GT signing day update ...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A roster is 85 ships and capped at 105 as of my last memory. I doubt alabama had a roster of 140 since it would be a blatant violation of roster mandated by NCAA. We too, have a roster of around 105 any given year.

If a player has graduated, but still has eligibility, they are still on scholarship provided they enroll in graduate school. If not they have to move on. You can't graduate say in May, then play the fall semester unless you are enrolled in some minimum standard set of classes. All NCAA players have a min course load requirement. The only time you can play, is if you grad in december, and have a bowl game or playoff game.

So yes, running a player off who has a degree, but eligibility, is not a bad idea to turn over the roster, and the way you do it is make sure they don't get admitted to the graduate school

I don't think "post-graduate" players have to be in graduate school. Perhaps they can't officially graduate but be taking extra classes beyond what is necessary, but I don't think so.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A roster is 85 ships and capped at 105 as of my last memory. I doubt alabama had a roster of 140 since it would be a blatant violation of roster mandated by NCAA. We too, have a roster of around 105 any given year.

If a player has graduated, but still has eligibility, they are still on scholarship provided they enroll in graduate school. If not they have to move on. You can't graduate say in May, then play the fall semester unless you are enrolled in some minimum standard set of classes. All NCAA players have a min course load requirement. The only time you can play, is if you grad in december, and have a bowl game or playoff game.

So yes, running a player off who has a degree, but eligibility, is not a bad idea to turn over the roster, and the way you do it is make sure they don't get admitted to the graduate school
What? Make sure they are not admitted to graduate school?

I would think most players thinking about graduate school would want to go somewhere else. But those rare unicorns who want to stay at Tech should not be discouraged. Or were you speaking tongue in cheek?

In the end this should still be about education. Tech has had a great history of not letting the tail wag the dog and I hope that continues.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

College rules on roster size are not consistent. I believe 105 is the official limit before classes start. After that there are lots of qualifications and loopholes. You could theoretically add as many players as you wanted through the course of a season so long as you didn't make more than 70 players travel and you never had more than 85 on scholarship. BYU currently averages 125 players during the season. What Alabama has done in the past was "very special" and either meant they had friends in the NCAA or they were brilliant at rolling dice.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
https://ramblinwreck.com/national-signing-day-set-for-wednesday/

Coach Geoff Collins will complete his first signing class as Georgia Tech head coach on Wednesday, February 6. Tune in for full coverage of National Signing Day including a live show at 10:00 a.m. presented by Nissan. The show will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.

NATIONAL SIGNING SHOW, PRESENTED BY NISSAN
Wednesday, Feb. 6 – 10-11 a.m.
Signing Day Central & Watch Live

Coach Collins Press Conference
Wednesday, Feb. 6 - 11:00 a.m.
Streamed LIVE on Facebook

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
College rules on roster size are not consistent. I believe 105 is the official limit before classes start. After that there are lots of qualifications and loopholes. You could theoretically add as many players as you wanted through the course of a season so long as you didn't make more than 70 players travel and you never had more than 85 on scholarship. BYU currently averages 125 players during the season. What Alabama has done in the past was "very special" and either meant they had friends in the NCAA or they were brilliant at rolling dice.

Yeah u r right.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What? Make sure they are not admitted to graduate school?

I would think most players thinking about graduate school would want to go somewhere else. But those rare unicorns who want to stay at Tech should not be discouraged. Or were you speaking tongue in cheek?

In the end this should still be about education. Tech has had a great history of not letting the tail wag the dog and I hope that continues.

No. I am not kidding. And it has in fact happened here and i wish not to go into details. If the coach doesnt want you on his team he has that right and some coaches do this to make sure they transfer. He got his degree. So the whole education thing is not a great point. No one owes an sa a grad degree too.

Life in business. We will still want kids to do well here as a total person but collins is as much about selling the nfl as the school. He recognizes its a business and its why he is building brand. Brands matter in business and in how we manage the program

My point is. If the kid graduates. Job done. He got schooled. And played. If the coach wants to change the roster over we dont owe a graduate degree. We can move on with no guilt and quite honestly i think its a great success story not a bad one. That means he got his degree faster than the 5 years and we can free a ship up. This scenario prooves we still value them getting their degree. Otherwise we wouldn’t have these scenarios.

Btw. This exact thing will play out with around 5 guys on our roster in may iirc. Degree and eligibility. I garauntee 3-4 or all dont stay here We will be at 88 ships if not.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think "post-graduate" players have to be in graduate school. Perhaps they can't officially graduate but be taking extra classes beyond what is necessary, but I don't think so.

Yeah i think thats true. If they don’t petition to graduate, and use the last semester for more courses for a minor or certificate as long as the hours are met they can play. I think thats is right

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No. I am not kidding. And it has in fact happened here and i wish not to go into details. If the coach doesnt want you on his team he has that right and some coaches do this to make sure they transfer. He got his degree. So the whole education thing is not a great point. No one owes an sa a grad degree too.

Life in business. We will still want kids to do well here as a total person but collins is as much about selling the nfl as the school. He recognizes its a business and its why he is building brand. Brands matter in business and in how we manage the program

My point is. If the kid graduates. Job done. He got schooled. And played. If the coach wants to change the roster over we dont owe a graduate degree. We can move on with no guilt and quite honestly i think its a great success story not a bad one. That means he got his degree faster than the 5 years and we can free a ship up. This scenario prooves we still value them getting their degree. Otherwise we wouldn’t have these scenarios.
I don't disagree so much as I just don't understand. Why block a student from going to the grad program that is best for his career? Maybe this is semantics.
It doesn't use up a scholarship and it doesn't take another more worthy player's place on the team.

Is there concern that the player's lack of playing time might cause resentment that infects the team? Is this part of the business culture?

Thanks for being patient with me but I am having trouble understanding running off a player just because he no longer needs a scholarship.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree so much as I just don't understand. Why block a student from going to the grad program that is best for his career? Maybe this is semantics.
It doesn't use up a scholarship and it doesn't take another more worthy player's place on the team.

Is there concern that the player's lack of playing time might cause resentment that infects the team? Is this part of the business culture?

Thanks for being patient with me but I am having trouble understanding running off a player just because he no longer needs a scholarship.

No u are missing my point. If he graduates and has eligibility left unless u kick him off the team and pull his ship from him, if he goes to graduate school then gt pays, he is still on the team and occupying a ship for that final year. Therfore yes, it does use up a scholarship. One that could otherwise be used for a recruit that same year. That is the whole concept of the one year graduate athlete or transfer as well. Except they come in from the outside.

If its internal and the kid stays on the team and wants to go to grad program and expects gt to pay, then boom. Roster management kicks in lol

GT_EE78

Banned

does anyone know whether or not a player who has redshirted before the season start still counts toward that 85 roster limit? ( I know there was a redshirt rule change last year regarding the 4 game limit but ....)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
does anyone know whether or not a player who has redshirted before the season start still counts toward that 85 roster limit? ( I know there was a redshirt rule change last year regarding the 4 game limit but ....)

Not sure of the question but if u r in school and were admitted under a scholarship offer regardless of if you are being redshirted or not you count against the 85. So that means at any time. Redshirting doesnt have anything to do with it. Its admitted in school under scholarship

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nice that we have more connections to Pennsylvania, now. Plenty of good prospects up there.
That is so logical!
I also like the point about better winter weather .
Maybe we could get some students from Detroit too. Na, they will only come after we win big on the field.The