GT - ND postgame thread

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is just my opinion, and Sims is just not getting it done. We need a better game manager and decision maker to sustain drives. IMHO, Sims is just not that guy, but I'm not sure if we even have that guy from what I've seen. However, we don't get to see anyone else out there until the game is already lost.

We *might* win with Sims. He gives us a puncher's chance.

We *won't* win with a game manager. We're too deficient in too many areas to win without a QB making some plays.

TheWhiteKenyan

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly thought we played rather well. We were the first team in 3 weeks to score a TD on Notre Dame and we had two. The only bad part of this game was our kicking. What in the world is going on there. That was the worst field goal attempt i've ever seen and we are now 1/6 on the season for attempts.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I honestly thought we played rather well. We were the first team in 3 weeks to score a TD on Notre Dame and we had two. The only bad part of this game was our kicking. What in the world is going on there. That was the worst field goal attempt i've ever seen and we are now 1/6 on the season for attempts.
We haven’t been right in the kicking game since Butker went pro.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Defense played better this game, but considering other teams have been setting records against us the last few games, that's not really saying much. Not much we can do about the DL...it is, what it is. We've lost Lee, Martin, and Chimedza, all 300 pounders that we could have used. I love Djimon Brooks, and I think his nastiness is something a LOT of our players on both sides can use, but it's an issue when a when a walk on is starting on our DL.

I mentioned it during the in game chat, but Notre Dame is a great example of what speed at the LB position will do for you on defense. Their LBs could cut off angles of our RBs, and they were wrecking our pass protection and getting into the backfield. We actually have a good solution to our LB problems, but I'm not sure our staff is willing to go there, and it's probably too late since we're in the middle of the season: Move Juanyeh and Tariq to LB. I've been saying it for years now...both have the size/speed/athleticism to be upper echelon LBs with NFL futures. Tariq in particular could probably fit right in at LB physically right now at 240 lbs, and he sure as heck moves around and hits like an elite LB. That was a move you make in the offseason, so it's not realistic now.

A lot of you give Curry a bunch of crap, but he's making the correct reads and busting his a$$...he's just so physically limited for this level of football. There was a play in the second half where the QB rolled out and Curry had to make the decision to go after the QB or stay on his man in coverage. Curry slow played the read up until the QB was about to cross the LOS and Curry left his man in coverage and made the play. That was a really difficult play because it was essentially 2v1, and Curry made it. Plays where Curry can use his knowledge as opposed to relying on his athleticism he'll excel at...unfortunately, football is a LOT of natural athletic talent you're pitted against. Curry would have been a great fullback back in the Chan Gailey era.

I think the staff is recruiting the right size guys on the OL and DL...and they are recruiting guys they can "build" to the players we need. However, that's going to take 2-3 years for them to physically develop. That's going to be the GT model outside of hitting on guys like Darryl Richards/Derrick Morgan types who can walk in on Day 1 and be a plus player. I actually think we're getting guys right now at DE that will be NFL picks in the future, they just need time to develop. Our DE group is going to be really good soon...the DT group is going to take time.

What's hurting us the most is if you're having problems on the DL AND at LB...well, I'm not sure how you smoke and mirror those problems. That's your front 7, and if your front seven is just not up to par, you are in a LOT of trouble. Right now, GT is in a LOT of trouble with our front seven personnel.

Right now, any team that has upper echelon level talent on the OL and DL is going to be tough to play against. ND is certainly in that category, and I don't even think ND is as good as Boston College.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This is just my opinion, and Sims is just not getting it done. We need a better game manager and decision maker to sustain drives. IMHO, Sims is just not that guy, but I'm not sure if we even have that guy from what I've seen. However, we don't get to see anyone else out there until the game is already lost.
This should tell you something or give you a clue about what the coaches are seeing in practice. It tells me that Sims is far and away our best QB and that they want to get him as many reps as possible No matter the game situation and also that they couldn’t care less if the other guys transfer out...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
JI said giving up 31 points to the #4 team in the country is not bad. Not sure how you come away with saying that’s beating our chests. Weird.
Other’s were saying it was good. You responded to me, responding to them. I assumed you understood the context of my post.
As to 31 points, I’m really done pointing out to you how bad points per game is as a metric. If you want to continue to believe it’s a valuable metric I’ll leave you to it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
You may want to look at Wesley Wells stats in 2018.
I like Wells. He was a gamer. I think (from memory) he was overlooked in early 2018 before winning the spot on the field. Not sure when happened to him in 19.

I am just saying that we haven’t really had a great kicking game since Butter. It has been inconsistent (as a whole) since.

Deleted member 2897

Other’s were saying it was good. You responded to me, responding to them. I assumed you understood the context of my post.
As to 31 points, I’m really done pointing out to you how bad points per game is as a metric. If you want to continue to believe it’s a valuable metric I’ll leave you to it.

So you’re not misconstruing what I said but you are. I think we’re on the same page now despite not being so.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Advanced Box Score

Not really any positives. Rushing got better in the second half, and that’s about it. Gibbs continues to be our best player. Will be great to see him behind an improved line in a couple years.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Alright, I watched the entire Notre Dame game.... As for the game specifically, it was a snoozer. ND stayed vanilla and just got out of there without risk or doing much..

Beyond that, came to some realizations about the rebuild. Many of you know my thoughts about the hire... I thought they should have went with Monken and we've talked about that a lot.

Here is the reality though.... You can only add so much to the rebuild at a time in a recruiting class. Georgia Tech has specific challenges to that due to academics. The team is so young and they have to exclusively rely on freshman and sophs for it.

The elements of a team aren't that difficult. In looking at offense, you have:

1. Quarterback
  2. Running Back
  3. Wide Receivers
  4. Offensive Line
  5. Tight End
  6. Depth

• Jeff Sims is the right QB.. He's a freshman. He's going to be good for the next 3 years. He's 6'3'' 215, a great athlete, has a great arm. He just needs experience and pieces around him.
  • Jahmyr Gibbs is the right RB... He's a freshman. Highest rated player to come to Tech in a long time. He's legit.
  • Wide Receivers.... need upgrades here for this system
  • Offensive line... need upgrades here
  • Depth.... need upgrades and experience

That's where we are, high level.... Gonna be a process.

It could be faster if junior college talent was an option, but it isn't. So its going to take years. The ACC recruits fewer junior college players than any other P5 league, and several teams don't recruit them at all.

Couple of examples below..... Georgia Tech can't take advantage of a big piece of recruiting. For lots of other programs, they can take older players who can plug right in and do what freshman can rarely do. In 2-3 recruiting classes if you get guys like Jeff Sims, Jahmyr Gibbs, and for the most part the same recruits but bring in some older players who can bring quick results right away, the turn-around would be significantly faster. If it was some other program making the transition that Georgia Tech is making, you'd likely see a heavy focus on guys who can plug into the two-deep right away because they are good enough to, not because you have no other option.

• Ole Miss brings in a juco linebacker (Lakia Henry) who immediately gets plugged in and has 90 tackles in his first D1 season last year.
  • Oklahoma brings in a juco running back (Stevenson) who could start pretty much anywhere and runs for 600 yards as a backup in his first year in the program.
  • Penn State brings in a 6'2'' juco safety (Jaquan Brisker) who starts right away and was All Big 10 3rd team in his first year.
  • Georgia brings in a juco corner (DJ Daniel) who starts right off the bat for one of the best defenses in the country
  • TCU brings in 6'8'' 330 offensive lineman (Anthony McKinney) from junior college and he starts two full seasons and now plays in the NFL
  • Syracuse brought in a middle linebacker (Lakiem Williams) who plugs in right away and is all ACC with 110 tackles, nearly 10 tackles a game.
Big 12 teams and others around the country fill holes, plug gaps, build depth, etc with jucos every year. Without that capability, you are going to have to watch guys like Jeff Sims and EVERY player around him grow and struggle through the process.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Wells. He was a gamer. I think (from memory) he was overlooked in early 2018 before winning the spot on the field. Not sure when happened to him in 19.

I am just saying that we haven’t really had a great kicking game since Butter. It has been inconsistent (as a whole) since.
Wells was perfect in his attempt. You can’t get more consistent than that.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Wells was perfect in his attempt. You can’t get more consistent than that.
I am referring to the group as a whole not just the kicker. I was using Butker as time/group reference.

As you stated Wells was very good for us.

Deleted member 2897

For anybody who has time, I encourage you to rewatch the game and isolate your focus on a particular player on defense. That is a position where you can’t afford to have that type of play. It felt like 90% of the time, he ends up mixed up in the wash of the line instead of seeing the play from space and then attacking.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Not making excuses, maybe I am, for the kicker, but the snap was very high. Harvin did a good job bring it down, but the rhythm was thrown off. Was Harvin the holder in 2018?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Alright, I watched the entire Notre Dame game.... As for the game specifically, it was a snoozer. ND stayed vanilla and just got out of there without risk or doing much..

Beyond that, came to some realizations about the rebuild. Many of you know my thoughts about the hire... I thought they should have went with Monken and we've talked about that a lot.

Here is the reality though.... You can only add so much to the rebuild at a time in a recruiting class. Georgia Tech has specific challenges to that due to academics. The team is so young and they have to exclusively rely on freshman and sophs for it.

The elements of a team aren't that difficult. In looking at offense, you have:

1. Quarterback
  2. Running Back
  3. Wide Receivers
  4. Offensive Line
  5. Tight End
  6. Depth

• Jeff Sims is the right QB.. He's a freshman. He's going to be good for the next 3 years. He's 6'3'' 215, a great athlete, has a great arm. He just needs experience and pieces around him.
  • Jahmyr Gibbs is the right RB... He's a freshman. Highest rated player to come to Tech in a long time. He's legit.
  • Wide Receivers.... need upgrades here for this system
  • Offensive line... need upgrades here
  • Depth.... need upgrades and experience

That's where we are, high level.... Gonna be a process.

It could be faster if junior college talent was an option, but it isn't. So its going to take years. The ACC recruits fewer junior college players than any other P5 league, and several teams don't recruit them at all.

Couple of examples below..... Georgia Tech can't take advantage of a big piece of recruiting. For lots of other programs, they can take older players who can plug right in and do what freshman can rarely do. In 2-3 recruiting classes if you get guys like Jeff Sims, Jahmyr Gibbs, and for the most part the same recruits but bring in some older players who can bring quick results right away, the turn-around would be significantly faster. If it was some other program making the transition that Georgia Tech is making, you'd likely see a heavy focus on guys who can plug into the two-deep right away because they are good enough to, not because you have no other option.

• Ole Miss brings in a juco linebacker (Lakia Henry) who immediately gets plugged in and has 90 tackles in his first D1 season last year.
  • Oklahoma brings in a juco running back (Stevenson) who could start pretty much anywhere and runs for 600 yards as a backup in his first year in the program.
  • Penn State brings in a 6'2'' juco safety (Jaquan Brisker) who starts right away and was All Big 10 3rd team in his first year.
  • Georgia brings in a juco corner (DJ Daniel) who starts right off the bat for one of the best defenses in the country
  • TCU brings in 6'8'' 330 offensive lineman (Anthony McKinney) from junior college and he starts two full seasons and now plays in the NFL
  • Syracuse brought in a middle linebacker (Lakiem Williams) who plugs in right away and is all ACC with 110 tackles, nearly 10 tackles a game.
Big 12 teams and others around the country fill holes, plug gaps, build depth, etc with jucos every year. Without that capability, you are going to have to watch guys like Jeff Sims and EVERY player around him grow and struggle through the process.

I agree with much of this. Would be nice if we could get JUCOs. We do quite well with transfers, though.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Gibbs continues to be our best player. Will be great to see him behind an improved line in a couple years.
This is one of my heartaches with this staff. Gibbs is a good player and he’s likely to have an outstanding career on the Flats, but he’s not even our best RB. If I was Mason, I’d be pissed. We don’t even use him in situations it’s clear to damn near everyone he’s the best option. In fact sometimes Gibbs is the 3rd best option and we still leave him in.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This is one of my heartaches with this staff. Gibbs is a good player and he’s likely to have an outstanding career on the Flats, but he’s not even our best RB. If I was Mason, I’d be pissed. We don’t even use him in situations it’s clear to damn near everyone he’s the best option. In fact sometimes Gibbs is the 3rd best option and we still leave him in.
I’m a huge Mason fan and would love to see two back sets that get them both on the field together. Gibbs is just a special athlete, though and allows more flexibility with his ability to receive as well. We are not short RB talent at all.