GT signing day update ...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You are absolutely correct that we showed love for Trent and were even excited that he came on campus. The big question that you and I will never know is if he would have gotten in. I for one think about the man hours required to manage a kid like Trent to keep him on the field after he arrives. I think of the time and effort spent on Custis and he never graced the field. On the other hand, I want to believe that Collins could have closed the deal on Tuitt (Truet, Magrewit, whatever) who chose N.D. over us as a 5 star with no academic issues. Maybe his MAMA liked Waffle House.:)

Tuitt will always be the one that hurt. Consensus 5 star that wanted badly to come to GT...then momma over ruled him. I can't remember the last time GT didn't impress anyone's mom. I know 5 star Demetris Robertson's mom LOVED GT and wanted him to come here.

Will be interesting to see how this staff closes on those type of recruits.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I like him as a TE development. I think he has a nice frame and solid hands - some upside potential as a TE.

With that said, he’s 6’5 210, and is going to need a solid year in the weight room to become physical enough to play TE. I like him as a PWO because it gives us a chance to assess progress before making further commitments. No - I don’t feel bad that he doesn’t have a scholarship. He went to Milton HS - his parents should be able to afford room and board, and any GT student should have Hope their first year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Looks good. I hope the fact that Yates is signed will help us keep hold of him. Now that he's a pwo with us, might not some other P5 with a scholarship to give take notice and dangle it in front of him? I hope he sticks with us.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The Staff wouldn’t recruit someone who isn’t qualified.
The Staff wouldn’t recruit someone who they don't think can get qualified.
FIFY.

Really, now. We've seen every staff at Tech since the beginning of time recruit and try to sign players who turn out to never make the grades, even with multiple bites at the apple. Hope springs eternal in football coaches as well as the rest of us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
20181110_135918.jpg
The Staff wouldn’t recruit someone who they don't think can get qualified.
FIFY.

Really, now. We've seen every staff at Tech since the beginning of time recruit and try to sign players who turn out to never make the grades, even with multiple bites at the apple. Hope springs eternal in football coaches as well as the rest of us.
I was at W21 post game tailgate w flea and decided to check out the ME building (bme69). Lots of labs open and few students working .
We saw this FREE TUTORING sign by Shell.
There were similar other signs.
The old gt - =" Good luck , your on your own " is no more for students and players. Will and other players say it's still hard but it can be done if you work.

I am hopefull the "total person" concept will be a big success.
Lots of solid 3 stars and a good mix of 4 stars for a few classes will make us attractive to high 4 stars. Year 4 recruits should cement us moving into the p5 narrative.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Tuitt will always be the one that hurt. Consensus 5 star that wanted badly to come to GT...then momma over ruled him. I can't remember the last time GT didn't impress anyone's mom. I know 5 star Demetris Robertson's mom LOVED GT and wanted him to come here.

Will be interesting to see how this staff closes on those type of recruits.
They'll win some (I hope) and lose a lot more. That won't be because of their effort or anything involving Tech. The problem with the really top recruits is that they have so many options. With most young men who could get a scholarship to play football, it's a matter of limited offers and taking the best fit available. For the 5 stars, it's a matter of having options that allow you to pick the offer that is closest to your perfect school/program. The parental units and the buds/girlfriends can make a difference largely because there isn't any reason to not pick a school they favor; all of the choices are very close to optimal.

There is one thing that won't change at Tech, however, and that is the curriculum. That'll continue to be a major stumbling block for many potential players; a lot of young people don't want to take STEM courses to get, say, a communications degree. How the new staff works around this will be a major test. It is also the reason I keep saying we need better recruiting infrastructure. That is probably more important for our success then anything else.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so possibly 23. Good catch.

I can’t even keep up with what our limit is right now...if that’s technically oversigning or not. I am guessing it is by 3-4 but we may that many early graduates this spring without even worrying about transfers.

I have a question. Suppose (even if it's highly unlikely) we don't have attrition equal to the oversigning. What then? I mean, what happens in that case? I'm not at all being negative about oversigning - I'm just asking what is the procedure we follow if attrition isn't want we expect. Would somebody have to lose a scholarship, or what?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a question. Suppose (even if it's highly unlikely) we don't have attrition equal to the oversigning. What then? I mean, what happens in that case? I'm not at all being negative about oversigning - I'm just asking what is the procedure we follow if attrition isn't want we expect. Would somebody have to lose a scholarship, or what?
Yes.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

So, who would that most probably be? One of the new signees or one of the old ones? Because we've never pulled a scholarship here, to my recollection. (I don't mean who in particular, just whether it would be a new signee or an old one).

Deleted member 2897

Well in our defense, Ive read rumors that instead of having a bunch of transfers (we had 0 undergrads), folks were going to wait until after spring practice. That type of approach is certainly their right if that’s true, but it makes it extremely difficult on our coaches.

I wouldnt be surprised if we lose 2-3 after this spring just to graduation. So that amount of overage doesnt worry me too much.

Deleted member 2897

So, who would that most probably be? One of the new signees or one of the old ones? Because we've never pulled a scholarship here, to my recollection. (I don't mean who in particular, just whether it would be a new signee or an old one).

If anybody is banged up all the time and unsure about playing, they can be medically disqualified yet still maintain their full scholarship. There’s a lot of options.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Well in our defense, Ive read rumors that instead of having a bunch of transfers (we had 0 undergrads), folks were going to wait until after spring practice. That type of approach is certainly their right if that’s true, but it makes it extremely difficult on our coaches.

I wouldnt be surprised if we lose 2-3 after this spring just to graduation. So that amount of overage doesnt worry me too much.

Agree. I think our staff knows what a safe number is and I bet we still have one or two left for a transfer (or Wells) when all is said and done. The alternative would be being several under the limit which is effectively self-imposed probation.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree. I think our staff knows what a safe number is and I bet we still have one or two left for a transfer (or Wells) when all is said and done. The alternative would be being several under the limit which is effectively self-imposed probation.

I understand that and I agree, but I was just asking what if Murphy's Law kicks in, and the best laid plans go astray.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If anybody is banged up all the time and unsure about playing, they can be medically disqualified yet still maintain their full scholarship. There’s a lot of options.
That is a good point. Also, the rule is that we can only have 85 scholarship players on the roster. The school can also keep a kid on scholarship however they wish if he is not on the roster.

I think we would look at a kid with one or two semesters til graduation, who was not getting any PT, and ask him to concentrate on school at GT's expense (and forego his last year on the team). That would not be a bad deal most marginal players.