GT needed a change

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Not even close. But, I will grant you there are a few similarities but the differences in infrastructure, depth, talent, recruiting resources is beyond compare. 1979 to 1983 might better be compared to the end of Coach Alexander's time. We were getting beat regularly then. There was widespread talk of discontinuing football during the 1979 to 1983 era. In spite of widespread complaining now, there is no thought of doing anything that drastic.
Great points you make,Heisman's Ghost(y) GT in the final two seasons in Coach Alexander's time at GT in 1943 and 1944 went 8-3 and 8-3 and won 2 SEC Championships;) GT also in 1944 and 1945 beat UGAG 48-0 and 44-0:):cool::D:smuggrin:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Great points you make,Heisman's Ghost(y) GT in the final two seasons in Coach Alexander's time at GT in 1943 and 1944 went 8-3 and 8-3 and won 2 SEC Championships;) GT also in 1944 and 1945 beat UGAG 48-0 and 44-0:):cool::D:smuggrin:
Yes he did but he had really bad teams in the 1930s so bad that Coach Dodd later said that no school in big time football as it was then would have tolerated Coach Alexander's record.

Yes he did but he had really bad teams in the 1930s so bad that Coach Dodd later said that no school in big time football as it was then would have tolerated Coach Alexander's record.
Boy, you are really correct. Alexander would have one or two great years immediately followed by 3 or more TERRIBLE years. After winning the NC in '28, we followed up with a string of 6 straight losing seasons. WOW

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Our fanbase has been broken for a long time. The Citadel loss just threw gasoline into the fire.
AJ...succinct and sadly on point...

My expectations were low and pleasantly surprised that we stumbled thru a win with USF, but losing the way we did as a 27 point favorite brought me to a Popeye moment (all I can stands and I can't stands no more) - where is the can of spinach!

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
We may be a fragile fanbase, but so are other ACC schools. Even SEC schools are not selling out games. Take the Florida/Tennessee game. The stadium was not full.

I expect as this season continues BDS to see fewer and fewer Tech fans in the seats. There will likely be more Dawg fans than Tech fans come Thanksgiving.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
We may be a fragile fanbase, but so are other ACC schools. Even SEC schools are not selling out games. Take the Florida/Tennessee game. The stadium was not full.

I expect as this season continues BDS to see fewer and fewer Tech fans in the seats. There will likely be more Dawg fans than Tech fans come Thanksgiving.
I think there will be 50,000 UGAG fans in Bobby Dodd Stadium for the UGAG-Georgia Tech game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Watching college football, I think anyone outside of those top 10 or so recruiting schools has to make a choice: good offense or good defense. It's really rare to find a team not in that upper recruiting echelon that has both. When you're not recruiting to that elite level, you have to choose where your best athletes play. The teams that sneak into the top 25 consistently tend to lean one way or the other
Wisconsin says hello and with the majority being local corn fed boys, too. They are my new favorite team to upset the apple cart at the top of the college football pyramid.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's no narrative on my part. For the first time in 2 decades Tech fielded non competitive football teams. We missed bowls twice in the last 4 years and haven't been ranked since the second week of 2015. I promise you if I felt another 2014 type run was around the corner then I would have been all aboard the Johnson train. Unfortunately the program was going backwards
Woody’s defense needed time just like Collins’ offense needs time. Most were excited by the hire and knew it would take a couple years to get rolling like it did at his previous school.

In addition, we had two prototypical quarterbacks in the pipeline as well. I think the future was bright, but we’ll never know now. I know he retired, but I don’t think he would have if he felt more welcome and supported by the fans and the school.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Woody’s defense needed time just like Collins’ offense needs time. Most were excited by the hire and knew it would take a couple years to get rolling like it did at his previous school.

In addition, we had two prototypical quarterbacks in the pipeline as well. I think the future was bright, but we’ll never know now. I know he retired, but I don’t think he would have if he felt more welcome and supported by the fans and the school.
Excellent two posts cheese.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think that's a fair statement. Those fans probably also saw the decline in the program and our descent into irrelevance and probably got frustrated. I mean, we haven't had a nationally-relevant game since 2014...and before that, back to 2009. Kinda hard to drum up interest in seasons like 2017-18, esp. when you keep losing to Duke.

Also hard to drum up interest after losing to a FCS team that was winless vs...other FCS teams.

Well actually optimism would be a better word than interest. Tech fans haven’t been very interested in football generally for 4 decades.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
See it’s people like @jacketup that make me want to say... you got what you wanted... enjoy the ride to glory (roll film of Thelma and Louise). But I decided to rise above it and not post....

Not post? You STARTED this thread! And you started it by throwing shade at the current staff and pining for a coaching change in 3 years.

LongestDay said:
I can't say I am a believer in the current coaching team

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@RickStromFan go reread my original post.

I said change was needed and I was glad Monken was not picked. And yes I am not a believer in the current coach... nor am I anti current coach... other than I am anti CPJ haterz as they refuse to see the current landscape for what it is... (haterz is not the same as people who are just not CPJ fans)

Now I could be wrong. Collins may end up being great (and then I will be a believer) and GT has no obstacle to recruiting. But, Collins does not have enough data and GTs recruiting data is what it is.