GT vs Central Florida Cancelled

Just read that UCF's facilities are going to house National Guard during recovery efforts.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/article172701331.html

I retract previous statement.
This is unfortunate, but not without value. Basically extends our fall camp by weeks. We have a young group that will benefit from more practice. We have some banged up guys that will benefit from more time to heal. It may very well be like the extra practice a bowl game gives for developing guys for next season too. And it was certainly not a given that the UCF game was a victory for us. Bring on Pitt. This will be a big help for a murderous stretch through October, too.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm kinda glad for our team to get a extra week of practice, but bummed as a college football fan, we've been robbed of one of the few precious chances this fall to watch our team. I wish a fcs team would step up so our Off could get some reps.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Some of us have lost the plot. People had their homes destroyed, friends displaced and entire communities STILL without power. Regardless of whether or not the specific sq footage around the campus was hit the team, their families, coaches and support staff have a massive effort ahead for those affected. Not to climb up on the soap box but we just went through Harvey here in Houston. My area was fortunate and missed most of the damage but business and schools around here are all pitching in to help those that weren't. The game is a long way down list of importance.

In addition to that stark dose of reality I agree with others that this time will be better spent by the team and coaching staff getting better and healthy. TM takes a beating during games and we need to get our ST figured out. Maybe we could do some sort of open scrimmage against ourselves or GaSt or something that was free, but the logistics would be a nightmare even for a local team. I know basketball does some off the books scrimmages during the preseason workout camps but have no clue how much work it takes to organize those and they have 8x fewer players not to mention support staff and coaches.

Let's take a minute to chill out. It sucks to miss a game of GT football but man there are bigger things going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have family in St. Pete and right above Tampa. I am also on the coast. The struggle is real, but has nothing to do football. Games this Saturday have to do with how much you want to play football. If you want to play, there is a way. There is zero impact on recovery, especially if the game is in Atlanta.

Not one struggling person will be hurt by this game. But, those who depend on hours worked will be impacted. They will have less money.

I hope the insurance company looks into the possibility of the game being played before paying out on both games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So the coach told his
I have family in St. Pete and right above Tampa. I am also on the coast. The struggle is real, but has nothing to do football. Games this Saturday have to do with how much you want to play football. If you want to play, there is a way. There is zero impact on recovery, especially if the game is in Atlanta.
Not one struggling person will be hurt by this game. But, those who depend on hours worked will be impacted. They will have less money.

I hope the insurance company looks into the possibility of the game being played before paying out on both games.
I understand your point. I have family in Hudson and Orlando, as well as Miami and Cooper City. None of them would be hurt by the football game being played, but UCF deserves the opportunity to be competitive. The coach decided to treat his players as students rather than privileged athletes (or property of the university) by releasing them Friday to follow their fellow students, who were evacuating the campus. At that time it looked like Orlando was going to have a major hit no matter which of the forecast tracks Irma followed. Now the campus stadium cannot be used for football and the coach cannot get his players back on campus to prepare for a game in Atlanta. Maybe they could have tried harder, so cast some blame on the UCF athletic department if you wish, but what could Stansbury have done differently? Refusing to go along with the UCF decision would have made GT look heartless and the PR hits would have been relentless. We did not need that.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
It doesn't appear that playing sporting events in Florida this weekend will impede recovery efforts or strain state resources. In fact, many of the events are being used to "rally support for the community.". Yet, the game being played the farthest inland is cancelled. It makes you wonder what's really happening...

USF to play in Tampa Friday night:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-florida-bulls-play-home-game-tampa-scheduled

UF vs TN in Gainesville Saturday:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rs-host-tennessee-volunteers-saturday-planned

BUCS to play in Tampa Sunday:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...host-chicago-bears-sunday-wake-hurricane-irma

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it's good for people after a disaster to have a little entertainment/distraction (like a football game) from the horribleness of their situation, and it serves as a reminder that life and normalcy will be restored.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Fact : UCF has canceled the game . Could they have found a way or place to play maybe. Will not playing this week hurt our team ? No 3 games in 13 days is not easy and it gives the players time to heal their bodies and the coaches more time to study Pitt . So who does it hurt not playing this week? The Tech fans who had tickets to the game. Yes they we get their money back but for some it could be the only game they could see in person. Tech fans because it's football season and we just loss one time to see our team play this year, we only get 12 or 13 games in we may a bowl game to see them.

Does it hurt anyone else that we don't get to play this week?
Yes, me now my wife knows and will come up with something I need to do around the house.
( I guess I could hide in the basement )

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Bradley.
Overall, not playing probably helps us.
Pitt has a tough game.We get to plan for Pitt more.We get well maybe.It was going to be a tough game and maybe a loss which would hurt our season badly.
Bottom line--if we lose now to Pitt,we have BIG problems.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with Bradley.
Pitt has a tough game.We get to plan for Pitt more.We get well maybe.It was going to be a tough game and maybe a loss which would hurt our season badly.
It wasnt gonna be a loss lmao it was going to be a shalacking

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
You think CPJ will have game type scrimmage, with refs Saturday, O against scout team D, and D against Scout team O?? Would stay in the weekly rhythm between games and hopefully stay mentally sharp for avoiding illegal procedures, A backs going wrong way, work on special teams, etc..

I heard yesterday that we were considering (or they were considering us) the University of Indiana for October 7, or Ga Southern for this Saturday. I heard today that Indiana has scheduled Charleston Southern for October 7 (guess they were afraid of us), and that Ga Southern said it was too short a turn-around for them for this week. I wonder if any of that is true, and if perhaps we are still looking for a replacement game for October 7.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I heard yesterday that we were considering (or they were considering us) the University of Indiana for October 7, or Ga Southern for this Saturday. I heard today that Indiana has scheduled Charleston Southern for October 7 (guess they were afraid of us), and that Ga Southern said it was too short a turn-around for them for this week. I wonder if any of that is true, and if perhaps we are still looking for a replacement game for October 7.
AJC says no replacement game. I'm glad. I'll take the extra bye week, and keep the bye week before miami while they have to play fsu.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Bradley.

I don't agree with Bradley. The logic seems to be that we could have lost, but now if we have to we can appeal to get to a bowl game. How is having the chance to appeal better than having a chance to win? The logic of the appeal seems to be that we would've won, but the logic of having a chance to appeal seems to be that we would've lost. It makes no sense.

Regardless, I agree with you that beating Pitt becomes a bigger deal.