GT needed a change

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Terrible coaching

Anything more specific to add to this? I certainly don't think Coach Collins and the staff are above criticism, but these are the types of posts I get tired of on this board. Literally zero substance. What was terrible about the coaching? What do you think should have been done differently?

I would honestly put most of the blame today on the players. Tobias really hurt us with both his passing and his two extremely costly turnovers.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
· This rebuild was inevitable the day we hired Paul Johnson. In fact I had this same discussion with several former players back in December 2007 when it leaked that we were hiring Paul. The common theme was “this is the ultimate gamble because when it ends the rebuild could be massive if we change the offense.” There is a reason no one in a Power 5 conference has or will hire a triple option coach. Regardless of the level of success if you want to move away from that scheme it will be extremely painful. We are seeing that first hand. Recruiting will suffer if you run that scheme.

· Our offensive line is probably the worst line I have maybe ever seen at a D1 school. We have guys that just cannot block in a passing scheme. Everyone seems to want to blame Patenaude however no one mentions Brent Key. IMO at this point it’s the fault of neither of those guys. The talent and the depth is just not there. If we were running triple option and still diving at people’s ankles we might be having more success since that’s what these guys were recruited to do and have done for their entire college careers. If you watch the replays of any of our games and pay attention to the o-line it’s horrifying. I feel sorry for our QB’s

· I don’t expect to see a lot of improvement with the o-line next year unless several of our o-line recruits enroll early and go thru workouts and spring practice. I’d guess at least 3-4 of the new line recruits will have to start or play a lot next year up front. The closer to the ball you are the harder it is to come in and make an immediate impact as a freshman.

· A positive today was that most of the snaps to the QB’s were accurate. That’s a start. A bad shotgun snap to a young QB is a disaster because they have to take their eyes off what’s going on downfield and they are not experienced enough to salvage the play. They panic and take off. Those guys are already jittery because on most plays they are running for their lives anyway.

· Our defense isn’t that bad considering how weak we are on the defensive line. I like the aggressiveness. The secondary is a strength. I love the press coverage. We’re scheming around the weakness up front. We need better linebacker play though.

· I wish we already had 1 or 2 big DT commits in this class.

· I like our wide receivers. We just don’t have the time to get them the ball. It’s probably surprising to many that we have some talent at that spot since Paul never threw the ball and would have more talent if we put Tobias in the mix. Ahmarean Brown is a great player. Glad we signed him late.

· Tobias is an NFL level athlete. I hate to use this as a comparison but he’s kind of like Hines Ward. It’s time to move him to receiver the majority of the time.

· James Graham needs to be the starter from here on out. Let Lucas and Yates back him up. No need to start rotating all the time again. He has the ability. He will get better with experience. Tell him he’s the guy so he can play without looking over his shoulder. If he totally tanks then reassess.

· Gold facemasks are ugly as hell.

· I liked Paul for the most part but was disappointed with his stubbornness when it came to his offense. The thing I hated most about his tenure was how bad the defensive play was and special teams most years were terrible. We had some good years and big wins. We also had a lot of mediocrity. He wanted out. Coaching at Tech ain’t easy. He’d had enough.

· What I don’t understand is why a handful of fans are so bitter about having a new coach when Paul left of his own accord.

· I don’t expect to win another game this year and wouldn’t be surprised if we only won a couple of games next year primarily because of the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball but mainly the offensive line. Going in I felt the over/under was 4 wins. I overestimated.

· Having said that outside of the ugag game we could win any of the remaining games if by some miracle we get good offensive line play and don’t turn it over. For that reason every game is worth watching because at any point in time that could happen. Unlikely but possible. If given the chance Graham will get better as the season moves forward.

· When Ross was trying to turn things around we played a top ten ranked South Carolina team at home in the middle of his 2nd year. I think they may have been ranked 8th. We were horrible and had been horrible for a year and half. We won 34-0. It was shocking. Of course we didn’t win another game that year except for VMI. Bottom line those guys were transforming that team up front and trying to find a QB. It took another season but we all know how that ended up. Thankfully Al Gore hadn’t invented the internet back then or Ross may not have survived the 1988 season. Lol

· We could’ve hired Nick Saban or Urban Meyer and it would not have changed anything about our current level of talent and our struggles up front. No one short of God himself was going to come in here and change the offensive scheme and win a bunch of games. This is going to suck for at least 2 years and possibly 3 but I think in year 3 we’ll start to see some real progress and hope as long as we continue to recruit better. Time will tell but I do know this. If the fan base does a total freakout to the point of damaging recruiting this will turn into a 5-8 year rebuild. Barring severe NCAA violations we aren’t firing any coaches any time soon. If you don’t believe me just look at the basketball team. Anywhere else Pastner would be toast.

· I’m disappointed in the place kicking situation. Wells was perfect last year and King has been a disaster since arriving at Tech. Kickers are strange birds. Most of it is mental. Whatever we did with Wells we shouldn’t have done. Should’ve left him alone and been thankful that they were handed a solid placekicker that had never missed a kick. Unless Wells has some off field issues there is no reason he shouldn’t be the kicker. Kickoffs as well or look at Harvin for kickoffs. King’s kickoffs are as bad as his field goal attempts. Harvin on the other hand is a stud. I guess if there was ever a year for us to have a great punter it needed to be this year.
I can't like this post enough, it needs to be pinned at the top of the football section all year.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Anything more specific to add to this? I certainly don't think Coach Collins and the staff are above criticism, but these are the types of posts I get tired of on this board. Literally zero substance. What was terrible about the coaching? What do you think should have been done differently?

I would honestly put most of the blame today on the players. Tobias really hurt us with both his passing and his two extremely costly turnovers.
Ok, I'll help him out. The coaching was terrible for several reasons. The asinine rotation of players is a major one for me. Pick your best 11 and leave them out there until they get tired. Stop subbing out your best players for whole drives at a time. There should never be a drive with Tre Swilling standing on the sidelines. Get Ahmarean Brown more involved! Dude has world class speed. Have they never heard of jet sweeps and pop passes or wide receiver screens? Why did we go hurry up into a punt formation instead of giving them a chance to review that 50 yard pass down to the 2 yd line that they said was out of bounds. Looked good to me from inside the stadium. Gotta at least give the refs a chance to review it. Also, what was up with yanking Graham out mid drive after he has steadily marched the team about 40-50 yards downfield only to put Oliver in which subsequently resulted in a fumble. There is that enough?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
· This rebuild was inevitable the day we hired Paul Johnson. In fact I had this same discussion with several former players back in December 2007 when it leaked that we were hiring Paul. The common theme was “this is the ultimate gamble because when it ends the rebuild could be massive if we change the offense.” There is a reason no one in a Power 5 conference has or will hire a triple option coach. Regardless of the level of success if you want to move away from that scheme it will be extremely painful. We are seeing that first hand. Recruiting will suffer if you run that scheme.

· Our offensive line is probably the worst line I have maybe ever seen at a D1 school. We have guys that just cannot block in a passing scheme. Everyone seems to want to blame Patenaude however no one mentions Brent Key. IMO at this point it’s the fault of neither of those guys. The talent and the depth is just not there. If we were running triple option and still diving at people’s ankles we might be having more success since that’s what these guys were recruited to do and have done for their entire college careers. If you watch the replays of any of our games and pay attention to the o-line it’s horrifying. I feel sorry for our QB’s

· I don’t expect to see a lot of improvement with the o-line next year unless several of our o-line recruits enroll early and go thru workouts and spring practice. I’d guess at least 3-4 of the new line recruits will have to start or play a lot next year up front. The closer to the ball you are the harder it is to come in and make an immediate impact as a freshman.

· A positive today was that most of the snaps to the QB’s were accurate. That’s a start. A bad shotgun snap to a young QB is a disaster because they have to take their eyes off what’s going on downfield and they are not experienced enough to salvage the play. They panic and take off. Those guys are already jittery because on most plays they are running for their lives anyway.

· Our defense isn’t that bad considering how weak we are on the defensive line. I like the aggressiveness. The secondary is a strength. I love the press coverage. We’re scheming around the weakness up front. We need better linebacker play though.

· I wish we already had 1 or 2 big DT commits in this class.

· I like our wide receivers. We just don’t have the time to get them the ball. It’s probably surprising to many that we have some talent at that spot since Paul never threw the ball and would have more talent if we put Tobias in the mix. Ahmarean Brown is a great player. Glad we signed him late.

· Tobias is an NFL level athlete. I hate to use this as a comparison but he’s kind of like Hines Ward. It’s time to move him to receiver the majority of the time.

· James Graham needs to be the starter from here on out. Let Lucas and Yates back him up. No need to start rotating all the time again. He has the ability. He will get better with experience. Tell him he’s the guy so he can play without looking over his shoulder. If he totally tanks then reassess.

· Gold facemasks are ugly as hell.

· I liked Paul for the most part but was disappointed with his stubbornness when it came to his offense. The thing I hated most about his tenure was how bad the defensive play was and special teams most years were terrible. We had some good years and big wins. We also had a lot of mediocrity. He wanted out. Coaching at Tech ain’t easy. He’d had enough.

· What I don’t understand is why a handful of fans are so bitter about having a new coach when Paul left of his own accord.

· I don’t expect to win another game this year and wouldn’t be surprised if we only won a couple of games next year primarily because of the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball but mainly the offensive line. Going in I felt the over/under was 4 wins. I overestimated.

· Having said that outside of the ugag game we could win any of the remaining games if by some miracle we get good offensive line play and don’t turn it over. For that reason every game is worth watching because at any point in time that could happen. Unlikely but possible. If given the chance Graham will get better as the season moves forward.

· When Ross was trying to turn things around we played a top ten ranked South Carolina team at home in the middle of his 2nd year. I think they may have been ranked 8th. We were horrible and had been horrible for a year and half. We won 34-0. It was shocking. Of course we didn’t win another game that year except for VMI. Bottom line those guys were transforming that team up front and trying to find a QB. It took another season but we all know how that ended up. Thankfully Al Gore hadn’t invented the internet back then or Ross may not have survived the 1988 season. Lol

· We could’ve hired Nick Saban or Urban Meyer and it would not have changed anything about our current level of talent and our struggles up front. No one short of God himself was going to come in here and change the offensive scheme and win a bunch of games. This is going to suck for at least 2 years and possibly 3 but I think in year 3 we’ll start to see some real progress and hope as long as we continue to recruit better. Time will tell but I do know this. If the fan base does a total freakout to the point of damaging recruiting this will turn into a 5-8 year rebuild. Barring severe NCAA violations we aren’t firing any coaches any time soon. If you don’t believe me just look at the basketball team. Anywhere else Pastner would be toast.

· I’m disappointed in the place kicking situation. Wells was perfect last year and King has been a disaster since arriving at Tech. Kickers are strange birds. Most of it is mental. Whatever we did with Wells we shouldn’t have done. Should’ve left him alone and been thankful that they were handed a solid placekicker that had never missed a kick. Unless Wells has some off field issues there is no reason he shouldn’t be the kicker. Kickoffs as well or look at Harvin for kickoffs. King’s kickoffs are as bad as his field goal attempts. Harvin on the other hand is a stud. I guess if there was ever a year for us to have a great punter it needed to be this year.
I would like to introduce you to the head coach of Georgia Tech. A fellow named Collins. He and he alone is responsible for the product on the field. (And I got to say I am always suspect of a conversation taking place 12 years ago dovetailing so nicely, and for the first time, with today's bashing. Wish we had heard it then.)

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This is just going to be one of those years. As Tech fans, we are very familiar with them. This year is turning into a dumpster fire. Next year, we will be better, but a tougher schedule will disguise the progress. If we don’t completely scare away the elite recruits we desperately need, the 2021 season could be pretty good...

Animal02

Banned
I would like to introduce you to the head coach of Georgia Tech. A fellow named Collins. He and he alone is responsible for the product on the field. (And I got to say I am always suspect of a conversation taking place 12 years ago dovetailing so nicely, and for the first time, with today's bashing. Wish we had heard it then.)
Not to mention the "rebuild" was not inevitable. This was a CHOICE TStan made. This fustercluck is his doing.

Animal02

Banned
This is just going to be one of those years. As Tech fans, we are very familiar with them. This year is turning into a dumpster fire. Next year, we will be better, but a tougher schedule will disguise the progress. If we don’t completely scare away the elite recruits we desperately need, the 2021 season could be pretty good...
You are ASSUMING that these coaches can actually coach.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Another snarky content free post that kind of accuses a poster of making up a story. Not to the point of calling him a liar.

What stat would show that the old jocks said going TO was a bad stategic move?
I donate a fair amount but never talk to or am around ex gt jocks. I think the BIG donors would be privy to those contacts and opinions. How do u think trend gt donations compare to acc and sec
My $$ report is coming .
You are not a skeptic.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If this was not a loss to temple and the Citadel you might be able to say talent. No, this is not talent alone for these two games.

Its not "just" talent. Its talent having to do things they haven't had to do. And Temple aint bad and neither is the AAC. Temple went blow for blow with UCF last year.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@CuseJacket that was not a vent. There is talent enough to make a better showing than we did....

But go ahead and blame our players. This is in no way due to coaching... we’ll have to wait three years...

No way Collins is a genius coach...

I follow you and @Ibeeballin that the OL is not where it needs to be... I agree. But Collins is not doing more with less.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on what time of the year the game would have been in 2018. Early? Probably not. Temple started off with losses to Villanova and Buffalo last year.
True. I think my statement stands based on the whole body of work.

Sagarin, which includes FCS, puts their standings together in a way that predicts Temple would be favored.

Football Outsiders, which excludes FCS, but therefore includes Temple's last 11 regular season games, suggests Temple was better than GT over that span and would have been favored on a neutral field.