GT needed a change

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Like years past, if our OC would stop calling the fumble play and the float it over the middle play, our score looks a lot better. Hopefully CDP removes those from the playbook.

What did you guys think of Temple's offense? Our yards per play (4.4) and total yardage (305) we nearly identical to Temple's (4.5, 322). Biggest difference in the box score was the turnovers - 3 vs. 1.

Incidentally, I don't think our D was all that great (1.7 ppd), where Temple's averaged ~1.2 ppd vs. their two other FBS opponents this year.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Like years past, if our OC would stop calling the fumble play and the float it over the middle play, our score looks a lot better. Hopefully CDP removes those from the playbook.

What did you guys think of Temple's offense? Our yards per play (4.4) and total yardage (305) we nearly identical to Temple's (4.5, 322). Biggest difference in the box score was the turnovers - 3 vs. 1.

Incidentally, I don't think our D was all that great (1.7 ppd), where Temple's averaged ~1.2 ppd vs. their two other FBS opponents this year.
I thought defense played well but that might be skewed from the last 10 years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Temple ain’t good. They probably struggle to make a bowl this year.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed, but, if you are being honest, play calling was sub-optimal
Ok, I’m just not there yet to blame the coach. I need to see more. I might in the future agree but just not yet. I thought at the beginning of the year this is what we would look like. Though I thought we would beat citadel.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What’s discouraging is ... I was there for the abyss of 1980-1985. And we crawled out of that and won a natty with Ross.

And yet, we couldn’t sustain it. APR, recruiting, donors ... whatever. We can’t seem to get out of our way and we are right back in the toilet.

I don’t fault the players and I don’t fault the coaches. I fault the AA. No vision. No strategy.

It’s very frustrating to watch one of the great academic institutions in the world ... look this bad.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And we might have won and dang sure wouldn’t have lost as bad as 24-2.
Temple ain’t good. They probably struggle to make a bowl this year.
If we ran it back next week, I doubt we lose as bad and possibly win. We score more points simply by virtue of turning it over less. I doubt the QBs make the same mistakes.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t fault the players and I don’t fault the coaches. I fault the AA. No vision. No strategy.

It’s very frustrating to watch one of the great academic institutions in the world ... look this bad.

While I agree I also fault the people above the AD. The schools that have excelled at FB seem to have a top down culture that supports the athletic endeavor and realizes that there is a benefit to the school itself by being successful. At GT, the AA seems to operate in a vacuum with an apparent indifference from the top. A guy like Homer Rice was able to overcome that somewhat but how many of those are out there? It's like waiting for Bird or Jordan to show up on your BB roster so you can have a competitive team.
I think this is why the fan base is dwindling. The school really doesn't appear to be all that interested to the casual observer.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, everyone keeps saying the turnovers today we're the difference. Ok, I agree, the game definitely would have been closer if GT didn't turn over the ball several times at inopportune places on the field.

This is exactly why we lost to Duke last year. What I can't understand, and what "irks" the hell out me, is that tons of people complained about how bad GT football was, the TO had to go, CPJ had lost the team...

Yet, the 3 turnovers today are now a "credible excuse"???

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, everyone keeps saying the turnovers today we're the difference. Ok, I agree, the game definitely would have been closer if GT didn't turn over the ball several times at inopportune places on the field.

This is exactly why we lost to Duke last year. What I can't understand, and what "irks" the hell out me, is that tons of people complained about how bad GT football was, the TO had to go, CPJ had lost the team...

I don't want to make this too simple for ya but last year against Duke we were in year 11. This is game 4. That's the difference. Don't overthink it.

TechPreacher

Banned
I don't want to make this too simple for ya but last year against Duke we were in year 11. This is game 4. That's the difference. Don't overthink it.

Nobody on last year's team played 11 years. This isn't the pros. Everyone gets four years, and leaves. It's like starting over every year with brand new players, because the team chemistry changes every year. For the new kids last year, Duke was game 7, not year 11. That IS a difference. Don't overthink it.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, he ain’t doing much now
Because it is PNodes fault that Oliver fumbled twice?!?! Seriously, some play calls were def. questionable, but a lot of what happened today was on the players. I saw some guys slowing up when running after ball carriers, I saw WRs and QBs that were NOT on the same page, meaning WR running a different route than QB expected. I saw bad decisions on ST to run out of the endzone and another run from like the 1 instead of a fair catch. There was a bad call on the sideline catch that was "out of bounds". All ONodes fault huh? Wow....

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
You must be responding to someone else's post, because this has nothing to do with what I wrote in response to your previous post. Please stay on point.

It's pretty obvious what my point was.. people are more tolerable of this awful performance this year because it's year 1 of a big transition. Last year's awful performance was year 11.. which is why people were tired of it.

Then you changed the topic about it being a new team every year. I guess we just disagree.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The part I disagree with is "tons of people". I don't believe most blame the fumbles by a ball carrier as endemic of an offensive system.

Not directed at you, but I'll pontificate... many of these thread debates devolve because folks are associating the opinion of a few to the opinion of many/a majority. By allowing a few to be a distraction, it's causing people to focus less on the content and more on the posters.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty obvious what my point was.. people are more tolerable of this awful performance this year because it's year 1 of a big transition. Last year's awful performance was year 11.. which is why people were tired of it.

Then you changed the topic about it being a new team every year. I guess we just disagree.

You can’t describe this year and last year with the same adjective. This year is many orders of magnitude worse than last year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Somebody ask the new president if he ever went to a GT football game while he was in school.
Don’t expect a lot from this guy. He’s was wondering why the ball didn’t have pentagonal & hexagonal panels, why people keep touching it with their hands & why there weren’t a bunch of whistles after people kept flopping on the ground with emergency room grade/life threatening injuries that magically got healed after a few gents went over & whispered in their ears.