GT vs Central Florida Cancelled

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Where? Orlando?

Yea. It was reasonably windy for about 10 hours, quite a few lost power. Streets are being cleaned up quickly and things are getting back to normal. Here's a shot of dt from my balcony; it's pretty ok right now. Folks to the south got it much much worse. Saturday would be great for some football.

IMG_1982.PNG

northgajacket

Banned
Don't mean to hijack the thread but besides the 2000 VT game is there any other time Tech had to cancel a football game due to weather?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Well damn. This totally pis&&is me off! Planned a whole trip around this game. It will be a full 6 days after any storm activity. Why cancel this game? There is NO safety issue whatsoever.

Just damn.
????? We just suffered the worst disaster in our county in a couple of decades and we're in SGA.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you have any idea how PO'ed the ACC office in NC is about this? Suddenly we have two byes before division games, while both of our opponents are playing tough teams. Their revenge next year should be something to behold. Our bye will be the first game of the season and we will have 5 conference games in a row on the road before playing uga in athens.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In addition to all the other reasons they cancelled, the UCF stadium is being used as a base for recovery actions this week, as a result of Irma. Too bad they couldn't just relocate the game to Atlanta

Or you know, right down the road to the Citrus Bowl. I really don't know what all went into this decision, but if the AD/President of UCF wanted this game to be played it would have been.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Some of the lack of thought going on here is hard to believe.
- 50% of GA w/o power
- UCF stadium being used by FEMA, fla natl guard, and refugees
- hotels are needed for those losing their homes
-airports closed, I think
- heard one report that UCF field may need to be replaced, IDK
- and just, in a 48 or so hour period, move the game?

Plus I think GT needs a small break right now. See if we can find a D

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Some of the lack of thought going on here is hard to believe.
- 50% of GA w/o power
- UCF stadium being used by FEMA, fla natl guard, and refugees
- hotels are needed for those losing their homes
-airports closed, I think
- heard one report that UCF field may need to be replaced, IDK
- and just, in a 48 or so hour period, move the game?

Plus I think GT needs a small break right now. See if we can find a D

Ummm, no. As mentioned, Orlando is open for normal business tomorrow. Disney never lost power throughout. I will be willing to bet lots of money that Disney hotels aren't housing evacuees. There are some fantasies floating around about how bad this storm has been in Orlando (and Atlanta). Cancelling stuff today? Sure. Cancelling stuff Saturday? Seriously? Let's cancel the next Falcons game, why don't we?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Ummm, no. As mentioned, Orlando is open for normal business tomorrow. Disney never lost power throughout. I will be willing to bet lots of money that Disney hotels aren't housing evacuees. There are some fantasies floating around about how bad this storm has been in Orlando (and Atlanta). Cancelling stuff today? Sure. Cancelling stuff Saturday? Seriously? Let's cancel the next Falcons game, why don't we?
There's no effort to cancel the UF-UT game. Hell, there's even talk of moving it to MB in Atlanta. Did the hurricane magically bypass Disney & Gainesville? There's no desire by UCF to play this game because they don't wants their butts kicked. That's it, plain & simple.