GT needed a change

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Yes, by all means, let's throw out all the metrics that make them look dissimilar so that you can focus on one metric to push your narrative.

It's no narrative on my part. For the first time in 2 decades Tech fielded non competitive football teams. We missed bowls twice in the last 4 years and haven't been ranked since the second week of 2015. I promise you if I felt another 2014 type run was around the corner then I would have been all aboard the Johnson train. Unfortunately the program was going backwards

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yes, by all means, let's throw out all the metrics that make them look dissimilar so that you can focus on one metric to push your narrative.
I generally will not block many people because there's always merit to listening to someone's else's point if view, but that guy is delusional. At least make a valid argument

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
My goodness we were 24-25 over the last 4 years!!! Nothing we did in the 2 decades prior to that created a worse 4 year stretch. Everyone knows we need good coaching and that is why many wanted change. Johnson is responsible for a large portion of what happened Saturday afternoon.
If you are talking about from 1994 to 2014 (2 decades prior) you would be incorrect. There were at least 4 times where the preceding 4 years we had a worse record. 1995, 1996, 1997 and 1998.

We also never became irrelevant under gailey the way we did under Johnson. Haven't been ranked since 2nd week of 15.
I'm not sure how you think we were ever relevant under Gailey. Like I said, he never beat the mutts, and two of those losses fell squarely on his (and Patrick Nix's) shoulders. The mutts made fun of him and Reggie Ball, but, although they made fun of the TO, that same TO beat them 3 different times.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you think we were ever relevant under Gailey. Like I said, he never beat the mutts, and two of those losses fell squarely on his (and Patrick Nix's) shoulders. The mutts made fun of him and Reggie Ball, but, although they made fun of the TO, that same TO beat them 3 different times.

We were ranked in the top 15 at one point in Gailey final 3 seasons and had gameday come to GT games twice in his final 3 years. We were far more relevant than where we have been the last 4 years. Not ranked and gameday hasn't thought about coming to one of our games. You can't be irrelevant and have gameday coming to your games.

We were ranked in the top 15 at one point in Gailey final 3 seasons and had gameday come to GT games twice in his final 3 years. We were far more relevant than where we have been the last 4 years. Not ranked and gameday hasn't thought about coming to one of our games. You can't be irrelevant and have gameday coming to your games.
I don't remember which games had Gameday broadcasts, but it was probably more because of the relevancy of the opponent than Tech.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I this period of time is similar to 1979-1983

Then there was considerable talk of "deemphasizing" football, the talent level was far less than it is today, the schedule included Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, and Florida. There was widespread ridicule of our program in both the national and local press. Nah, the only real commonality is wide spread bitching about the coaches Pepper Rogers and Geoff Collins. Coach Collins is on easy street compared to Pepper. How would you like alumni complaining about your hair?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Then there was considerable talk of "deemphasizing" football, the talent level was far less than it is today, the schedule included Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, and Florida. There was widespread ridicule of our program in both the national and local press. Nah, the only real commonality is wide spread bitching about the coaches Pepper Rogers and Geoff Collins. Coach Collins is on easy street compared to Pepper. How would you like alumni complaining about your hair?
Yeah Pepper never fit in at GT,he would have been better off staying at UCLA

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
These are the types of arguments that drive people crazy. Both of you have valid points but then try to use that to make some over reaching point to end the debate. News flash, you're not going to change anyone's mind.

Yes, the program under CPJ was on the decline in recent year. CPJ tenure here at GT was heads and shoulders better than CCG. Its not even close.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
1974 IIRC.....cold, cold, windy driving rain in the Cesspool. A miserable day weather wise, but very memorable as there were only what seemed like a handful of dwags in the stands after halftime.
There was a cool picture in the AJC of Vince Dooley looking like a soaked mutt on the UGAG sidelines:D Then UGAG got pounded 21-10 by Miami of Ohio in the Tangerine Bowl afterwards.:LOL:

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not in the least. Gailey never beat the mutts, and he never won an ACC championship, even with Calvin Johnson against Wake, one of the poorest coached Tech games I have ever seen .... until Saturday.

I’m not going to defend Gailey because I was one of the loudest detractors of his, but outside of what CGC will face no one faced a stronger stretch of Ugag teams.

If he got to face decline Mark Richt instead of peak Mark Richt who knows what his record would’ve been?