GT Primary Colors debate

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. It’s not “period”. The picture shown is “dark navy” as stated in the military regulations (which is a distinct color itself) but I can get the Pantone and verify. “Navy” as used in common language is used for coveralls. The term originated with the British, not the U.S. Navy … Since 2010, USN regulations require BLACK trousers and shoes.

The USN has very detailed specs which it changes periodically. And those serving complain as much as Tech fans.

In my experience, Tech does very little to control its colors at the manufacturer level. Other programs require only specific colors to be used and the license will be pulled if they violate it. Tech does not have a reputation doing this, but rather, accepting whatever the supply chain has that’s close enough.
Here is the URL for the Navy uniform. Please show me where the term "dark" navy is used.

Perhaps you are referring to Pantone colors and I am referring to what the US Navy calls Navy Blue. If so, we are talking past each other. My point is: If we refer to our colors as Navy Blue then it should be the color that the US Navy uses. If we simply want a dark shade of blue, then anything the GTAA considers "dark" might suffice.

That's it for me. This has become inane.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here is the URL for the Navy uniform. Please show me where the term "dark" navy is used.

Perhaps you are referring to Pantone colors and I am referring to what the US Navy calls Navy Blue. If so, we are talking past each other. My point is: If we refer to our colors as Navy Blue then it should be the color that the US Navy uses. If we simply want a dark shade of blue, then anything the GTAA considers "dark" might suffice.

That's it for me. This has become inane.
No.

Which Navy Blue are referring to? Tech's brand standards for Navy Blue is to use PMS 540. That is the color for the school. The US Navy does not.

This is exactly the problem we have with our branding. We have detailed specs on what our school colors are and .... people don't want to follow them. Go to the Bookstore. There are at least 50 different version of Navy there. And that's why nothing matches. And people whine "Why don't we look as organized as <XYZ>?" That is why.

PS. In my previous life, my firm made the materials for the USN, so I'm pretty well versed in their colors ... at least up to 2010. Admittedly, they could have changed since but there are MULTIPLE navy blues in use in the USN depending on Ceremonial Dress, Service Dress, Service Working or Utility.

There is NO ONE NAVY BLUE unless you define it. Tech did. You choose not to use it. Fine.

Done.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
No.

Which Navy Blue are referring to? Tech's brand standards for Navy Blue is to use PMS 540. That is the color for the school. The US Navy does not.

This is exactly the problem we have with our branding. We have detailed specs on what our school colors are and .... people don't want to follow them. Go to the Bookstore. There are at least 50 different version of Navy there. And that's why nothing matches. And people whine "Why don't we look as organized as <XYZ>?" That is why.

PS. In my previous life, my firm made the materials for the USN, so I'm pretty well versed in their colors ... at least up to 2010. Admittedly, they could have changed since but there are MULTIPLE navy blues in use in the USN depending on Ceremonial Dress, Service Dress, Service Working or Utility.

There is NO ONE NAVY BLUE unless you define it. Tech did. You choose not to use it. Fine.

Done.
LOL.

I defined Navy blue quite extensively - complete with pictures and descriptions from the website of the US Navy, which is the definition that I recommend using for the term "Navy" blue. If not that, then call it dark blue, deep blue, midnight blue, GA Tech blue, whatever, and assign a Pantone number to it. I don't care.

As I said, anything further simply becomes inane.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
LOL.

I defined Navy blue quite extensively - complete with pictures and descriptions from the website of the US Navy, which is the definition that I recommend using for the term "Navy" blue. If not that, then call it dark blue, deep blue, midnight blue, GA Tech blue, whatever, and assign a Pantone number to it. I don't care.

As I said, anything further simply becomes inane.
No, you didn't. All fabrics are detailed in a spec with a specific number, usually the PMS number. There are many versions of "Navy Blue" and even the Navy uses different versions.

An anecdotal description is just that.

I don't have any more to add to this and won't respond further. You don't know what you are talking about.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just adding a point of information for those of you who are not in the field and may not know - Pantone is known in the business and graphic design world as the arbiter of color. Many people who don't deal with design issues regularly may not understand that color looks different based on lighting, device, sheen, complementary colors in a design, and other factors. What appears one way to one person digitally, for instance, may look significantly different on someone else's monitor, or if printed out, or viewed on a phone, or (God forbid) printed on a jersey or a helmet.

Pantone swatches are the antidote to this occurrence (or at least a strong tool in fighting it). They're used as a standard to designate a true color, irrespective of the device or what have you. If you are trying to put a brand together, you design to a Pantone color. If you are licensing your brand to others, you give them a Pantone color - because saying "Dark Blue" or "Navy Blue" doesn't reflect the wide variance of colors that are represented by those monikers.

On that note, the US Navy uses Pantone colors in their licensing guide. And you can see from their digital Design Guide that their colors include Navy Black, Navy Blue, and 4 other colors.

So if you're intent on arguing what color is what, you might start with the Navy design guide - and follow the thread to the appropriate Pantone colors. It will help you make a stronger argument (or decide not to argue over it at all, since the people who are in the business of color have generally already figured it out).

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
The first is what I (and I guess the Navy) call Navy blue, the second is what we use. I personally think the darker makes our old gold look much better, the lighter blue makes it look green and weird. Just my 2 cents
IMG_0942.jpeg
IMG_0943.jpeg

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
How many shades of white are made?

Also, is black with 0.00000000000000001% any other color not black ( technically yes), who can really tell?

Hence, Pantone/CMYK/RGB/hex designations.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
What shade of white is it, egg shell, summer rice, fluffy cloud, casper, goth white or blizzard??? We must decide if adidas can provide that or else we need to go back to Russell Athletic!

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
NEW adidas 1/2 zip available on Fanatics sites.
View attachment 16407
I don’t mind this. They utilized gold. It’s the **** where they just have navy and white that pisses me off.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
At this point it is hard to get too mad at Adidas for all the navy gear. I realized the other day that our own athletic department sent over navy as our primary color on their CFB25 assets form when I was customizing our jersey for my first game. J Batt has crushed it in his time here so far but that definitely hurt to see.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
At this point it is hard to get too mad at Adidas for all the navy gear. I realized the other day that our own athletic department sent over navy as our primary color on their CFB25 assets form when I was customizing our jersey for my first game. J Batt has crushed it in his time here so far but that definitely hurt to see.
Another thing that irks me is that WWG is set as our primary home in the game. I’m not mad bc obviously we wore that most of last season so I can see why EA would think that but that is NOT our primary home. I assume there’s many others along with me who move the helmet slider over to the gold.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yup. Navy is our main color and gold is the accent. Per GTAA

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
NEW adidas 1/2 zip available on Fanatics sites.
View attachment 16407
The zipper and the GT seem to have the correct shade of gold, or at least close enough to it... 😉

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I genuinely don’t think GT provided that. They just didn’t correct it because they either don’t care to learn about GT or they are just lazy. It sucks for sure