GT v Tarholes Post Game

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Despite the turnovers our Jackets found a way! We're seeing this team grow up right before our eyes and I am looking forward to the next game against duh U. I think it is clear this is Tobias Oliver's team from here on out and this team is capable of running the table! The team made it harder on themselves than they should have but they got the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe but Miami will have the team speed to beat us to the corner on the speed option and triple option. We will have to run effectively up the middle and complete some passes to move those safeties back. No turnovers is an absolute must. Time of possession will be critical in that game. We don't need to get into a track meet with them. Limit their possessions and get their offense antsy and we just might pull the upset.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Maybe but Miami will have the team speed to beat us to the corner on the speed option and triple option. We will have to run effectively up the middle and complete some passes to move those safeties back. No turnovers is an absolute must. Time of possession will be critical in that game. We don't need to get into a track meet with them. Limit their possessions and get their offense antsy and we just might pull the upset.

Biggest thing, imo, is how the O line plays. If they dominate as they did in the VT game it bodes well for Tech. If they play like they did today it will be a long day.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

That team speed can actually work against you in the zone option you can run yourself out of the play. VT did that a good bit

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Some good things to take away from today... we blew a solid 2nd half lead, but we didn't fold. We got 2 picks and found a way to seal the deal. TO is CLEARLY a better fit for this offense than TQM, and it was good to see Johnson stick with Oliver. Will be interesting to see if he continues to give Marshall a series or two and turns it over, or at what point we just call it what it is, that TO is the guy.

Grateful for TQM's hard wok and investment into the program, but it's time to move forward. With the majority of the OL returning, with maybe moving Mason to AB next year to get him on the field with Benson, I have confidence the offense can keep moving forward and be dangerous this year and next. If we can get to 7-5, I tihnk there's no question Johnson returns next year. If we go 6-6, I think the bowl game would be relevant to what we do next. But... there's a little life and positivity again in the program. I don't want to put it all on TQM, one player does not win/lose games... but there's a clear difference in the eye test with TO running the offense.

Imagine that, a quarterback being a better QUARTERBACK than an athlete or running back playing quarterback.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The simple answer is CPJ went for it on 4th to end the half was to SCORE. We get the ball to start the second half. 14 point swing in our favor and they quit. He went for the throat. I’ll take a killer instinct coach who wants to win and believes in his team any day.
I agree. Chan was the epitome of a coach that did not take chances. CPJ maybe too aggressive but if he believes our team can get the yards he will go for it. Turn out well at the end of the game

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Any win over the Tarholes is a great win
Yes, I used to be ambivalent about both them and Duke and now I can't stand either one of them but for slightly different reasons. Imagine a long time Tech fan getting worked up over UNC and Duke. What is the world coming to when in the old days the big games were UGA, Auburn, Tennessee and Alabama.

Animal02

Banned
He is not 100% and hasn't been since the USF game. The mugging he took in the Duke game just made it worse.
I agree, I still think he runs the O far better than TO, but it is obvious he has lost the “edge” and that puts TO in a better position to win games. I think we will see TO’s production drop as the remaining teams plan for his game vs the 3O

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Lotta ugly. But the prettiest catch of the game belongs to Anree. If you live in Atlanta go buy him some Five Guys or something every day for the rest of this week.

For the life of me I do not understand Coach Fedora's thinking in that situation running a little crossing pattern like that when you have number 17 able to out jump and out muscle our corners. Just throw the ball on a fly pattern and let him go get it. Correction it may have been a drag route but with Raycom you end up doing a lot of guessing.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree, I still think he runs the O far better than TO, but it is obvious he has lost the “edge” and that puts TO in a better position to win games. I think we will see TO’s production drop as the remaining teams plan for his game vs the 3O

Possibly but there is one factor that no one mentions as it will open a proverbial can of worms for sure. What if, the team actually responds better to TO than to TaQuon? I am beginning to wonder about that. Also, it is entirely possible that given more reps Tobias will prove to be the better passer and possibly improve in both his ball handling and foot work on the option plays.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yes he probably is but when I watched UNC today I did not get the impression that t his was necessarily a bad team or a team that had quit on its coach. They seem to be one of those teams that is not playing to its potential given the talent on the team. Would not be surprised to see them beat Duke.
I think they beat Western Carolina and that's it