GT picked last in Coastal

slugboy

Staff member
What does the +175 mean?

This is like a blind man explaining impressionist painting, but on a money line the “+” is an underdog bet where $100 on a +175 wins you $175 plus your $100 back for a total of $275 (you win $175). A “-“ is a favorite bet where -150 means a $150 bet wins you $100 plus your $150 back

https://m.vegas.com/gaming/gaming-tips/sports-betting/

Man, there’s a lot of gambling advice for Ohio State fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I just looked at VegasInsider, and they have our over/under at 5.5 wins http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/story.cfm/story/1923995/.

Last place might be 4-5 wins. Betting the “under” is nearly a bet for last place.

You might have to go to Atlantic City or Vegas to make a direct prop bet for last place; that’s not something I do, so it’s guesswork on my part. It’s a niche bet, so it’s iffy if you can get someone to take it, and the payoff of “not last place” is probably going to be something like $1 for $100 wagered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My bookie opened at 4.5. I jumped on for $500
His number actually dropped to 4.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My bookie opened at 4.5. I jumped on for $500
His number actually dropped to 4.
My wife thought the line would be more favorable as the season got closer and wanted me to wait. 4 as a push is a no brainer. We hired the wrong coach if he’s got less than 4 wins in him unless we’ve got a crap ton of injuries early on. Way too much talent on this roster to win 3 games or less.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My wife thought the line would be more favorable as the season got closer and wanted me to wait. 4 as a push is a no brainer. We hired the wrong coach if he’s got less than 4 wins in him unless we’ve got a crap ton of injuries early on. Way too much talent on this roster to win 3 games or less.
I see potential energy but little velocity yet.
Parker and branch are no longer in the potential.

The potential cgc hate is high.

Notice the lurkers have no numbers that will get them on the cgc train.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Notice the lurkers have no numbers that will get them on the cgc train.

I don't think that's necessarily true. It's just a matter of how you look at the transition that has a lot of us in disagreement.

8+ wins I think EVERYONE would be pro CGC.
6-7 wins I think is the consensus that most people view as acceptable.
4-5 wins would be excusable.
2-3 wins even some of his most ardent current supporters would pause.
1 win and the seat gets really hot really fast (with the fanbase, not with TStan)
0 wins and the pitchforks, tar, and feathers come out.

I am on record expecting 3-5 wins. I'll still be here as a fan next year no matter what the results are this year. I am giving CGC 2-3 years of minimal expectations while he rebuilds his roster.

The main reason is that while we have plenty of talent on the roster, it's not necessarrily the right talent to run the offense we are transitioning to. That should change in a couple of years.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’ve stated that I think we can go 6-6/7-5 and I still think that will happen but, I also can see a Nebraska/Scott Frost type scenario in which we may only win 4 games but we give teams like Clemson, Georgia, Miami etc hell and it gives us the type of off season buzz next year like Neb is getting this year.
Recruiting is in trending up big time like Nebraska and I think Huskers take a big step this year. Only thing that could hold us back next season is the schedule.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ve stated that I think we can go 6-6/7-5 and I still think that will happen but, I also can see a Nebraska/Scott Frost type scenario in which we may only win 4 games but we give teams like Clemson, Georgia, Miami etc hell and it gives us the type of off season buzz next year like Neb is getting this year.
Recruiting is in trending up big time like Nebraska and I think Huskers take a big step this year. Only thing that could hold us back next season is the schedule.

This is a solid take. I believe we will play very well against tough opponents for the first half, and then our depth issues will kick in. We lost a lot of production, and a lot of our guys were recruited specifically for the old scheme. I have no doubts we will play well, but it takes depth to win on the P5 level, and I really don't think we have the necessary depth to be bowl eligible this year.

Again, I freely admit that if several things fall our way, this team could easily get to 6-7 wins, but IMO, factors outside of our control would have to happen for that scenario to come into play.

Either way, I refuse to blame CGC for the record this year.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It’s not unreasonable to think we’re going to finish last in the division. I fully expect this year to be bad and for next year to be worse (largely because of the schedule). The only team I might expect to have competition with for last place is Carolina.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we were picked last due to process of elimination. They think UVA is going to win the division, so they can’t be picked for last. Pitt won the division last year, so it would be too bold to put them in last. They dare not disparage Mack Brown by predicting him to finish last. If they put Miami last, they can’t overhype them like they always do. They don’t want to upset their narrative that Cutcliffe is a QB whisperer, so Duke is out of the question. So that leaves either us or VPISU. Since we have a new coaching staff, it’s easier to make a case that we’ll finish last in the division, so they picked us. The Coastal is about as wide open as I’ve ever seen it. There is literally not a single team in the division that could surprise me by winning it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that's necessarily true. It's just a matter of how you look at the transition that has a lot of us in disagreement.

8+ wins I think EVERYONE would be pro CGC.
6-7 wins I think is the consensus that most people view as acceptable.
4-5 wins would be excusable.
2-3 wins even some of his most ardent current supporters would pause.
1 win and the seat gets really hot really fast (with the fanbase, not with TStan)
0 wins and the pitchforks, tar, and feathers come out.

I am on record expecting 3-5 wins. I'll still be here as a fan next year no matter what the results are this year. I am giving CGC 2-3 years of minimal expectations while he rebuilds his roster.

The main reason is that while we have plenty of talent on the roster, it's not necessarrily the right talent to run the offense we are transitioning to. That should change in a couple of years.
The lurkers (cheese, animal, ae, etc ) have yet to say a number of wins that will get them on board - and keep them on board.

As to talent on board- who has demostrated good or exceptional talent?
Ol?
Qb?
Dl?
Lb?

I am with u on giving him a 3-4 years and i am with the lurkers and its crazy to see any top 10 stuff in our near future . In 3 years we need to be clearly contending w top of coastal.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we were picked last due to process of elimination. They think UVA is going to win the division, so they can’t be picked for last. Pitt won the division last year, so it would be too bold to put them in last. They dare not disparage Mack Brown by predicting him to finish last. If they put Miami last, they can’t overhype them like they always do. They don’t want to upset their narrative that Cutcliffe is a QB whisperer, so Duke is out of the question. So that leaves either us or VPISU. Since we have a new coaching staff, it’s easier to make a case that we’ll finish last in the division, so they picked us. The Coastal is about as wide open as I’ve ever seen it. There is literally not a single team in the division that could surprise me by winning it.
The Coastal is ALWAYS wide open! There are 7 teams in the Coastal and the last six teams to represent the Coastal division in the championship are all different. To top it off the only team that has not won it in the last 6 years is UVA who is projected to win it this year! I am too lazy to do the research but I would imagine that there is not another division in college football where there has been even close to that level of disparity.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The Coastal is ALWAYS wide open! There are 7 teams in the Coastal and the last six teams to represent the Coastal division in the championship are all different. To top it off the only team that has not won it in the last 6 years is UVA who is projected to win it this year! I am too lazy to do the research but I would imagine that there is not another division in college football where there has been even close to that level of disparity.
I would look it up for you but it's after noon and time to start drinking beer.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
The lurkers (cheese, animal, ae, etc ) have yet to say a number of wins that will get them on board - and keep them on board.

As to talent on board- who has demostrated good or exceptional talent?
Ol?
Qb?
Dl?
Lb?

I am with u on giving him a 3-4 years and i am with the lurkers and its crazy to see any top 10 stuff in our near future . In 3 years we need to be clearly contending w top of coastal.

Ice - I'm not sure I understand your use of the term lurker.

In Internet culture, a lurker is typically a member of an online community or PLN who observes, but does not participate. The exact definition depends on context. Lurkers make up a large proportion of all users in online communities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

I'm a lurker - I read this board virtually every day but seldom post. Cheese, Animal, and AE are all very active posters here.

I was a big fan of CPJ and developed a love of option football. I liked being unique and knowing that opponents went out of their way to add extra prep in spring, preseason, and bye weeks because they felt it was required to be properly prepared to play us. Look at our performance against the rotating Atlantic opponents, especially Syracuse and Louisville, to see what would happen if they didn't do that extra prep.

The vitriol against the previous regime has left a sour taste in my mouth. Yes, I have been disappointed in the on field performance the last couple years, and I support CPJ's decision that it was time to step aside, although I was hoping for one more year. But I don't think TStan could have found a better coach to take over the program and I have high hopes for what Collins can accomplish. However, the constant bashing of CPJ and the option leaves me less excited about the new regime than I should be and would like to be.

Let me go on record to predict an 8-4 record this year, and 1st or 2nd in the Coastal. Within a few years, I expect to be consistent top 20 with periodic visits into the top 10.