GT - ND postgame thread

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay. Curry was recruited by the previous staff and coached for 4 years by the previous staff. He is almost entirely a product of the previous staff. He is literally the worst example of the point you are trying to prove.
Since you ignored the point I was making, no point in continuing this.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping for a GT unexpected and we win by 3. But the game went more or less as would have expected.

1. I am glad CGC ran Wesley Wells so he could have more of "his" players
2. Fourth and 2 you go for it with Mason in there. But wait lets call timeout and but the smaller freshman in there.

It does not matter if we have top 10 recruiting classes if you don't have the quality HC, DC and OC to coach them.

I really don't understand how so many people on this board are laser focused on recruiting only and can't see the huge fundemental weaknesses that will do nothing but waste the talent we get.
It is like you actually think you can see the emperor's new clothes

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
ND basically used our game as a practice to prepare for Clemson. They were in complete control from the beginning and they knew it. We had a few moments of decent play but we do have scholarship athletes don't we. Let's face the facts-reality check- we are a bad team. Whether it's incapable players or subpar coaching or a combination of both, we are one of the worst teams in the league this year. It shouldn't bother me but it does because I care so much about my school. I now know how Vandy and Tulane fans must feel. I sure hope for the player's sake we can get a win or two in the remaining games. They need something positive to give them a reason to keep working hard. They did what the staff asked them to do in the off season. Gained weight and worked hard in S&C. Now just don't give up.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
My take - take it or leave it, IIWII

- Love the uniforms
- Our lines and linebackers, as a whole, are not p5 quality (but, to some degree this has been true for a long while)
- The coaching staff we have, except Choice, is not getting it done (showing player growth and improvement) in my opinion - right now, I have no confidence that this staff can have success, even if recruiting can stay in the top 25-30, and I still think that it will be difficult to keep that recruiting momentum with performances like are being seen each week
- Our HC would be better served as a coordinator or position coach - don't believe he has what it takes to be the head guy (deer in headlights and now getting very defensive)
I actually think the D is showing some progress under Thacker. We really haven’t been good on defense since Tenuta and the game was very different then. We still have a mile to go, but he gets a pass from me for now.

I don’t know what to think of our clock management or our offensive tempo. We take our time with a minute left in the half and go fast at other times when our defense is gassed. It seems like we should just try to keep our qb settled. The team rushed after the big pass play to the ND 30 and got a false start followed by a strip sack.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I was hoping for a GT unexpected and we win by 3. But the game went more or less as would have expected.

1. I am glad CGC ran Wesley Wells so he could have more of "his" players
2. Fourth and 2 you go for it with Mason in there. But wait lets call timeout and but the smaller freshman in there.

It does not matter if we have top 10 recruiting classes if you don't have the quality HC, DC and OC to coach them.

I really don't understand how so many people on this board are laser focused on recruiting only and can't see the huge fundemental weaknesses that will do nothing but waste the talent we get.
It is like you actually think you can see the emperor's new clothes

What exactly is the “huge fundemental weakness”? I want specific examples and what you would have done instead.

I see some much complaint on this board about this or that. Always vague. “Our play calling is soooo bad” is the one I see the most. Which play call? What play do you think should have been called?

I really don’t even know how a lot of you think you can judge these coaches when we are losing every snap at the line of scrimmage. It’s 100% obvious just by looking out on the field who the bigger, stronger team is. And it’s never us.

so that’s why I care about recruiting. Once Collins has his players, different story. But your line isn’t just going to get bigger and stronger overnight.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I see some much complaint on this board about this or that. Always vague. “Our play calling is soooo bad” is the one I see the most. Which play call? What play do you think should have been called?
I'm sure I could come up with examples of "bad play calling" if I thought about it long enough. But most people look at the success/failure of a play and judge it by that metric, as opposed to looking at whether the risk/reward for the called play was reasonable. That's not realistic. You call the perfect play and someone misses a block and the perfect call gets blown up. It works the other way too. I don't have any real issues with our play calling this year. Better blocking would make all of it look much better...

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know, but if he's the best we've got, our offense will continue to suck and we're not going to be where we want to be in year 4.

Why are you staring your opinion as fact? You have no idea how good our offense is going to be four years from now. Do you know how hard it is to start from Day 1 at QB as a true freshman?

Here’s some players who didn’t do it: Trevor Lawrence, Deshaun Watson, Tua, Justin Fields, Kyler Murray.

It’s difficult. Fortunately for those other teams they had solid upper class men QBs who were recruited to run their offense. We don’t have that luxury right now.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don't know, but if he's the best we've got, our offense will continue to suck and we're not going to be where we want to be in year 4.

You know what Sims will be playing like in year 3 or 4? You would have pulled the hook on JoeHam too, then. Sims has shown a Ton of potential for a true freshman with no spring practice. I swear I am living on a different planet than some of ya'll.

geno57

Georgia Tech Fan
My brother is an Ohio State alum. He called to talk about some family matters and while we were talking, I cheered because we actually got a FG off. When I told him that we were 1-5 up to that point with the last 4 being blocked he thought I was kidding and over exagerating the state of affairs on the Flats. He knows we are bad but I am not sure he believed what I told him. Life is different for folks on the other side of the tracks. Those people don't think things like this can actually be real.
Your brother cannot fathom how inept we are right now. Ohio State is a well oiled machine and it must hurt Georgia fans in the heart to see Justin Fields playing so well in that offense. Makes me smile!

Deleted member 2897

Eh yeah we are overpowered and outmanned but it’s exhausting to see. It’s either we are overmatched against a top team, or we play like *** against a mediocre team and lose anyways.
Seems like it’s always something to handicap us and I guess that’s just football too.

We just look like we play dumb football a lot of times. Terrible clock management. Watching curry flow with the QB and stare at him waiting for him to throw without deciding to pressure him is maddening. If i keep going this will turn into a rant. There isn’t anything I can say that hasn’t been said a million times already.

Watching football isn’t fun anymore. Nobody is allowed to criticize anyone (players and/or coaches) without getting backlash. If you’re claiming be patient with Collins, you’ll get backlash too. Winning will solve all of this but that isn’t a feasible solution right now.

BTW you’re also not allowed to say anything you’re not allowed to say. 😃

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I'm really going to need you to explain how you see it is showing progress
The results aren’t there yet for sure. They are getting pressure at times while being under sized and being disruptive. I finally saw us blow up some screens and stop some check downs for short gains. We are pressing and taking away some easy gains that were there under previous DCs. If you normalize points per drive on defense I think we are better the two years under Thacker than the average under Roof.

The D did score more points than the offense yesterday. So there is that.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Nah Pal

I'm talking about "processing" & "Roster Mgmt" ala Nick Saban & Bama

With HST, Business, & Communications we have enough majors to be on ND's Level given the fact that 80 out of the Top100 Recruits in Georgia are Academic Qualifiers as FB Recruits for GT, in fact ND's 6-4 220 lb Safety from Marist was an Academic Qualifier that we missed out on, instead of the previous HC cultivating a relationship when he was a HS Soph, CGC had to try to overcome a late start after he was hired

We have too many Players on scholly doing the bare minimum to keep their scholly and all they care about is getting inside connections to get an interview for a cushy starting job (relative to other new Grads) when they Graduate

At some point all 85 Guys on scholly have to give a damn about winning, and not just what their "GTAA connections" can do for them

For example:

At Ohio State Urban Meyer used to cull the bottom 6 to 10 guys each offseason from the bottom of the Roster, you lose 15 to 20 Srs due to expired eligibility, that leaves 65 to 70 guys coming back, and then he'd process 10 in some yrs, 6 in other yrs based on how hard they were working at being great FB Players

GT refuses to do this, a message needs to be sent to our FB Team that GT FB & winning is the #1 things in your Life while you are at GT, and if you make Academics #1a you can still graduate with a great Education along the way

IMO I don't think this is the case with many GT FB Players, I think many are on "cruise control" just waiting for their GTAA Connections to get them some Interviews lined up

TStan & CGC has to send the message that GT FB better be the most important thing in your Life if you want to be here
nobody wants to say it but there is some truth in some of this right here

Why are you staring your opinion as fact? You have no idea how good our offense is going to be four years from now. Do you know how hard it is to start from Day 1 at QB as a true freshman?

Here’s some players who didn’t do it: Trevor Lawrence, Deshaun Watson, Tua, Justin Fields, Kyler Murray.

It’s difficult. Fortunately for those other teams they had solid upper class men QBs who were recruited to run their offense. We don’t have that luxury right now.
This is just my opinion, and Sims is just not getting it done. We need a better game manager and decision maker to sustain drives. IMHO, Sims is just not that guy, but I'm not sure if we even have that guy from what I've seen. However, we don't get to see anyone else out there until the game is already lost.