GT picked last in Coastal

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The lurkers (cheese, animal, ae, etc ) have yet to say a number of wins that will get them on board - and keep them on board.

As to talent on board- who has demostrated good or exceptional talent?
Ol?
Qb?
Dl?
Lb?

I am with u on giving him a 3-4 years and i am with the lurkers and its crazy to see any top 10 stuff in our near future . In 3 years we need to be clearly contending w top of coastal.
The last part of your comment is the key issue. Perhaps I’m wrong (and I hope I am) that the next couple of seasons are going to be bad. But if I’m right, the payoff for going through the pain needs to be more than 8-4.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have NO IDEA what our record will be, but I want to see some promise for the future and growth as the season goes along. Oh, and no embarrassments (Citadel, for example).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The last part of your comment is the key issue. Perhaps I’m wrong (and I hope I am) that the next couple of seasons are going to be bad. But if I’m right, the payoff for going through the pain needs to be more than 8-4.

This. The argument against CPJ, and CCG before him, was that we were mired in mediocrity. With CPJ we at least had a couple of 11 win seasons and OB appearances. If we are going to undergo a season or two, maybe more, of growing pains, which I am almost certain we will, then we need to be better than 7-8 wins by years 5-7 of his contract. Otherwise, it will be just more of the same.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It’s not unreasonable to think we’re going to finish last in the division. I fully expect this year to be bad and for next year to be worse (largely because of the schedule). The only team I might expect to have competition with for last place is Carolina.
If you have 2 losing seasons we would be lucky to have 30k at the games. These coaches are not paid to lose. I just don't see 2 losing seasons ahead without a rash of injuries. Recruiting and donations would suffer. I just believe in the coaches and Players too much.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ice - I'm not sure I understand your use of the term lurker.

In Internet culture, a lurker is typically a member of an online community or PLN who observes, but does not participate. The exact definition depends on context. Lurkers make up a large proportion of all users in online communities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

I'm a lurker - I read this board virtually every day but seldom post. Cheese, Animal, and AE are all very active posters here.

I was a big fan of CPJ and developed a love of option football. I liked being unique and knowing that opponents went out of their way to add extra prep in spring, preseason, and bye weeks because they felt it was required to be properly prepared to play us. Look at our performance against the rotating Atlantic opponents, especially Syracuse and Louisville, to see what would happen if they didn't do that extra prep.

The vitriol against the previous regime has left a sour taste in my mouth. Yes, I have been disappointed in the on field performance the last couple years, and I support CPJ's decision that it was time to step aside, although I was hoping for one more year. But I don't think TStan could have found a better coach to take over the program and I have high hopes for what Collins can accomplish. However, the constant bashing of CPJ and the option leaves me less excited about the new regime than I should be and would like to be.

Let me go on record to predict an 8-4 record this year, and 1st or 2nd in the Coastal. Within a few years, I expect to be consistent top 20 with periodic visits into the top 10.
You are sincerely a fan of cgc and don't begrudge him for accepting the job after cpj left.

( I don't see how we get to 8-4 with the losses of parker and Brandon, and no experience at qb, etc. )

You are a straight up fired up gt football fan and i believe will give cgc getting us to what ever record.

The posters i am calling out as lurkers are the ones that give shallow praise but label overly optimistic fans as koolaid drinkers or mions who drink mantra. They then post statements of plenty of talent and say " no excuses for less than 6-6". Imo, they are in sincere in thier posting. They have never posted what cgc would have to do to be enough.

I remain hopeful that cgc can win them over.

Your reference to cpj s record being about the same but w higher highs than chans is correct. We fired chan. Imo, we needed to shake up the assistant coaching ranks - maybe there was no $$ but they all got raises in 14.

If cpj s record was reversed in sequence.( Say he started slowly but just and now he had taken us to a second orange bowl) . I would be loving the assistants. I think cgc will be tough on assistants

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Ouch. Really? 4 games is a push now? I’d drop a G on that.

There’s no way we only win 3 is there? I guess you blow it to Temple and USF, you’re going to be scrambling. If we get Clayton and/or Ezzard I think we’re up to 6 kinda easily.

The preseason odds for winning 3 in 2015 were probably off the chart but it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
CGC has about as much of a free pass this year as a Tech coach is ever gonna get. You fan boys who have anointed him before ever calling a play for us can rest easy. If he’s missing bowls after this year I’ll start to worry.

If we win 6 in 2019 or 2020, I will call it a good season. New coaches and a new scheme in 2019, horrible schedule in 2020. I will start holding CGC fully accountable in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The lurkers (cheese, animal, ae, etc ) have yet to say a number of wins that will get them on board - and keep them on board.

As to talent on board- who has demostrated good or exceptional talent?
Ol?
Qb?
Dl?
Lb?

I am with u on giving him a 3-4 years and i am with the lurkers and its crazy to see any top 10 stuff in our near future . In 3 years we need to be clearly contending w top of coastal.

1) Under Chan (whom I didn't like as our coach) and under CPJ (whom I loved as our coach), I consistently said W-L alone is an immature assessment of the HC.

2) I'm a GT fan. I don't owe anyone proof by joining a hype train for a coach before a single snap -- least of all using a single immature metric.

3) If you like that metric so much, at CGC's only HC job, he took a team which had won 10 games before its bowl game in two consecutive seasons and then won 6 and 7 before the bowl game during his only two years. (Remember, I'm against the sole use of this metric while many of those against CPJ used it).

4) Bringing reason and data into a discussion grounded entirely in emotion is pointless. Stop asking for content when stirring up emotion.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
4) Bringing reason and data into a discussion grounded entirely in emotion is pointless. Stop asking for content when stirring up emotion.

This. Not aiming this reply at anyone in particular, but I am a data and facts guy. I know we all are passionate about Georgia Tech football, (I mean, why else would we be spending time on a message board devoted to it?), but we've gotten to the point where we cannot hold an honest debate without people on both sides getting up in arms over the silliest of things.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You are sincerely a fan of cgc and don't begrudge him for accepting the job after cpj left.

( I don't see how we get to 8-4 with the losses of parker and Brandon, and no experience at qb, etc. )

You are a straight up fired up gt football fan and i believe will give cgc getting us to what ever record.

The posters i am calling out as lurkers are the ones that give shallow praise but label overly optimistic fans as koolaid drinkers or mions who drink mantra. They then post statements of plenty of talent and say " no excuses for less than 6-6". Imo, they are in sincere in thier posting. They have never posted what cgc would have to do to be enough.

I remain hopeful that cgc can win them over.

Your reference to cpj s record being about the same but w higher highs than chans is correct. We fired chan. Imo, we needed to shake up the assistant coaching ranks - maybe there was no $$ but they all got raises in 14.

If cpj s record was reversed in sequence.( Say he started slowly but just and now he had taken us to a second orange bowl) . I would be loving the assistants. I think cgc will be tough on assistants
I'm not sure how to take this I guess you look at me as being a lurker ( that's fine I have been called worse ) . I liked CPJ I liked the way he run the program. I was fine with his offense not crazy about it but OK. Not crazy about some of his assistant coaches. As for CGC I like him full of energy and I like his assistant coaches ( But will keep an eye on Patenaude as I'm not crazy about running a fast pace offense without depth on the front 7 on defense) If he runs an offense to match the players till he gets what he needs than I'm fine. Right now the only thing I question about CGC is why he is fine with a fast pace offense, he is the only defensive coach that I know that wants to run a fast pace offense.

I don't pull for a coach but for Tech. I don't look for us to beat Clemson or that other Sh*t team at the end of the season. But I will cheer be at the games ( maybe not Clemson being on Thursday Night and on the road ) but USF, Citadel, Temple, UNC, Duke, Pitt, UVa, VT , NC State and yes even Miami if we can't win 6 or 7 of these games I would be upset.

I think CGC is close to being able to put a great recruiting class together but Tech is going to have to show they can win with the players they have. Very good or great players don't want to sign with a losing team the can't fill their stadium. And I do believe that if anyone wants to see a great recruiting class every year we will need to see more than Clemson win all the time. I just believe if Tech can put a few 8-10 wins seasons and see FSU Miami and maybe VT get back to what they were you will see players want to play in the ACC and not only the SEC.

So I'm not sure I'm what you who call a lurker or just an A*s hole or just a dumb fat old man that has had season tickets since 1981 . I think CGC can get the job done but I not willing to put up with 2 or 3 losing seasons.

Last edited:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
We can all be friends when we bring home a natty in the next 5 years. Or sulk together when we only win 3-5 games.

Either way, someone on here will say our coach sucks, the last coach sucked, or someone is wearing the wrong shade of gold.

I’m not saying I take any particular side, but I am saying all those claims are true.(y)(y)(y)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Anything thing less than 7 wins I will not be happy , less than 6 wins I'll be pissed .

GT's lifetime win rate in the ACC is 57.5%. 7 wins is 58%. So what you're saying is right out of the gate, Tech will be competitive to it's historical record. This is how you become disappointed.

I think we'll probably win 5-6 including a few upsets. But ... it should set us up well for future years.

One thing I liked about Clemson is the LONG-TERM thinking of improving the program. What does it take to average seven wins a season? Eight? Nine? And build the infrastructure to do that.

I feel like we are on the right path. But there's a lot of road ahead of us. (But I cannot wait for toe to meet leather.)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think my biggest frustration is that few people who insist we will win 6 games minimum can honestly lay out a reasonable path forward to 6. All I hear are the following talking points:

1. We always exceed expectations.
1a. That coach just retired, and a history of exceeding expectations is not proof of a result to come.
2. We have talented football players.
2a. True, but they were recruited for a specific scheme and few other P5 schools were offering our skill players. We lack depth and that lack of depth this year will be brutal IMO.
3. The Coastal sucks.
3a. Also true, but other teams are allowed to improve and generally have recruited better than us. Expecting wins over programs who recruit better and spend more money on their program is the height of hubris.
4. The defense will be improved.
4a. It couldn't get much worse, but OTOH, our offense is almost assuredly going to take a big step backwards.

My path to 6 would be thus:

1. Citadel and Temple wins.
2. USF should be a win, but might be more competitive than most here will want to admit.
IF we go 3-0 against our non-uga OOC opponents, we will need 3 ACC wins to get to 6.
3. UNC is our best hope for an ACC win. They will be in almost as much disarray as us this summer, so we are closest to them in terms of starting over. They do have more talent on their team than us though. (Their worst recruiting class in the last 6 years was ranked 31st, and three of those years were top 25)
IF we beat UNC, we need to pick up two more wins. VT should be much improved, as last year they were snakebitten with injuries and lost their starting QB early. Duke is no easy win anymore. Best guess is that Pitt could be a toss up. We lost to Pitt and Duke last year, and I don't see them as guaranteed wins. I don't see us beating UVA, Miami, Clemson, uga, or NCSU.
4. To get to 6, we will have to upset Duke and Pitt, as I don't think we will beat VT this year.

Again, no matter what happens, I will be in my seats, as I always am.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
GT's lifetime win rate in the ACC is 57.5%. 7 wins is 58%. So what you're saying is right out of the gate, Tech will be competitive to it's historical record. This is how you become disappointed.

I think we'll probably win 5-6 including a few upsets. But ... it should set us up well for future years.

One thing I liked about Clemson is the LONG-TERM thinking of improving the program. What does it take to average seven wins a season? Eight? Nine? And build the infrastructure to do that.

I feel like we are on the right path. But there's a lot of road ahead of us. (But I cannot wait for toe to meet leather.)
Point blank what I'm saying is I hate to lose hate to lose to anybody. I just plain hate to lose. the way supersizethatmutt hates blue I hate to lose.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1) Under Chan (whom I didn't like as our coach) and under CPJ (whom I loved as our coach), I consistently said W-L alone is an immature assessment of the HC.

2) I'm a GT fan. I don't owe anyone proof by joining a hype train for a coach before a single snap -- least of all using a single immature metric.

3) If you like that metric so much, at CGC's only HC job, he took a team which had won 10 games before its bowl game in two consecutive seasons and then won 6 and 7 before the bowl game during his only two years. (Remember, I'm against the sole use of this metric while many of those against CPJ used it).

Do u remember your december post cgc hire where " YOU" said we will "know" in a year -circa dec .?
I'm not sure how to take this I guess you look at me as being a lurker ( that's fine I have been called worse ) . I liked CPJ I liked the way he run the program. I was fine with his offense not crazy about it but OK. Not crazy about some of his assistant coaches. As for CGC I like him full of energy and I like his assistant coaches ( But will keep an eye on Patenaude as I'm not crazy about running a fast pace offense without depth on the front 7 on defense) If he runs an offense to match the players till he gets what he needs than I'm fine. Right now the only thing I question about CGC is why he is fine with a fast pace offense, he is the only defensive coach that I know that wants to run a fast pace offense.

I don't pull for a coach but for Tech. I don't look for us to beat Clemson or that other Sh*t team at the end of the season. But I will cheer be at the games ( maybe not Clemson being on Thursday Night and on the road ) but USF, Citadel, Temple, UNC, Duke, Pitt, UVa, VT , NC State and yes even Miami if we can't win 6 or 7 of these games I would be upset.

I think CGC is close to being able to put a great recruiting class together but Tech is going to have to show they can win with the players they have. Very good or great players don't want to sign with a losing team the can't fill their stadium. And I do believe that if anyone wants to see a great recruiting class every year we will need to see more than Clemson win all the time. I just believe if Tech can put a few 8-10 wins seasons and see FSU Miami and maybe VT get back to what they were you will see players want to play in the ACC and not only the SEC.

So I'm not sure I'm what you who call a lurker or just an A*s hole or just a dumb fat old man that has had season tickets since 1981 . I think CGC can get the job done but I not willing to put up with 2 or 3 losing seasons.
You are as honest a poster as we have.
Your post above is fullbof honest insites and posiytions on cgc and how he can gain acceptance w u.

Re reading ae s post it shows he is trained and professional debater because he is doing what any trained apologist would do when not wanting to answer a direct question. They set up a series seemingly logical sets to be addressed first. Once u touch one of them , away u go and never get to the to the simple question. I could care less about chan, Temple, etc

In Dec 18 AE posted " we would know in one year if cgc is the right coach" . I remember disagreeing and saying it would take longer and involve an ever improving acc coastal record. I assumed he had some metrics.

Whatever the metric bg e chooses , i would like to hear "how cgc can make you want him as gt s head coach" .

I woul

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Do u remember your december post cgc hire where " YOU" said we will "know" in a year -circa dec .?

Your post above is fullbof honest insites and posiytions on cgc and how he can gain acceptance w u.

Re reading ae s post it shows he is trained and professional debater because he is doing what any trained apologist would do when not wanting to answer a direct question. They set up a series seemingly logical sets to be addressed first. Once u touch one of them , away u go and never get to the to the simple question. I could care less about chan, Temple, etc

In Dec 18 AE posted " we would know in one year if cgc is the right coach" . I remember disagreeing and saying it would take longer and involve an ever improving acc coastal record. I assumed he had some metrics.

Whatever the metric bg e chooses , i would like to hear "how cgc can make you want him as gt s head coach" .

I woul

It seems there was something lost in translation.

Here's my post from the Collins Effect thread:
We'll know in a year.

Then a clarification a couple posts later:

Why did you reply to me?

My point was that there is data to support both an optimistic and a business as usual prediction on recruiting. Neither side is stupid or evil.

We'll know how good recruiting will be under cgc next year.

Then not many posts later you replied to my post which simply said, "We'll know in a year" (click on the little arrow to see the post in context):

Agree.
What do u need to see to be certain of Good things ?

I appreciate you saying that I am an honest poster.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think there are two teams on our schedule that could boat race us. The rest we should have a chance. Are we going to be better / worse than last year? No one knows. It's all guess work. @iceeater1969 we have QB experience, probably to the tune of 30% of last year's snaps. That doesn't mean he'll get more than 30% of this year's snaps, but who knows? Same thing for the OL and DL. These kids are a year older and a year bigger. You guys can poor mouth our team and lament that we'll win 3/4/5 games tops. You don't know. You don't have a clue. Neither do I. But, I'm going on record to say we'll end up 9-3 (10-2 won't surprise me) in the regular season and beat one of the bookends. That is unless we're estimate decimated by injuries. I usually predict an undefeated record until we lose, but realistically, everyone loses. It's just not going to necessarily be who everything thinks will beat us.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I woul
All I want is to win. I like CPJ doesn't mean I didn't get pissed off at times with him. I think CGC will or can be a good coach and when we lose I'm sure I'll get pissed at him but I would not fire any coach on only 2 seasons does not mean I want to see us lose. If his assistant coaches are as good as I think I just don't see less than 6 wins but I still want more than 6 . I have to believe that CBK thought we could win he didn't come here to be an assistant head coach he wants to be a head coach and what better way then to build a good OL and win. What makes me want CGC as GT's head coach I like him but realistically he is a little like when Clemson named Dabo their head coach work out for them , you have a hard worker but can he find the same type of assistant coaches as Dabo found without have the same money to spend. Right now I'm happy with him I can't think of anyone working harder then he has. two losing seasons I would get him a short leash on year 3.