GT vs Clemson Media

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
"I can also guarantee you (as someone who has done this myself) that Bryant will say/do anything he can to be on the field Saturday. What do you want the coach to do?"

Obviously we want him to bench the kid 'till next week

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I can also guarantee you (as someone who has done this myself) that Bryant will say/do anything he can to be on the field Saturday. What do you want the coach to do?
That is why there are medical protocols in place for all sorts of injuries but especially concussions. Btw, I bet Tony Hollings wanted to go back in, too. Sometimes the coach has to know and do what’s best for the kid.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is why there are medical protocols in place for all sorts of injuries but especially concussions. Btw, I bet Tony Hollings wanted to go back in, too. Sometimes the coach has to know and do what’s best for the kid.

If I am a coach and the doctors say he or anyone else is OK to play, I will defer to their professional decision. I would expect that they have more expertise in their field than I would. (I wouldn't seek their advice on game planning though.) I have always been a "let the people who are experts in their subject area do their jobs" kind of person..i.e. not a micro manager. Of course, if I get comfortably ahead I will maybe sit the guy a little quicker than I woud if he were not coming off injury/

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I am a coach and the doctors say he or anyone else is OK to play, I will defer to their professional decision. I would expect that they have more expertise in their field than I would. (I wouldn't seek their advice on game planning though.) I have always been a "let the people who are experts in their subject area do their jobs" kind of person..i.e. not a micro manager. Of course, if I get comfortably ahead I will maybe sit the guy a little quicker than I woud if he were not coming off injury/
Of course, if he gets hurt again, the doctor is not going to be at the press conference taking the heat.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Of course, if he gets hurt again, the doctor is not going to be at the press conference taking the heat.

Good point but "Monday morning quarterbacking" is part of the job. Those guys deal with it weekly. When CPJ started going for 2 points earlier than what "conventional thinking" would dictate against Wake, I doubt he was weaving the "what will the press or fans say if this backfires" into his decision making process. If the doctors say he is OK, then he is cleared to play. Might he be injured again? Possibly. But how long do you sit the guy? You could hold him out for 6 games and he could get hurt in the 7th.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

Local reports Clemson is that QB Bryant is only about 80% on his ankle

My comment had nothing to do with concussions. It was in reference to a comment made about the above statement. What percent do you think Byron Leftwich was when his teammates literally had to carry him downfield to finish a drive?

Now if he is still having a symptoms from the concussion, he definitely shouldn’t play. I don’t think Dabo would play him. Especially now when concussion protocol is a major topic of discussion.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Not 100% is fine as long as it isn't a concussion. Playing a kid with a concussion nowadays is tantamount to signing your resignation papers as a coach. I don't think Dabo would be that dumb, but he has done stranger and riskier things before.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Love our guys!! I wonder how many football players when interviewed talk about mid terms and academics especially math classes. Devine is a funny guy really enjoyed his interview.

Pretty sure the UGA guys talk maths during their interviews:

Player: "Yeah, coach said I could have 2 bowls of ice cream for every sack I got. I got 3 last week so Imma have me 5 bowls of ice cream. That's a lotta ice cream! Hope coach don't get mad!"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the UGA guys talk maths during their interviews:

Player: "Yeah, coach said I could have 2 bowls of ice cream for every sack I got. I got 3 last week so Imma have me 5 bowls of ice cream. That's a lotta ice cream! Hope coach don't get mad!"
Miami players: "Hey Coach, ima gone git dat phat gole chane roun ma nick dis game, you jus wate n c, 1 link fo every gole toof in ma mouf!!!!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a college student, I saw a heavily favored North Carolina team come to Grant Field to play the Jackets some time during the 1970s. Besides simply having better players, which was a given for most of our opponents back then, they had a truly outstanding running back whose name escapes me that was being touted as an All America candidate and sure fire NFL prospect. Early in the game he broke the line of scrimmage down in the south end and came up the east sideline. I was sitting in the north stands and had my trusty field glasses on him when suddenly a Tech defensive back came charging from the side and put a perfectly legal but devastating hit on him driving the Tarheel out of bounds. Alas, the hit was made on his knee plus it appeared to me that he fell awkwardly. It turned out to be a career ending knee injury. These things happen and can happen at any moment. Just the way it is.
Early 80's. Mike Niebanc taking out Kelvin Bryant.