GT picked last in Coastal

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Picking us last is the easy choice. It was either us or UNC and since we are installing a new offense that is probably the difference. None of this matters now. It's what happens on the field that counts. UNC will have an unproven QB like us with a new OC. They may have more size in the DL than us but we are probably better in the secondary. I am not sold on Patenaude yet. I was totally unimpressed with Temple against Duke in the bowl game. Hard to judge effort in that game with Collins leaving there. We should be able to tell more after USF and Temple. Those are winnable and will see if our weaknesses shown at Clemson are being fixed. I do expect better ST play.
Did you like coach P in the bowl in the first half? I get not being sure about what we have but judging any coach from a minor bowl game during a coaching change is ridiculous.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am going out on a limb to say cgc will coach up a good defense. It will look more like tenuta or Mississippi state 14 - some bad plays and some good plays but always attacking. By end of year we will no longer be uga's alcorn state. It will be our new "brand" .

I am sure the players are ready to show the "chip shoulder" and will give 100% hustle to cover for each other.

Please let our Duke game be a great game by defense and the offense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Did you like coach P in the bowl in the first half? I get not being sure about what we have but judging any coach from a minor bowl game during a coaching change is ridiculous.
Duke did some adjustments in the second half that turned the bowl game into a rout in the second half. I'm not sure the temple kids had the same effort in that game with a lame duck staff. We certainly did not look the same against Minnesota either.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The thing about Swinney is that he inherited a Clemson program that routinely recruited in the top 20. It's not like he took over a complete rebuild. He just had to get the best collection of assistants money could buy, and Clemson financed that vision.
I don't claim to know but last week I read a piece by the Clemson AD regarding yet another project, and according to him, the football program is self-sustaining and gets no university money. I believe he said football grosses $50 million a year. Certainly IPTAY is a big player. (And the reason Alabama will never be able to outbid Clemson if it ever got to that.)

But as to the rest of it -- "best collection of assistant money could buy", well, no. We forget that in either his first or second full contract year, Swinney turned down a hefty pay increase with the provision it all go to assistants salaries, so he hardly was flush in the early years. (I think I recall that Johnson did something similar, but I'm not sure.) The mega-deals with OC and DC are certainly retention aimed. It may not be intended but it is dismissive to write off his accomplishments as all to do with money. The man can coach and has built something special in the Upstate. I hope Collins can emulate this, but it is a tough nut to crack and there are dozens of moving parts.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't claim to know but last week I read a piece by the Clemson AD regarding yet another project, and according to him, the football program is self-sustaining and gets no university money. I believe he said football grosses $50 million a year. Certainly IPTAY is a big player. (And the reason Alabama will never be able to outbid Clemson if it ever got to that.)

But as to the rest of it -- "best collection of assistant money could buy", well, no. We forget that in either his first or second full contract year, Swinney turned down a hefty pay increase with the provision it all go to assistants salaries, so he hardly was flush in the early years. (I think I recall that Johnson did something similar, but I'm not sure.) The mega-deals with OC and DC are certainly retention aimed. It may not be intended but it is dismissive to write off his accomplishments as all to do with money. The man can coach and has built something special in the Upstate. I hope Collins can emulate this, but it is a tough nut to crack and there are dozens of moving parts.

I am not asserting that Clemson's success is only due to money. Swinney did turn down a raise in the early years with the provision it go to assistants. Goes to prove the point. Early on Dabo targeted the right OCs and DCs, and has since made sure all the assistants are the best he can get. It's to the point now where he has built a culture such that some assistants are choosing to stay rather than be poached away for a bit more money.

My assertion was that when your roster is stocked with yearly top 20 recruiting talent, it's not a complete rebuild. Dabo inherited a ferrari that needed tinkering, not a family sedan needing a new engine. Clemson financed the tinkering, slowly at first but then going "all in" a few years ago. Now they are recruiting top 5-10 yearly and building a program that could easily turn into a dynasty. While money is not the only ingredient, it is a necessary one.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am not asserting that Clemson's success is only due to money. Swinney did turn down a raise in the early years with the provision it go to assistants. Goes to prove the point. Early on Dabo targeted the right OCs and DCs, and has since made sure all the assistants are the best he can get. It's to the point now where he has built a culture such that some assistants are choosing to stay rather than be poached away for a bit more money.

My assertion was that when your roster is stocked with yearly top 20 recruiting talent, it's not a complete rebuild. Dabo inherited a ferrari that needed tinkering, not a family sedan needing a new engine. Clemson financed the tinkering, slowly at first but then going "all in" a few years ago. Now they are recruiting top 5-10 yearly and building a program that could easily turn into a dynasty. While money is not the only ingredient, it is a necessary one.
I'm fine with our defensive coordinator he is young but if he turns out to be good they better start paying him. The offensive coordinator not so sure I'll wait and see. I just not crazy about a hurry up offense with no depth on the front 7 on defense

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The top three lurkers have zero bds appearances and 20,000 posts.
One , ae 87, is a professional debater and eggs posters into endless point counter point discussions. He always will type a gratious post and cede a fact but will add a cavat so as to cede not the point. The post above is prime - "cgc is dabo without the money - we will see."
It would be easy and gracious to say i think cgc is doing the right things but success may be limited by a lack of resorces to hire a quality staff.

Never cede that the opponent is doing well.

The cost of cgc speaking at booster clubs, him hustling at super bowl is high? Is it expensive to get all the assistant coaches hustling on recruiting. Does it cost a lot to have players come in for 0600 nutrition, work outs and drills in morning? Hey its pretty cool the new coaches are there 30 minutes before . Does it cost a lot to let coaches and players use twitter to communicate our brand?

Imo,
Effort and being nice to everyone is free .
Yes its obvious we will need money to reward his staff if they are successful and to buy upgraded staff if they are not.

Seeing cgc do these positive ATTACK BASED FREE things makes me donate more.
I would love for the lurkers to say "so far i like what cgc is doing about "x" and i am will to give him "y" years before i pass judgment.

In post 111 of the "Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens" thread (which is locked so that I can't formally quote it), I said, among other things, the following:

Fwiw, I am really enjoying the Collins Culture. I love the tweets with strength and conditioning clips. I love Waffle House Wednesday. I love the branding and the excitement on the recruiting trail. While I am not as optimistic as some, I am hopeful.​

I think I've said similar things in other threads where I abbreviated CGC for which I can't search.

I'm not sure why you've decided to attack other fans, but it's not a good look.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I am with you to a point, but "Ferrari" seems a huge stretch. Clemson had not won anything since, what, 1981? And really had no idea how to win any more. (All the Bowdens seemed to fizzle out together.) Maybe the analogy is family sedan to sports car. I think the progression is more easily understood when you realize it was not that long ago we competed with, and often won, Clemson. Now it is not a big stretch to say he can name the score. But then he could have against Alabama, too.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
.... Going for 2 doesn't even cross my mind til the 4th quarter.
You do know you can lose a game in the first quarter, right? And it counts just as much? I say this because right now my burden of a MLB team apparently feels it can save its ammunition until September when games apparently count more. A point is a point.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I'm fine with our defensive coordinator he is young but if he turns out to be good they better start paying him. The offensive coordinator not so sure I'll wait and see. I just not crazy about a hurry up offense with no depth on the front 7 on defense
Like every other OC in the country he’s going to run the tempo his HC wants.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
You do know you can lose a game in the first quarter, right? And it counts just as much? I say this because right now my burden of a MLB team apparently feels it can save its ammunition until September when games apparently count more. A point is a point.
No, I completely disagree. I also don't think a football game is comparable to a 162 game MLB season. We're talking about a single game, not multiple games months apart. I'd rather let the chips fall as they may and then figure out if we need to start chasing points or taking surefire points at the end of the game. You don't register the W or L until 0:00 in the 4th quarter.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In post 111 of the "Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens" thread (which is locked so that I can't formally quote it), I said, among other things, the following:

Fwiw, I am really enjoying the Collins Culture. I love the tweets with strength and conditioning clips. I love Waffle House Wednesday. I love the branding and the excitement on the recruiting trail. While I am not as optimistic as some, I am hopeful.​

I think I've said similar things in other threads where I abbreviated CGC for which I can't search.

I'm not sure why you've decided to attack other fans, but it's not a good look.
Was that enough to get you to buy season tickets?

I have to get cheese into our tailgate tail gate and buy him a drink to get him to leave his jacksonville beach house and come to one game.

Unc has sold out their season tickets.

If you would buy a cheap (200$) season ticket it would really add gravitas to your stated support.

I will call to see if you could donate to the military or other charity.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No, I completely disagree. I also don't think a football game is comparable to a 162 game MLB season. We're talking about a single game, not multiple games months apart. I'd rather let the chips fall as they may and then figure out if we need to start chasing points or taking surefire points at the end of the game. You don't register the W or L until 0:00 in the 4th quarter.
And you can count the games won or lost at 0:00 on the fingers of one hand and have three left over for saluting. You go for two when the circumstances seem right or when you just gotta do it. My comparison was not to the length of a season, but to the troubling mindset that a game won or lost early in the season doesn't mean as much as one won or lost late in the season. (But I wil admit that losing to Duke at any time is devastating. Duke. The very thought of it.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Was that enough to get you to buy season tickets?

I have to get cheese into our tailgate tail gate and buy him a drink to get him to leave his jacksonville beach house and come to one game.

Unc has sold out their season tickets.

If you would buy a cheap (200$) season ticket it would really add gravitas to your stated support.

I will call to see if you could donate to the military or other charity.

OK, if you want me to put you on ignore this badly.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
When did buying season tickets become the minimum requirement for being a "true" GT supporter? There are a lot of reasons people don't buy season tickets, and frankly, none of them are my business. Now, if you make the argument that people who do not give financially shouldn't gripe about how the $ is spent, then that's another issue. I buy season tickets and give to the A-T fund separately. (My seats don't require a donation) I do this as a sidewalk fan because I love GT and everything it stands for. But that doesn't make me more of a fan than someone who doesn't give or attend games.