GT vs Clemson Media

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think Mr. Benson is taking the wrong idea with some of the questions about Howard. I personally don't want Howard to replace Benson I want a 1 2 punch (Laskey/Days) with the two of them. Being able to split the carries between the two of them will keep the two of them fresh and greatly reduce the wear on Benson. I want both to have amazing seasons, heck I want the team to light up the stat boards, but I also want them to stay healthy. Playing Bback is a tough position where you get pounded and it takes a very driven individual to succeed in it as Benson has.

Yeah, that’s kind of the way football works these days. Just look at the NFL and you’ll see plenty of examples of two back teams.

Kirvonte is great, just a different style. Howard might be better at the goal line, but we won’t know unless he gets a shot. We aren’t very good inside the 10 right now...couldn’t hurt to try something different.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Kirvante and Jerry are great examples of how our recruiting has really picked up. It wasn't that long ago when David Sims was the starting Bback. Imagine if we still had Mills and Marshall how stacked our Bback spot would be!!!
Yes, we have them coming but need them staying.

IMO we would be awesome with a power package at the goal line using these as ab. Ditto having the midline with them - or after they learn to pass block using them in a "max" protect called fly route to WR .
If the Marshall and Mills would just have stayed or not gotten them self kicked of the team, it would have given coach some time to come up ways them and for these guys to really shine.

Benson is very good and we have nothing but upside with him. Howard will get PT and will be ready to be next man up.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
For the moment, Kirvonte has earned every accolade he has received. He has worked very hard and deserves our admiration and respect in stepping in when two more highly recruited players decided to take their wares elsewhere. Kirvonte stuck with us and has proven himself to be an All ACC type football player beyond question. A fine player and outstanding young man. A credit to the Institute.

I agree with all of that. Just feel like his dad is confused on these perceived slights that don’t really exist.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Local reports Clemson is that QB Bryant is only about 80% on his ankle; Which I think this will limit the running plays; But our D needs to give him a wake up call and rattle him early and often

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Local reports Clemson is that QB Bryant is only about 80% on his ankle; Which I think this will limit the running plays; But our D needs to give him a wake up call and rattle him early and often

True enough, whether he is 80 or 100%.

But after facing the CU D in practice - IDK.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Watched a replay of last year's game. Defense held their own. We got to avoid them sacking us 10 yards deep on 3rd and 9 the whole game. Offense really needs to step up against a tough defense and block and EXECUTE!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now that is funny .

I will lose a little respect if a head coach plays a player at 80 percent.

Even if that player at 80% is 140% better than the next player? If you're playing him for the team to win, the guy should play.

But if you mean don't play someone who is injured for the player's interest, since playing can lead to a worse injury, then I agree he shouldn't be played. A bad ankle and a concussion are both injuries that need time and rushing back is very bad.

I'd be surprised if Bryant plays. I don't think Clemson needs him to win and this is all part of the starting player guessing / gaming which goes on by all coaches. We'll see Saturday night.

jacob

Banned
Even if that player at 80% is 140% better than the next player? If you're playing him for the team to win, the guy should play.

But if you mean don't play someone who is injured for the player's interest, since playing can lead to a worse injury, then I agree he shouldn't be played. A bad ankle and a concussion are both injuries that need time and rushing back is very bad.

I'd be surprised if Bryant plays. I don't think Clemson needs him to win and this is all part of the starting player guessing / gaming which goes on by all coaches. We'll see Saturday night.
Their injury report just came out. He's playing

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
Dabo played Watson against USC 3 weeks after tearing his acl at BDS.
He commented to that effect during his presser. He said that players play injured all the time in response to a reporter asking if Bryant would play. It was a bit skeezy for Dabo. I didn’t really have that “win at all costs” vibe from him until then. You could tell that the reporter was baiting him on it being so soon after a concussion. I’m all for being tough but the brain isn’t exactly something you tough out.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I will lose a little respect if a head coach plays a player at 80 percent.

Not sure if you’re joking... If a coach didn’t play a player at less than 100%, there wouldn’t be a program in the country that could field a team after week 2. Ask anyone that’s played any sport at a high-level and they will tell you once you get a third of the way into the season, you’re never going to be 100%.

Benson started and played (well) the whole Wake game a week after getting knocked out of the Miami game. I’d be willing to bet if you asked him how he felt physically, he would say something around 80%. Does that make Paul Johnson a bad person? No. It’s just the way it is.

I can also guarantee you (as someone who has done this myself) that Bryant will say/do anything he can to be on the field Saturday. What do you want the coach to do?