GT to play at MB stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This is showing Tech's investment in the program. Todd is trying to make as much money for Tech in any way possible. If you guys want to see things like the new edge center, expanded staff, etc, we will have to do things like this. It's not ideal but this is how it's going to get done.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I HATED the only game we played at MBS and have not been back to it since....and that only had a little to do with the outcome. The audio was terrible, sight lines are much worse than at BDS, and the "feel" of the game was NOT like a college football game at a good college stadium should be.

I get playing Alcorn State there...fine. The kids probably get a charge out of playing on an NFL stadium and maybe it helps with recruiting. But I will be very p***ed off if we move ACC games there (or Notre Dame).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I HATED the only game we played at MBS and have not been back to it since....and that only had a little to do with the outcome. The audio was terrible, sight lines are much worse than at BDS, and the "feel" of the game was NOT like a college football game at a good college stadium should be.

I get playing Alcorn State there...fine. The kids probably get a charge out of playing on an NFL stadium and maybe it helps with recruiting. But I will be very p***ed off if we move ACC games there (or Notre Dame).
I don’t like it either but it should be teams with a giant fanbase or it makes no sense at all. If it’s a cash grab we better be grabbing a whole lotta cash.

Animal02

Banned
I don’t like it either but it should be teams with a giant fanbase or it makes no sense at all. If it’s a cash grab we better be grabbing a whole lotta cash.
If it is simply a cash grab, it is the worst of the worst ideas. It is one thing going somewhere as a destination.....simply going across town to accommodate your opponents fans is horrible optics. The brand you are building is "we will do anything for a buck"

Animal02

Banned

This is just another way to turn off students from attending games.
Look at UM and Pitt......playing in NFL stadiums is bad.
I remember as a student, Tech played many BB games in the Omni.......skipped most of them simply because of the hassle getting there.

Animal02

Banned
This is showing Tech's investment in the program. Todd is trying to make as much money for Tech in any way possible. If you guys want to see things like the new edge center, expanded staff, etc, we will have to do things like this. It's not ideal but this is how it's going to get done.
Just making money by selling out to opponents fans is not a wise investment for the future.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm not opposed to playing some games at MBS if Tech can make it a truly home game, and I think there is good possibility they can. MBS looking for more ways to utilize the facility. Comfort seating, climate control, low concession pricing, beer sales all make this attractive to the general Atlanta population. With lots of Tech stuff on sale, only Tech markings on the field, good entertaining team play, we can rebuild our brand in Atlanta if our coaches and teams are successful. For BIG games, it can expand our attendance without any capital expense. Lots of upside possibilities. And if it doesn't work out, we don't have to continue it. But if they are made into 50/50 games, I violently oppose this idea.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
I'm not opposed to playing some games at MBS if Tech can make it a truly home game, and I think there is good possibility they can. MBS looking for more ways to utilize the facility. Comfort seating, climate control, low concession pricing, beer sales all make this attractive to the general Atlanta population. With lots of Tech stuff on sale, only Tech markings on the field, good entertaining team play, we can rebuild our brand in Atlanta if our coaches and teams are successful. For BIG games, it can expand our attendance without any capital expense. Lots of upside possibilities. And if it doesn't work out, we don't have to continue it. But if they are made into 50/50 games, I violently oppose this idea.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
There is no upside outside of a cash
grab. NFL stadiums are a horrible environment for college games. This is not rebuilding a brand, this is pulling it apart to make a quick buck.
One of the biggest pieces of Tech's "brand" is it's traditions. From playing in the oldest D1 field, the stadium in the heart of the campus, the whistle, the Varsity post game, etc. etc.
This is a sellout plain and simple.
You want the comforts of the NFL.....mgo cheer for the falcons.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of people are going to rip the AD for this. And for the record, I don’t like giving up big games to neutral sites. However, I understand why we’re doing this and the trade off is worth it IMO. TStan took a huge leap of faith in blowing up the assistant coaching salary budget for CGC. It can’t be emphasized enough how bad it was before, and how much better it is now. On top of that, we are making a big investment to modernize the edge center. I would much rather have Brent Key and a very nice edge center over two home games. These are worthwhile investments that will payoff.

Animal02

Banned
A lot of people are going to rip the AD for this. And for the record, I don’t like giving up big games to neutral sites. However, I understand why we’re doing this and the trade off is worth it IMO. TStan took a huge leap of faith in blowing up the assistant coaching salary budget for CGC. It can’t be emphasized enough how bad it was before, and how much better it is now. On top of that, we are making a big investment to modernize the edge center. I would much rather have Brent Key and a very nice edge center over two home games. These are worthwhile investments that will payoff.
Putting the $$$$ ahead of everything else is short sighted and not good long term investments. Especially when it means just selling more tickets to opponents fans.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Posted by GT football account this morning. Caption says "soon".
Screenshot_20190226-075907_Instagram.jpg

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Putting the $$$$ ahead of everything else is short sighted and not good long term investments. Especially when it means just selling more tickets to opponents fans.

You're welcome to your opinion, but if there's one thing I'll say, Todd Stansbury is not shortsighted.

He's the only AD since Homer Rice to develop a coherent plan to put all of GT Athletics in a position to compete in the near & long term, as well as putting the personal effort to go out and raise the funds.

Additionally, you can not like it, but it's easy to counteract your argument by noting that our new head football coach can go out and sell recruits on playing top flight opponents in an NFL stadium, likely garnering high level exposure. Certainly sounds like a long term investment in the future to me.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This is mind bogglingly stupid. Season ticket sales are going great, people are locking in their seats for the upcoming seasons and you give away your two best games to the MBS. Neutral games like UT I understand but the only appearence by ND in 10 years and you move the game? Apparently there IS a better venue for college football in Atlanta than BDS. If its a construction thing, move all the games, otherwise this just kills any "branding" momentum you have. Just dumb.

And they probably won’t let us bring fish into the stadium, either!

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let me jump in with my overboard reaction before hearing the facts.

I don't like it. I don't like MBS. I think it is a firetrap. I think it is a giant taxpayer funded trophy to Arthur Blank's ego. I think it is a terrible place to watch a game unless you are in a suite. I pay good money to sit in my seats at BDS and I like it there.

On the other hand, alcohol sales sounds nice. I would enjoy playing the first game patsy in the AC instead of the late August heat. Maybe have a doubleheader with some small programs like KSU so everybody gets to see two games. I know recruits would like it.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
You're welcome to your opinion, but if there's one thing I'll say, Todd Stansbury is not shortsighted.

He's the only AD since Homer Rice to develop a coherent plan to put all of GT Athletics in a position to compete in the near & long term, as well as putting the personal effort to go out and raise the funds.

Additionally, you can not like it, but it's easy to counteract your argument by noting that our new head football coach can go out and sell recruits on playing top flight opponents in an NFL stadium, likely garnering high level exposure. Certainly sounds like a long term investment in the future to me.
I agree with this. And just to add more: our athletic department is not at a financial place where we can afford to be idealistic. Every decision has tradeoffs. Ideally, we would fill every BDS game with white & gold and have an SEC football budget for assistant coaching salaries and football facilities. Unfortunately, that’s not where we’re at...and to get there, we are going to have to compromise and weigh opportunities like this that carry financial upside at the cost of slightly displeasing diehard fans like us.

Status
Not open for further replies.