Gt schedule 2018

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'll take a stab at USF....

USF graduated 25 Seniors/Graduate students after the 2017 football season. Of those, 18 (I think) were either starters is 2nd team backups. On offense, the losses to graduation include the starting quarterback, three offensive linemen, three running backs, four wide receivers (2 with lots of playing time), and three tight ends. They also lost two placekickers and their punter. On defense, losses include 3 defensive linemen, 2 linebackers (1 all-conference), and 3 DBs. USF has some very talented players returning, but most are young and have limited playing experience. Georgia Tech gets them early in the season and should win this game handily. But let's not overlook them, Coach Strong will have them ready to play - and they play fast.
I think USF goes 7-5 in a rebuilding season with losses to GT,Illinois,Houston,Temple and UCF.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It was just a couple or three years ago that we tentatively had Auburn. Until the Auburn ball coach found out and killed that idea deader than a Trump cowlick. Sometimes we need to remember that it takes two to schedule a game, and while it is dismissed and ridiculed as a gimmick or a high school offense, nobody wants to play it. It makes them actually have to do that thing they are paid for, you know, actually coach.

Yeah, auburn just finished a H/A with Clemson, in addition to playing ugag / bama / aTm / lsu.

But they are afraid to play us. Especially the way we have manhandled um the last 10 years, or puke, unc, uva recently.

As bad as they were, I can't believe ut took the field against us being as scared as they must have been.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
UVa:
Defense: we lose our three most talented Defenders, the last high star guys who were here before Bronco Mendenhall started his crusade of recruiting two stars who will run through walls for him.

For all of his idiosyncrasies, Bronco knows X's and O's on defense. I expect us to field a low Talent, high-effort defense, that will probably be average to slightly below-average.

Offensively, we have dipped into the transfer quarterback well again and gotten a Juco kid out of Arizona. Kid supposedly has a really good set of wheels and a meh arm. I would expect us to try and look like a poor mans Louisville.

We will run spread option, we will run invert veer, will be in the shotgun 100% of the time, we will throw a bunch of nickel-and-dime stuff underneath and try and break plays.

All pretty boilerplate these days. The one thing offensively that might make us a little bit entertaining and fun to watch is that Bronco for the last three years has been building a pint-size army of wide receivers. He loves 5 foot 9, 175 pound Jitterbug wide receivers, and apparently is just going to try and quit teams to death on the perimeter with a lot of smoke routes and underneath stuff and then get guys in the open field.

I think Georgia Tech ought to win, I mean Georgia Tech will be the better team, but a different result wouldn't surprise me, just because Bronco apparently has some sort of Life Vendetta against triple option football dating back to his days at New Mexico. After getting eviscerated by Navy in the bowl game my bet is that he has the Georgia Tech game circled on the calendar.

Please forgive any typos, I dictated this into my phone on the drive into work and my voice recognition has an IQ of 12

Bronco has done a VERY good job of defensing the Tech Off.A BIG reason we lost to them last yr and were pushed at home in Atl 2 yrs a go.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On the D:

I think our overall D stats this year will be about the same. It's a brand new D, both in formation and in the way its played. We didn't recruit for it specifically and the players have had spring and will have fall to try to figure out what they are doing. That doesn't augur for spectacular results.

Other, I do expect us to have more turnovers and negative plays this year. Charging Ds seem to help with those stats. However, as mentioned above, we can expect more big plays too. Last year's D was very good at limiting those, but "You live by the blitz, you die by the blitz." Personally, I'll take more turnovers and negative plays and live with the long gainers. I think Coach is the same way.

By the end of the year, I expect to see us playing better, in stark contrast to last year. But that'll depend on our not losing so many close games this year.

Hope I'm wrong, of course. If we play D well enough to rank in the high 30s nationally, we should do very well indeed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On the D:

I think our overall D stats this year will be about the same. It's a brand new D, both in formation and in the way its played. We didn't recruit for it specifically and the players have had spring and will have fall to try to figure out what they are doing. That doesn't augur for spectacular results.

Other, I do expect us to have more turnovers and negative plays this year. Charging Ds seem to help with those stats. However, as mentioned above, we can expect more big plays too. Last year's D was very good at limiting those, but "You live by the blitz, you die by the blitz." Personally, I'll take more turnovers and negative plays and live with the long gainers. I think Coach is the same way.

By the end of the year, I expect to see us playing better, in stark contrast to last year. But that'll depend on our not losing so many close games this year.

Hope I'm wrong, of course. If we play D well enough to rank in the high 30s nationally, we should do very well indeed.

Like you said, I hope you're wrong.

If, as many of us suspect, our D has actually been hindered by our DC, in scheme and play calling, then we get better by getting to neutral with his departure.

I think CNW has proven with lesser talent that he does not hinder his team.

So, if we don't start seeing improvement on D this year, then I think we can say the DC isn't the problem.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
On the D:

This is close to my take. I think there will be marginal improvement, but the big jump will be in year 2

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
God, I really miss Dwyer. It was sooooo much fun to watch him.

Ah, well. Maybe Kirvonte will make me forget him a little this season.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Debating on going to the USF game or Coming back home to ATL for Miami

Please come to the Miami game. Their fans are mutt-like and we need all of the classy GT fans we can get. I bought tickets to the Miami game last year but didn’t go because Irma hit our vacation rental in Bonita Springs.

Over the past three years, I’ve gone to at least one away game. ND in 2015, Dublin and VT in 2016, and Clemson in 2017. I’m trying to decide where to go this year. I’d like to see the game at USF but I go to enough miserably hot games at BDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Please come to the Miami game. Their fans are mutt-like and we need all of the classy GT fans we can get. I bought tickets to the Miami game last year but didn’t go because Irma hit our vacation rental in Bonita Springs.

Over the past three years, I’ve gone to at least one away game. ND in 2015, Dublin and VT in 2016, and Clemson in 2017. I’m trying to decide where to go this year. I’d like to see the game at USF but I go to enough miserably hot games at BDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miami fans only go to their games when the Cocanes are winning;)