GT-UNC IS OFFICIALLY A WHITEOUT

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just got back from a 7 day cruise Sunday, so this was definitely a nice "welcome home" gift.

Kudos to the fans who went to the game. McCamish looked and sounded like it was ROCKING.

I've said all season, GT is as good or as bad as we want to be. We can play (and win) against just about any team, but we can also lose to just about any team. This game probably should have been a comfortable win, but as always, we have turnover lapses. Luckily, the turnover lapse when we had an 8 point lead in the second half only lasted a few possessions.

LOVED seeing us changeup defenses and making UNC adjust. That was one thing I always liked about Pastner's teams. The unpredictability of what the other team would see on the offensive end that would take them time to adjust after every defensive change from us.

Apparently, there were a LOT of elite recruits in attendance at McCamish last night, so they witnessed first hand the ceiling of this team under Stoudamire. I hear there were a couple of 5 stars there among a crowd of elite recruits.

One theme I'm seeing quite a bit on social media about GT basketball is this was the type of atmosphere GT can have and use to have. GT basketball isn't dead, it's just been dormant. Every once in a while, the sleeping giant awakens...but goes back to sleep. Hopefully, the sleeping giant fully awakens soon and takes back our place among the best programs in the country.

BTW, "Georgia Tech" is STILL trending on twitter.

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
I care! Every win, especially with two 5* recruits there, is a good win.
I was saying who cares about my first statement. Just enjoy the win even if you don’t think this game proves anything. It was directed towards some other posters.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
One theme I'm seeing quite a bit on social media about GT basketball is this was the type of atmosphere GT can have and use to have. GT basketball isn't dead, it's just been dormant. Every once in a while, the sleeping giant awakens...but goes back to sleep. Hopefully, the sleeping giant fully awakens soon and takes back our place among the best programs in the country.
Just need a bit more consistency....the losses to "weaker" teams take all the air out of the sails

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Just got back from a 7 day cruise Sunday, so this was definitely a nice "welcome home" gift.

Kudos to the fans who went to the game. McCamish looked and sounded like it was ROCKING.

I've said all season, GT is as good or as bad as we want to be. We can play (and win) against just about any team, but we can also lose to just about any team. This game probably should have been a comfortable win, but as always, we have turnover lapses. Luckily, the turnover lapse when we had an 8 point lead in the second half only lasted a few possessions.

LOVED seeing us changeup defenses and making UNC adjust. That was one thing I always liked about Pastner's teams. The unpredictability of what the other team would see on the offensive end that would take them time to adjust after every defensive change from us.

Apparently, there were a LOT of elite recruits in attendance at McCamish last night, so they witnessed first hand the ceiling of this team under Stoudamire. I hear there were a couple of 5 stars there among a crowd of elite recruits.

BTW, "Georgia Tech" is STILL trending on twitter.

Definitely no reason we can’t fill an 8600 seat place. It’s not 55K.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just need a bit more consistency....the losses to "weaker" teams take all the air out of the sails

100% this. Can't follow up a good win with a loss to a bad team.

Stoudamire touched on this in his post game locker room speech. The gap between our ceiling and floor is probably the widest gap of any team in the country. We've got to raise our floor.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Sturdivants playing some great basketball Ive been hard on him in the past but playing really confident and has been really good.
I missed the first half and early part of the second. I have it recorded so I’ll take a look later, but question with regard to Sturdivant…
Saw him handling the ball as PG (starting the offense) more than he has in previous games. He was also playing that role with Nait on the floor several times, so it wasn’t to get Nait rest.
Question is: was he handling the ball because of his hot hand or was he handling it before he got going also? I’m curious if it was strategic / planned going into the game. Sometimes guys (especially shooters) need to touch the ball and get into the flow of the game. Maybe the decision to let him handle led to his hot hand and not vice versa? Hoping we’ve found something there that not only spells Nait but opens up another dynamic on offense.
Maybe the loss of Ndongo prompted the change… thought being that Nait may need to be more of a scorer?
Anyone like to opine before I get to sit down with my recording?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I missed the first half and early part of the second. I have it recorded so I’ll take a look later, but question with regard to Sturdivant…
Saw him handling the ball as PG (starting the offense) more than he has in previous games. He was also playing that role with Nait on the floor several times, so it wasn’t to get Nait rest.
Question is: was he handling the ball because of his hot hand or was he handling it before he got going also? I’m curious if it was strategic / planned going into the game. Sometimes guys (especially shooters) need to touch the ball and get into the flow of the game. Maybe the decision to let him handle led to his hot hand and not vice versa? Hoping we’ve found something there that not only spells Nait but opens up another dynamic on offense.
Maybe the loss of Ndongo prompted the change… thought being that Nait may need to be more of a scorer?
Anyone like to opine before I get to sit down with my recording?
Sturdy has been used off the bench to give us a spark for the same reason. He can create his own shot and Self-generate points.

He is also leading the team in FT% so having him handle the ball when in double bonus makes a lot of sense. While we don’t get some of the craftiness of the pocket pass game Nait is developing, he has his own moves and has been helping “young Simba” develop some left hand finishes around the rim.

It’s been used periodically throughout the season to have them both on the floor and Kyle bringing the ball up.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Great win!!! My brother is a huge Carolina fan (that was griping about fouls the whole second half), so that made it even greater. Inside guys really stepped up without Baye. Frustrating team to watch because our record could be and should be much better than it is. I love the win though!!!
UNC fans believe all their losses every year are because the refs screwed then. Biggest whiners in College Basketball. Far worse than Duke fans!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I thought sure Teddy was going to call a foul there at the end. Maybe he felt like he owed us one, which he did.
It would have been a shame to call a foul on really a no-call and letting such a call determine the outcome of a game when the teams have played for 39 minutes and 56 seconds. Even Teddy realized that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
yep, but if we were up there /away from home , 80% chance that foul gets called.
Oh and make no mistake, that was absolutely a foul.

ewan mcgregor laughing GIF

Haha. Payback is a bish ain't it, tar feets!

ACC commissioner big mad rn.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
yep, but if we were up there /away from home , 80% chance that foul gets called.
Very similar to Duke Clemson last Saturday but the foul was called and proctor hit 2 free throws for the win with 1 second on the clock.
I actually thought Davis initiated the contact around the foul line and I think it was Kelly who may have gotten a piece of the shot without reaching in. Good move by Stoudamire to but a taller and athletic guy on Davis.