GT needed a change

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bobinski from what I heard.

How long was he here? Vs rad. And stan

So. If that was the case. Then. It should be on an uptick with rad. Then. When squatch was hired a down tick. Then back up with stan.

The problem is. It was a steady decline from day almost 1.

But blame dumbbob. Like we blamed braine for stating the obvious

Not fighting about this. Cpj did nothing to help money flux. This isnt about collins or gailey. Its just who paul was.

Paul didnt inspire. Sucked at recruiting. But a great coach......on O.

Animal02

Banned
How long was he here? Vs rad. And stan

So. If that was the case. Then. It should be on an uptick with rad. Then. When squatch was hired a down tick. Then back up with stan.

The problem is. It was a steady decline from day almost 1.

But blame dumbbob. Like we blamed braine for stating the obvious

Not fighting about this. Cpj did nothing to help money flux. This isnt about collins or gailey. Its just who paul was.
And how is it CPJ's responsibilty? Dropping from above average in the ACC to second to last is now the HC's responsibility?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are many parts playing into the CPJ era.

The history of modern GT football and its average recruiting classes and then...
APR
Bad AD hire
Bad DC hires and low budget DC hires
Last in ACC spending
Russel
CPJ holding on to the OL coach
CPJ not gray, blue, or forcing player out
GT becoming MIT part 2

All this and GT was very relevant over CPJs coaching time frame.

You can hate the O. You can not like CPJ. The man did good by his players and brought some very high moments to the fans.

You have not seen what low looks like... I’m afraid there may be a new bar set over the next two years...

I’m pulling to be wrong ... I want to be wrong about the next 4 years.

Animal02

Banned
There are many parts playing into the CPJ era.

The history of modern GT football and its average recruiting classes and then...
APR
Bad AD hire
Bad DC hires and low budget DC hires
Last in ACC spending
Russel
CPJ holding on to the OL coach
CPJ not gray, blue, or forcing player out
GT becoming MIT part 2

All this and GT was very relevant over CPJs coaching time frame.

You can hate the O. You can not like CPJ. The man did good by his players and brought some very high moments to the fans.

You have not seen what low looks like... I’m afraid there may be a new bar set over the next two years...

I’m pulling to be wrong ... I want to be wrong about the next 4 years.
I have seen what lows look like....having attended Tech from Fall of 78 through spring of 83........and it was not just football that was bad.
I hope we don;t repeat that.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
As I have said before, I was firmly in the Monken camp. I think it was the wrong decision not to hire him and to hire CGC instead. I won't go back into the details on that because I've already done so, and it's not the time for it.

But, I want to be fair to GT, to Stansbury, and to Collins in evaluating this new era as a fan. I understand that I am not infallible in my view, so I could be wrong about the decision ... Maybe we can recruit really well (like top 10-15 eventually). Maybe we can have a great defensive scheme with Collins, Thacker, and Burton heading it up. Maybe Patenaude is a very underrated offensive mind who can be a top OC eventually once the recruiting catches up.

I know this: it would not be fair to seriously criticize this Collins era in the first year. He has to have time to develop his "culture" and to recruit players to what he's trying to do. So, even though losing to the Citadel was embarrassing (and VERY ironic), I'm not going to take cheap shots at Collins or the program right now. This Citadel loss provides such a tempting opportunity to claim that my view about Monken/Collins and the Option and the philosophy of football hype vs substance and such is the superior view, I just don't feel it fair or right to do so at this point. It's a "love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others" thing. If the shoe was on the other foot and people were criticizing Monken or my view unfairly, I would think they were wrong for doing so, so I will try to abide by a consistent standard.

I have to confess that I did feel some morbid sense of satisfaction at losing to the Triple Option the way we did, even though I was pulling for GT the whole game. I was sick over losing when we missed that last field goal and they made theirs, and yet something in me cheered the way that option was churning against us with us having the far superior players. There was just something poetic about it.

For me, it's going to be a frustrating 3 years, but I truly don't think it will be fair to make any kind of serious evaluation of Collins until we get to year 3 or 4, with his players being entrenched in his schemes. Another poster (@jacketup , I think?) astutely pointed out our struggles during G'Ol and Freidgen's first few years with Little Joe. Seems to me those on our side of this view should consciously and publicly take the high road, cheer for Collins and GT for the next 3 years for better or worse, and then either be proven right or wrong. Once that time comes, we're either enjoying the success of our being wrong or we get to proclaim our view to be the one we should all follow from that point forward. And, hopefully, we would have a fanbase that would be as unified as possible and ready to hear it. GT's success moving forward (which an above average, unified, mature fanbase would help with in the long run) should be all of our priority.

That's all well and good...

Ross, Friegen and O'leary were well respected seasoned pro's with extensive P5 CV's...

In this past game the decision making seemed, arbitrary and lacking purposeful cumulative direction...

Lucas Johnson is not Joe Hamilton...and clearly not the answer

Oliver and Graham are superior talents that perform at a noticable "crisp quickness" it was painfully obvious every time Oliver touched the ball he should be in the game as much as possible...and if not why not

He and Graham should be on the field now to:

1. Win
2. Make and investment for the future with Graham

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
GT needed a change for the fan base. I am very happy Monken was not hired as this year and next will be tough no matter who is the coach. All losses would have been blamed on the TO versus the real issue of the last AD and the low level of spending on program (last in the ACC).

I can't say I am a believer in the current coaching team. Yes, I think the recruiting will improve on the offensive side of the ball and will stay about the same on defense (lets see how attrition plays out).

The hype and the stretching of reality gives me pause. Hype can only take you as far as the field, but it will not get you through a game.

People were so ready for something different, something like what UGA did, they did not stop to look at what GT was hiring. Two seasons of 8/4 at Temple with no major change in recruiting. Fans bought the same hype Collins is selling the new recruits.

If you listen to the fans, you'll end up in the stands. All this calling to pass is crazy. The team is not setup to pass. Play TO and play something like Pitt runs. (but i am a fan, don't listen to me). I bet Collins thought he could practice throwing on Citadel before he had the game put away. Get new players and then transition.

Find an effective identity on O and let the D continue to improve. We have who we have at least for 3 to 4 years.

I am not opposed to Monken should we need a change in 3 to 4 years. I don't want to be Duke, WF, or Vandy with an additional handicap of being a stem school... why should we out recruit these guys much less UGA and Clemson?
Why on God's green earth are you even mentioning another coaches name (monken) after 3 games? Wow. I am embarrassed by the thought process of some "fans."

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why on God's green earth are you even mentioning another coaches name (monken) after 3 games? Wow. I am embarrassed by the thought process of some "fans."

Certainly don’t need to mention Monken. Pick any current P5 head coach or coordinator and you can make a strong argument that coach would have been a better hire.

Horrible start. 3 years to figure it out. Hopefully show signs of this after the much needed bye.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Certainly don’t need to mention Monken. Pick any current P5 head coach or coordinator and you can make a strong argument that coach would have been a better hire.

Horrible start. 3 years to figure it out. Hopefully show signs of this after the much needed bye.

We can all agree Saturday "sucked." 3 years maybe... 3 games? Good grief o_O

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't. I've always said Kansas should be running it. Another few years in the basement of P5 basements and I could see them biting on it.

I think it could make sense for Kansas and a few others who generally top out at low 3 star recruiting. Even then, it will take a gutsy AD who is pretty secure in his job.