GT to play at MB stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClinicalCowboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Y’all want some cheese with all your whining???? Clemson’s fans have outnumbered us 60/40 during the past decade at BDS. You honestly think we’re about to flip the switch and it be 80/20 gold and white this year? It’s a brilliant idea, why get outnumbered 3 to 1 at home when you can get outnumbered at MBS and make money off of it and get a lot of attention. Y’all were all fired up about trying to build a brand... well this is how you do it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We travel from home hotel to bds or mbs.

Nd travels from home to ATL to hotel to bds or mbs.

We still have home field.

Mbs - could get non standard ATL based ( sidewalk) fans to game. Maybe they will like our new product and buy season tickets.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I am okay with doing a Chick-fil-A game there, we get $. But to move an ACC home game there... Hell no !

If you can move an ACC game and control ALL the tickets (except for visitor allotment), plus make more money than a home game at BDS, what is the downside besides sentimental feelings?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
If you can move an ACC game and control ALL the tickets (except for visitor allotment), plus make more money than a home game at BDS, what is the downside besides sentimental feelings?
So if we make more money in all games at MBS you would be in favor of moving all games there?

Animal02

Banned
Simple....when you rarely sell out your own stadium, you are not going to sell an additional 30k tickets to YOUR fans. You have turn a home game into a neutral field solely for a few extra dollars. Why not just sign a deal to play Bama at Bama and take the dollars for the loss

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Do you really think "control ALL the tickets" will happen?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Play 2021 home schedule at mbs while bds gets extensive 18 month facelift. Read past articles. ADTS & HCGC have done multiple walk throughs of bds on game day improvement. So maybe a good thing. Only big game that year is mutts at home. Rather not have them in our stadium.

Last edited:

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
So if we make more money in all games at MBS you would be in favor of moving all games there?

You're offering an extreme hypothetical. The reality is that GT is running a budget deficit in the millions, so this is an avenue to relieve the budget stress. I think any objective person would make a decision based on the numbers. Throw in that it's one of the top stadiums in the country with the cheapest concessions, plus it'll be an attractive recruiting tool.

Bottomline, I'll support our coaches and players no matter where they play. Hard for me to muster up any outrage.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson doesn't really show up for our games (although there have been a lot of noon games in the series recently). Don't know whether the dome would change things. I do remember the 2011 game being quite electric at night with a good crowd.

I think I'd prefer moving the Clemson game vs the ND game, because there would be less sidewalk types showing up. Which probably means the ND game would be the one moving over.

I doubt we'd give up 2 home games in a year, especially both marquee games, unless it was with a promise to do a Chick-fil-a kick off game. Which likely will be easier now that CPJ is gone.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Do you really think "control ALL the tickets" will happen?

Control ALL the tickets = being able to seat season ticket holders anywhere in the stadium rather than just one side + getting revenue from tickets sold to either team's fans

I have no doubt that marquee opponents will still bring a lot of fans. It's the reality of the last two decades of Georgia Tech football. Just pointing out that moving a home game to MBS is different that playing in CFA against Tenn.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Play 2021 home schedule at mbs while bds gets extensive 18 month facelift. Read past articles. ADTS & HCGC have done multiple walk throughs of bds on fan improvement. So maybe a good thing. Only big game that year is mutts at home. Rather not have then in our stadium.
That makes sense from a logistical standpoint, and I don't see any reason to complain about that.

Animal02

Banned
You're offering an extreme hypothetical. The reality is that GT is running a budget deficit in the millions, so this is an avenue to relieve the budget stress. I think any objective person would make a decision based on the numbers. Throw in that it's one of the top stadiums in the country with the cheapest concessions, plus it'll be an attractive recruiting tool.

Bottomline, I'll support our coaches and players no matter where they play. Hard for me to muster up any outrage.
Short term gain and long term loss pissing off a lot of long time fans.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Since Gary Stokan is supposed to be at the press conference, I would assume that it will be run by the Peach Bowl and be a neutral site game. That would mean that approximately half of the tickets would go to GT and half to the visiting team probably split in the end zones. That would also mean that the PA announcing and graphics on the overhead screens would also be neutral. No whistle on GT first downs, and celebrations of opponent first downs.

We won't know for sure until the announcements, and maybe not really know after the announcements. IF GT can put GT season ticket holders in good seats(Suite ticket in suites instead of between the 40s, People with 40-40 yard line tickets between the 40s instead of past the 10 yard line), use a PA announcer who is obviously pro-GT, and control the screens and PA music to ensure that it is all pro-GT, then my reaction will be more positive. IF GT plays a conference home game as a true neutral site game in which: the opposing fans get as good or better seats that GT season ticket holders, the PA announcer is excited about every big play including the opponent's, and the graphics and music are neutral to both teams: then I will be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.