GT Primary Colors debate

THWG

Helluva Engineer
No it doesnt. Any sane GT fan knows we are the white and gold. just stop
The reason navy has the most items available is mainly because it’s cheaper to produce. It’s so crazy that some fans like you are ok with GT just completely changing our colors. Imagine if Tennessee stopped selling white and orange gear in favor of Navy because it was cheaper? They wouldn’t stand for it.
Tennessee sells a lot of gray and black gear.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee sells a lot of gray and black gear.
The big difference is that Tennessee fans know not to wear it in Neyland.

1722102605517.png

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
In 1977, a friend and I went to the GT-UT game in Knoxville. It was a rainy day and we were there is a sea of orange rain slickers. Looking up from our corner it was a monolithic view of the same shade of orange. They’ve been doing this for decades. Why can’t we do it for one game, or one season? We license too much odd-colored stuff. Just stop it! Gold is nice! UT fans have to work with *orange* for Pete sake!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
In 1977, a friend and I went to the GT-UT game in Knoxville. It was a rainy day and we were there is a sea of orange rain slickers. Looking up from our corner it was a monolithic view of the same shade of orange. They’ve been doing this for decades. Why can’t we do it for one game, or one season? We license too much odd-colored stuff. Just stop it! Gold is nice! UT fans have to work with *orange* for Pete sake!
First, UT has had the same problems as Tech. There wasn’t one shade of Orange, but 50. They have done a great job of consolidating but it’s a work in process.

Re Tech, for years the brand was built around Old Gold which is very difficult to source. From what I can tell, Tech still doesn’t enforce standards very well, so … its patchwork.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Shouting down rational fans doesn't work. Contrary to your opinion, many fans, most of them sane, like blue in the GT color wheel. I realize you've made it a mission to complain about every instance of colors other than Gold and White but you've lost that war. Shoot, that war was lost before most of us (probably all) on this site were born. It has been proven ad nauseum that GT has been wearing Navy Blue jerseys since before you were born. Dodd himself took GT to navy blue in the 40's and 50's. Heisman had GT wearing navy and/or black jerseys in his days. (How much more traditional can that be?) The gold in our brand came from fans wearing yellow jackets to games, not from the uniforms on the field.

Also, since Navy Blue is indeed a PRIMARY color according to Georgia Tech, telling fans not to wear or support it is an odd look.

Ever since the 1990 Nebraska win and subsequent UPI National Championship, I have hoped that GT would add Blue as a Primary color. The three articles below from the Tech site may be overload, but each has information on the addition of Blue. The first one is a narrative from 9-2-21 announcing the Blue as a primary color. The second one shows a timeline of the study by many committees and people at GT involved in the Brand Refresh study which included adding Blue as a primary color. The third one has some of the same information, but includes an Atlanta Constitution article dated April,1891. The article relates how three colors were used in the design of a Georgia Tech Badge, including Gold, White, and Blue. At the time of the third article, Blue was still shown as secondary color, made primary in 2021.

Last edited:

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
NEW adidas t-shirt, polyester, available from Fanatics sites.
View attachment 16440
Its a miracle!! Finally gold apparel

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Ever since the 1990 Nebraska win and subsequent UPI National Championship, I have hoped that GT would add Blue as a Primary color. The three articles below from the Tech site may be overload, but each has information on the addition of Blue. The first one is a narrative from 9-2-21 announcing the Blue as a primary color. The second one shows a timeline of the study by many committees and people at GT involved in the Brand Refresh study which included adding Blue as a primary color. The third one has some of the same information, but includes an Atlanta Constitution article dated April,1891. The article relates how three colors were used in the design of a Georgia Tech Badge, including Gold, White, and Blue. At the time of the third article, Blue was still shown as secondary color, made primary in 2021.

GT is White and Gold. Im sorry man. We have a great unique combo of colors already. No need to make us look like Notre Dame.

As you are aware its even our fight song, and as you can see below, its not just me saying it. Our best and most unique look is white and gold. Would be great to see our apparel and uniforms reflect this. Just as they did under Chan Gailey. if we bought into our colors like Tennessee does for their orange and white, we could actually have a "Brand".
Screenshot 2024-07-29 213619.pngScreenshot 2024-07-29 213545.pngScreenshot 2024-07-29 213416.pngScreenshot 2024-07-29 213333.png

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
GT is White and Gold. Im sorry man. We have a great unique combo of colors already. No need to make us look like Notre Dame.

As you are aware its even our fight song, and as you can see below, its not just me saying it. Our best and most unique look is white and gold. Would be great to see our apparel and uniforms reflect this. Just as they did under Chan Gailey. if we bought into our colors like Tennessee does for their orange and white, we could actually have a "Brand".
View attachment 16446View attachment 16447View attachment 16448View attachment 16449

You can keep peeing into the wind, but you're not gonna like what comes back at you. For all your griping, it's not gonna make peoples opinions change or get NAVY BLUE removed as a PRIMARY GT COLOR.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 16446View attachment 16447View attachment 16448View attachment 16449
I don't mind navy as a trim or an occasional jersey (like maybe once a year), and I think navy goes great with gold. But the white/gold primary color combination is unique among major college sports teams, or would be unique if we'd stick to it. For this reason, and for purposes of branding consistency, I wish the Jackets would adhere to the white and gold uniforms at least 90% of the time. But it's not such a big deal if we don't. A deep, rich navy color does look strikingly good with gold.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Schools that did our colors better than we do them and they aren’t even their colors.

Golden helmets has always been a ND thing. they also often wore gold pants. Their colors are basically the same as ours. Navy jersey's gold pants and a gold helmet is the classic ND color. The Green jesersey is there version of a black watch jersey.

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
Golden helmets has always been a ND thing. they also often wore gold pants. Their colors are basically the same as ours. Navy jersey's gold pants and a gold helmet is the classic ND color. The Green jesersey is there version of a black watch jersey.
Notredame uses a darker blue, like we used to. Makes the gold pop way better

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame has started leaning a little more into the kelly green look as they are the only team in FBS with that color (aside from Marshall). They wore it for their most high profile game last season.

1722478017654.png