GT picked last in Coastal

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why will we win some games this year? We have some good football players and outside of UGA and Clemson every team on our schedule is simply mediocre like us.

Come on now, we aren’t playing the Ohio States or Alabama’s week after week. Duke just lost their all world QB. UVA is a one man band. VT is an established dumpster fire who has turned on their coach. Temple has a new coach and they are Temple. USF, yawn. I don’t care about having a new coach or scheme. We have players and players win or lose games. Like most games that feature two mid level teams it’s gonna come down to a playmaker making a play in the 4th quarter or a turnover. We see it year after year and nothing has changed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
All I want is to win. I like CPJ doesn't mean I didn't get pissed off at times with him. I think CGC will or can be a good coach and when we lose I'm sure I'll get pissed at him but I would not fire any coach on only 2 seasons does not mean I want to see us lose. If his assistant coaches are as good as I think I just don't see less than 6 wins but I still want more than 6 . I have to believe that CBK thought we could win he didn't come here to be an assistant head coach he wants to be a head coach and what better way then to build a good OL and win. What makes me want CGC as GT's head coach I like him but realistically he is a little like when Clemson named Dabo their head coach work out for them , you have a hard worker but can he find the same type of assistant coaches as Dabo found without have the same money to spend. Right now I'm happy with him I can't think of anyone working harder then he has. two losing seasons I would get him a short leash on year 3.

This.

My take, fwiw, based on the last 7 months, is that CGC is using Dabo's model without Dabo's money nor academic environment but with the 404 and GT degree.

I still think time will tell.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think my biggest frustration is that few people who insist we will win 6 games minimum can honestly lay out a reasonable path forward to 6.

There are reasonable paths to 6. After the clemson game our next 4 games are winnable without playing great football. We could win those 4 while we gel and then find two more victories. We get Pitt at home after a bye week for us would be the best chance at #5 and winning one upset game of the rest would get us to 6. I imagine your real frustration is the fact that there are people who think that is the minimum. Like they can't imagine us winning less than 6, even though it has happened twice in the last 4 years. At this point there are people whose expectations aren't based in rational. They are based in emotions. Which would be fine if they didn't act surprised that people aren't doing the same.

Animal02

Banned
There are reasonable paths to 6. After the clemson game our next 4 games are winnable without playing great football. We could win those 4 while we gel and then find two more victories. We get Pitt at home after a bye week for us would be the best chance at #5 and winning one upset game of the rest would get us to 6. I imagine your real frustration is the fact that there are people who think that is the minimum. Like they can't imagine us winning less than 6, even though it has happened twice in the last 4 years. At this point there are people whose expectations aren't based in rational. They are based in emotions. Which would be fine if they didn't act surprised that people aren't doing the same.
I am not surprised by people that think we won't win 6 games.....they are the same type people that whined we were going to lose to Pitt in 2014 in chat when we were up 28 in the first quarter.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not surprised by people that think we won't win 6 games.....they are the same type people that whined we were going to lose to Pitt in 2014 in chat when we were up 28 in the first quarter.
Ehh tech has negative nancies in general like every fan base but odd year schedules aren’t good to us. In the last 30 home matchups vs Miami, UVA, and Clemson we are 21-9 but on the road we are 7-20. (Only played Miami 7 times there)
VT is essentially split dead even home and away
UNC we have winning records for both 6-4 vs 9-1
Duke is 7-3 vs 8-2.

Since we flipped the schedule to play uga and Clemson on alternating years in 2013 we haven’t won more than 5 games against FBS competition. I’d take our chances at home but we just historically don’t do well against them at their home bases for whatever reason
Hope the voodoo magic might be gone and as we know anything can happen any given Saturday

Animal02

Banned
Ehh tech has negative nancies in general like every fan base but odd year schedules aren’t good to us. In the last 30 home matchups vs Miami, UVA, and Clemson we are 21-9 but on the road we are 7-20. (Only played Miami 7 times there)
VT is essentially split dead even home and away
UNC we have winning records for both 6-4 vs 9-1
Duke is 7-3 vs 8-2.

Since we flipped the schedule to play uga and Clemson on alternating years in 2013 we haven’t won more than 5 games against FBS competition. I’d take our chances at home but we just historically don’t do well against them at their home bases for whatever reason
Hope the voodoo magic might be gone and as we know anything can happen any given Saturday
I don't think winning 6 will be a breeze.....but we have athletes and should be competitive. I don't think this season will be a dumpster fire like some expect. I think CGC is smart enough to know he needs to win games over simply installing his system for the future.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
All I want to see this year is a coach who calls games by the numbers and adjusts his gameplan pre-game and in-game to our opponent and the scenario. Also would like to see continuation of the brand shift we've seen the past 6 months. Pretty much anticipating we will go 5-7 or 6-6 based on playing 2 incredible teams, 1 garbage team, and 9 mediocre teams.

Much love for CPJ and enjoyed his tenure but I can't root for another coach who is going to attempt fake punts on 4th and long in the 2nd quarter from our own 20 yard line anymore. There's just no statistical expected value percentage to explain decisions like that. It's irresponsible and makes my blood boil too much. My coaching philosophy can pretty much be boiled down to take the points early (unless you're super outmatched) and play the percentages. Going for 2 doesn't even cross my mind til the 4th quarter.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is a solid take. I believe we will play very well against tough opponents for the first half, and then our depth issues will kick in. We lost a lot of production, and a lot of our guys were recruited specifically for the old scheme. I have no doubts we will play well, but it takes depth to win on the P5 level, and I really don't think we have the necessary depth to be bowl eligible this year.

Again, I freely admit that if several things fall our way, this team could easily get to 6-7 wins, but IMO, factors outside of our control would have to happen for that scenario to come into play.

Either way, I refuse to blame CGC for the record this year.
Well, Alabama;s depth issues did not surface until Clemson 2, 3 and 4-deeps swarmed units that for whatever reason -- maybe it is just the way Saban coaches -- got no rest all year. Clemson meanwhile routinely got 60+ players in games, starting in the first quarter. So even with a depth issue, we can win, and I may be overconfident with six wins but I don't think so. As for blame, well, of course the coach is responsible, and whatever record we have is his record. I'm not going to give any coach a pass. I'd rather give him credit for six wins than two, however.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The top three lurkers have zero bds appearances and 20,000 posts.
One , ae 87, is a professional debater and eggs posters into endless point counter point discussions. He always will type a gratious post and cede a fact but will add a cavat so as to cede not the point. The post above is prime - "cgc is dabo without the money - we will see."
It would be easy and gracious to say i think cgc is doing the right things but success may be limited by a lack of resorces to hire a quality staff.

Never cede that the opponent is doing well.

The cost of cgc speaking at booster clubs, him hustling at super bowl is high? Is it expensive to get all the assistant coaches hustling on recruiting. Does it cost a lot to have players come in for 0600 nutrition, work outs and drills in morning? Hey its pretty cool the new coaches are there 30 minutes before . Does it cost a lot to let coaches and players use twitter to communicate our brand?

Imo,
Effort and being nice to everyone is free .
Yes its obvious we will need money to reward his staff if they are successful and to buy upgraded staff if they are not.

Seeing cgc do these positive ATTACK BASED FREE things makes me donate more.
I would love for the lurkers to say "so far i like what cgc is doing about "x" and i am will to give him "y" years before i pass judgment.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I would love for the lurkers to say "so far i like what cgc is doing about "x" and i am will to give him "y" years before i pass judgment.
I like his energy and if we have 2 losing seasons ( without injuries) I would need to see 8+ wins in season 3 . As far as passing judgment he needs to be good at clock management. I like his staff but other than CBK I would keep a short leash on them some have little coaching experience just being a great player does not make one a good coach it takes time. If he is going to run the program like Dabo which looks to be the case we may have a problem hiring other assistant coaches with out the money. If he would buy my beer I would give him 2 more years. But I do like that he wants to play more players . I feel he can do the job but I still want to see how he and the other coaches manage a game.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Picking us last is the easy choice. It was either us or UNC and since we are installing a new offense that is probably the difference. None of this matters now. It's what happens on the field that counts. UNC will have an unproven QB like us with a new OC. They may have more size in the DL than us but we are probably better in the secondary. I am not sold on Patenaude yet. I was totally unimpressed with Temple against Duke in the bowl game. Hard to judge effort in that game with Collins leaving there. We should be able to tell more after USF and Temple. Those are winnable and will see if our weaknesses shown at Clemson are being fixed. I do expect better ST play.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I like his energy and if we have 2 losing seasons ( without injuries) I would need to see 8+ wins in season 3 . As far as passing judgment he needs to be good at clock management. I like his staff but other than CBK I would keep a short leash on them some have little coaching experience just being a great player does not make one a good coach it takes time. If he is going to run the program like Dabo which looks to be the case we may have a problem hiring other assistant coaches with out the money. If he would buy my beer I would give him 2 more years. But I do like that he wants to play more players . I feel he can do the job but I still want to see how he and the other coaches manage a game.
There does seem to be some resemblance to Swinney's approach at Clemson, but it is very hard work to get done what looks easy now at Clemson, that and the talent to hire and retain the right coaches and recruiters. Cleaning up after yourself is just a minor part of the theory, and not every coach can be a Swinney. (And once upon a time we laughed at the guy.)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There does seem to be some resemblance to Swinney's approach at Clemson, but it is very hard work to get done what looks easy now at Clemson, that and the talent to hire and retain the right coaches and recruiters. Cleaning up after yourself is just a minor part of the theory, and not every coach can be a Swinney. (And once upon a time we laughed at the guy.)

The thing about Swinney is that he inherited a Clemson program that routinely recruited in the top 20. It's not like he took over a complete rebuild. He just had to get the best collection of assistants money could buy, and Clemson financed that vision.