answer be an honest appraisal of the breakdown of a particular play or would you rather the answer be just some generic, canned response? I've seen posts on this blog, and elsewhere, that seem to agree with his descriptions of what went wrong with plays, even to the point of calling out specific players for making the mistakes. Yet, some of the same people who will call out specific players get upset when the coach does the same thing. In fact, I've seen some posters question the athletic ability and intelligence of some players but I don't ever recall hearing any of our coaches do that.

Please understand that I am not happy with the season so far and I'm wondering where GTFB goes from here. I understand the feeling of frustration of GTFB fans on this blog because I am frustrated also. I am positive Our Team and Coaches are equally frustrated. I just don't believe that this ongoing sniping, vitriolic language, spitefulness is good or helpful.

Animal02

Banned
I'm curious about something and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or confrontational, I would like open discussion. When I read posters saying CPJ "abuses players", "throws players under the bus", "points fingers" I'm assuming these comments are interpretations of what CPJ says during press conferences, shows, etc. When someone asks him about particular plays or problems as he sees it, would you rather the answer be an honest appraisal of the breakdown of a particular play or would you rather the answer be just some generic, canned response? I've seen posts on this blog, and elsewhere, that seem to agree with his descriptions of what went wrong with plays, even to the point of calling out specific players for making the mistakes. Yet, some of the same people who will call out specific players get upset when the coach does the same thing. In fact, I've seen some posters question the athletic ability and intelligence of some players but I don't ever recall hearing any of our coaches do that.

Please understand that I am not happy with the season so far and I'm wondering where GTFB goes from here. I understand the feeling of frustration of GTFB fans on this blog because I am frustrated also. I am positive Our Team and Coaches are equally frustrated. I just don't believe that this ongoing sniping, vitriolic language, spitefulness is good or helpful.
Add to that, that CPJ is not playing the best players available because he is stubborn or something. I don't like the way the season is going either....but it is moronic to suggest playing "for next" etc.

Animal02

Banned

While I agree with much of what you wrote, you cannot make a change if the alternates put the team in a worse position. Lots of people here whining about not playing Oliver because of a few snaps they saw last week. No one here is privy to what goes on in practice day in an day out.

Animal02

Banned
Perhaps the most irrelevant comment possible in 2018. Times have changed dude.
And how has it changed? The percentage of players that go on to the NFL? The fact of the matter is that it is a miniscule amount of college ball players that make it to the NFL. Sure it can be a dream....but anyone that solely has their eye set playing in the pros does not belong at Tech.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This period of GT Football reminds me of the Stockdale Paradox: “The Stockdale Paradox really defines the optimism that is most important in becoming a resilient person and that is, when you're faced with a challenge or a trauma, you look at that challenge objectively. You might make the assessment, 'I'm in really big trouble.' You have a realistic assessment of what you're facing. On the other hand, you have the attitude and the confidence to say, 'But I will prevail. I'm in a tough spot, but I will prevail.' That is the optimism that relates to resilience.”

We aren’t very good. But I have faith that we will improve. Eventually.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
On a personal note I want to say that I have NEVER seen such vile, despicable, embarrassing posts as I have seen on Facebook the last couple of days. For men to claim to be GT fans and post what they have and to speak to women like they have is unbelievable and unacceptable. I would suggest if any of this applies to anyone on GTSwarm please consider would you want your Mother, Wife, Daughter, or Sister to be spoken to like that? If not, then please do not speak to any other woman in such a shameful way.
If anyone who wrote that stuff is on GTSwarm I can assure you that you were talking to at least 2 women who belong to this blog.

Last edited: