GT needed a change

slugboy

Staff member
We were ranked in the top 15 at one point in Gailey final 3 seasons and had gameday come to GT games twice in his final 3 years. We were far more relevant than where we have been the last 4 years. Not ranked and gameday hasn't thought about coming to one of our games. You can't be irrelevant and have gameday coming to your games.

Gailey never ended a season ranked in the top 25. We occasionally got ranked, but never stayed for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
@RickStromFan go reread my original post.

I said change was needed and I was glad Monken was not picked. And yes I am not a believer in the current coach... nor am I anti current coach... other than I am anti CPJ haterz as they refuse to see the current landscape for what it is... (haterz is not the same as people who are just not CPJ fans)

Now I could be wrong. Collins may end up being great (and then I will be a believer) and GT has no obstacle to recruiting. But, Collins does not have enough data and GTs recruiting data is what it is.

I guess I don't understand why you said that you were above posting, even though your post is what started this whole thing.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People who liked CPJ “never” called for you to support him because he was a GT coach.

People who liked CPJ presented data on why they liked him and others presented data on why they did not.

I don’t recall support him or you don’t support GT from anyone on the boards.

Shoot, if this guy wins with a clean program, he has my support.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I certainly don’t hate CGC. He was completely ill prepared for Citadel. I am in the camp that it was time for CPJ to go because he was completely hamstringing his DC’s or doing something where the Defense sucked. I’m okay with moving on from the TO. There are plenty of find offenses out there. I’m not okay with having a crappy offense and continuing to put players in that are so obviously “below the line” compared to other players at their position. Especially at a critical position like QB. I’m not impressed with Patenaude. I’ve watched everything I can get my hands on and he is unimpressive. He can’t see the game real time. He’s had the same problem with QB’s at multiple stops. We have a clear strength right now. He needs to play to that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In other words just shut up and accept losing seasons? Hell NO! Yes we are "stuck" with CGC......that does NOT mean accepting multiple losing seasons for his experiments.

No. Please don't shut up. Just choose the words you say to be supportive of the players and team, not critical of the coaching staff trying to implement major changes.

You are being willfully obtuse in this. There is no reason to like a losing season, but anyone with a modicum of foresight could predict this once the decision was made to move away from option football. As a matter of fact, it was mentioned well before CPJ retired that if we made this change, it would likely set us up for multiple losing seasons. I think oyu're probably a pretty nice guy, but at this point you are just trolling every thread with anti-CGC rhetoric. There was no bigger CPJ fan and supporter than I was, but I have chosen to support CGC.

You can't control the following things:

1. Coaching staff
2. Players available
3. Gameday roster decisions
4. In game coaching decisions

You can control these things:

1. Your attitude
2. Your personal attendance/donations

That's it. I choose to make my attitude supportive of the team. Right now ou are choosing to make yours an annoyance to the bulk of this board. All I am asking you is to reconsider your personal vendetta against CGC and at least try and support our efforts as a team.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain to me what exactly calling it a "must win" game means? "Must win" or what? You'll stop being a fan? You'll give up on the season? You'll call for the coach's firing 4 games into year 1? I don't understand the point of calling games "must win" so early on.

Yes, it's one of our better chances at getting a win for the whole season but it's still a game we're 8 point dogs in. I look forward to seeing our boys come out on Saturday and play some ball. Hope to see a lot of improvement on offense and hope to see the D play more like it did in week 2. Go Jackets!
I wasn't the original poster, but I would guess that he means "must win" in the sense of if we don't when this one, the wheels may fall completely off this season. College football is a funny thing. Maybe we don't win this one (one can only imagine the meltdown on this board at that point), but then we turn it around against UNCheat and "find ourselves" and if not win several in a row at least make positive steps.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't the original poster, but I would guess that he means "must win" in the sense of if we don't when this one, the wheels may fall completely off this season. College football is a funny thing. Maybe we don't win this one (one can only imagine the meltdown on this board at that point), but then we turn it around against UNCheat and "find ourselves" and if not win several in a row at least make positive steps.

That is what is weird about this being a must win, I see us having a much better chance beating UNcheat than Temple.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Still doesn't explain the off field discipline you bashed him for. Sidelines are part of the field. I'm sure CGC will make sure the non playing players will be quiet and somber when we get behind in a game from now on.

Using your logic, we as fans shouldn't yell on money downs, because as you said, enthusiasm doesn't translate to the performance on the field.

When you mention off field discipline, your referring to our standing in the Fulmer Cup. Which we are in a wonderful position.

Go Tech!
We're gasping at straws here aren't we? The sidelines are … well, the sidelines. The game is on the field. I take behavior on the sidelines as an indicator of the coaches control of their team. Like most everyone else. And I don't have any real problem with the players getting behind their comrades on the field; all team do that. What bothers me is that our coaching staff seems to think that they need to be goaded into it by sideline cheerleaders. I mean there's real team spirit and there's forced enthusiasm. The two are different. Most coaching staffs know the difference.

As to the fans, they can yell all they want. but thinking that our cheering does a whole lot for performance on the field is simply not true. Watch an Alabama game to see what I'm talking about. Showing up to cheer is another story; that does make a difference to players. But, hey, everybody's favorite comparison (Duke) plays in front of a half empty (if they're lucky) stadium at home and still does ok. It's up to the players and the coaches to get ready to win games, not us.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Maybe he was busy grading the juice crew? ;) Just kidding. (Please don't ban me Cuse) But seriously, some of the culture change elements can be distracting to players and coaches alike on game day.

Players attempting to fire up their teammates or the crowd isn’t what people have complained about. That’s just the straw man that’s been set up now. The complaints were about players dancing on the sidelines as if we were up by 2 TDs rather than on the verge of an embarrassing loss.

Is the dancing really doing anything to encourage more crowd noise?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Is this a serious take? Good lord
Well … the whole statement was. And I quote:

"As to the fans, they can yell all they want. but thinking that our cheering does a whole lot for performance on the field is simply not true. Watch an Alabama game to see what I'm talking about. Showing up to cheer is another story; that does make a difference to players."

NB: "… thinking that our cheering does a whole lot for performance on the field" does not say it has no effect at all. But next to team preparation and dedicated discipline on the sidelines, it isn't much. As the next statement, "Showing up to cheer is another story; that does make a difference to players." clearly shows.

I suppose some of this may be the kind of coaching I got in high school and college. Both coaches - and they were legendary - taught that attention to the game was important, not what the fans in the stands were up to. They both figured that is we prepared well, gave a good effort , and, of course, won, that was enough and it was on us to do it. I also never played in front of a crowd 40,000 or so. That probably is a different kettle of fish. I know that my coaches would have considered that a distraction from what counted, however.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Y’all are so hypocritical that it is nauseating.

Like wtf do y’all want! You wanted transparency with the program. You got that.

How so?

You wanted a better brand for GT. You are getting that.

Really? The branding ain’t looking so hot at 1-2 with a loss to the Citadel.

Everything hasn’t been hype. Proof is in the pudding in regards to perception and recruiting especially in the metro area.

Seems like a slight uptick so far. Need more pudding for proof.

Let me let you in on a secret. We were 1-2 at this same point in the season last yr. Y’all are just nitpicking to the point of being irrational

See above for record including FCS loss.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
People who liked CPJ “never” called for you to support him because he was a GT coach.

People who liked CPJ presented data on why they liked him and others presented data on why they did not.

I don’t recall support him or you don’t support GT from anyone on the boards.

Shoot, if this guy wins with a clean program, he has my support.
Do u support the team , just not the head coach?