GT needed a change

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Now, now. I do one post where I talk about what I see as a lack of team discipline and all of a sudden I'm "… after cgc from the get go"? No. I'm not and I never have been. I was very disappointed in our performance against Citadel - who wasn't? - and I really didn't like what I saw on the sidelines. I made the connection and I hope to see improvement. In all phases of the game. Getting serious about winning and looking like it would be a good start.
You clearly overstated what happened. That referee crew was hair trigger.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Can someone explain to me what exactly calling it a "must win" game means? "Must win" or what? You'll stop being a fan? You'll give up on the season? You'll call for the coach's firing 4 games into year 1? I don't understand the point of calling games "must win" so early on.

Yes, it's one of our better chances at getting a win for the whole season but it's still a game we're 8 point dogs in. I look forward to seeing our boys come out on Saturday and play some ball. Hope to see a lot of improvement on offense and hope to see the D play more like it did in week 2. Go Jackets!

Must win to salvage the season...bolster recruiting...and establish some confidence in the staff among some concerned fans.

Citadel shoulda been a must win. Now Temple is. Lose it and the next game becomes an even bigger “must win.” It’s a turn of phrase. Most understand it as such.

Should be a competitive game...unlike Citadel which shouldn’t have been. Coming off the bye I think Tech earns a tough win to calm the waters.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
About that Fulmer Cup....we have been in a wonderful position, but it's up to CGC to see that we stay that way. Kinda like graduation rates. Too early to tell imo.

Best words on this entire website "Too early to tell." All this stuff about CGC is embarrassing, can't coach etc after 3 games is ridiculous. Give the guy a chance before you railroad him and his staff. True fans know this year and next are tough for almost any new coach to go through. He's got to do a true injustice to GT for me to throw him under the bus before year 4.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Best words on this entire website "Too early to tell." All this stuff about CGC is embarrassing, can't coach etc after 3 games is ridiculous. Give the guy a chance before you railroad him and his staff. True fans know this year and next are tough for almost any new coach to go through. He's got to do a true injustice to GT for me to throw him under the bus before year 4.
4 years?!? You guys are making it seem like CGC inherited a baseball team and is trying to teach them football. He has football players. 4 years is crazy. Year one fine, whatever, but I want to see progress in year two. I ain't crazy about his 15-10 HC records either, but I guess that's a reflection of his in game coaching. I expect both to improve, but I'm not giving it until year 4. That's crazy. Especially since this team has a winning record last year and a couple plays away from winning the division.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with CGC other than his pick for offensive coordinator and if we don't see some Improvement on offense than he needs to be looking.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
4 years?!? You guys are making it seem like CGC inherited a baseball team and is trying to teach them football. He has football players. 4 years is crazy. Year one fine, whatever, but I want to see progress in year two. I ain't crazy about his 15-10 HC records either, but I guess that's a reflection of his in game coaching. I expect both to improve, but I'm not giving it until year 4. That's crazy. Especially since this team has a winning record last year and a couple plays away from winning the division.

We won the Orange Bowl in 2014, then dropped in 2015. Wasn't the coaching. It was injuries and roster depletion (which CPJ said would be the case). Next years OCC would give any P5 coach reason to worry....ND, UCF, uga.

Year 3 will be his first year with sophomores that he recruited from the get go. Then we will see where we are.

If you want to fire a guy with a 7 year contract, please donate that money you have now so we can surpass the AI2020. ADTS gave a 7 year contract because he knows where we were at and what it will take to get where we want to be. It takes time. This years recruits were CPJ recruits.

AND yes it matters 100% what system you are recruited to and what system you played. At 7ft 275, I was recruited for a half-court offense, but when that coach left and the new coach wanted to run full speed up and down, we went from missing the national tourny by 11 points to only winning 8 games. Pretty much same team, but we just didn't have the tools to run what he wanted to run. GIVE THE MAN TIME TO GET HIS GUYS IN HERE.

Like I've stated before, the coaching staff was put together for a big splash with the money we had, not to sustain us. We will lose 2 to 3 each year after next year until the staff has turned completely over.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
On the other hand (half-empty version), weren't we a couple of plays away from finishing in the bottom 1/3?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
We won the Orange Bowl in 2014, then dropped in 2015. Wasn't the coaching. It was injuries and roster depletion (which CPJ said would be the case). Next years OCC would give any P5 coach reason to worry....ND, UCF, uga.

Year 3 will be his first year with sophomores that he recruited from the get go. Then we will see where we are.

If you want to fire a guy with a 7 year contract, please donate that money you have now so we can surpass the AI2020. ADTS gave a 7 year contract because he knows where we were at and what it will take to get where we want to be. It takes time. This years recruits were CPJ recruits.

AND yes it matters 100% what system you are recruited to and what system you played. At 7ft 275, I was recruited for a half-court offense, but when that coach left and the new coach wanted to run full speed up and down, we went from missing the national tourny by 11 points to only winning 8 games. Pretty much same team, but we just didn't have the tools to run what he wanted to run. GIVE THE MAN TIME TO GET HIS GUYS IN HERE.

Like I've stated before, the coaching staff was put together for a big splash with the money we had, not to sustain us. We will lose 2 to 3 each year after next year until the staff has turned completely over.

7 feet? Oh my!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand (half-empty version), weren't we a couple of plays away from finishing in the bottom 1/3?
If GT football has taught me anything, it's that any season is 4-6 plays away from 11-1 and 3-8. Even 2014, it's incredibly how close we skirted the line (the Southern game really should have been a loss without miracle fumble and JT's ascension).

Animal02

Banned

You make my point.....a good coach goes with the horses he has and what they can do,. A poor coach tries to fit the round peg in a square hole......it is becoming clear what we have.