GT Hoops General Topics

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fascinating article. Combined with the other article about finances at GT, leaves me in a big funk this AM. Reality sucks.
The optimistic scenario is we get waivers and this year's team is pretty good (I think it will be) and we find a bell cow recruit that breaks the damn for HS recruiting. Think I will stick with that thought for today to keep a smile on my face.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Was wondering if we would make the cut for this. Great read and sobering truth.
I’ve always felt like Metcalfs comment. “Georgia Tech is the DePaul of the south”
It’s mind blowing we’ve had 1 winning record in the ACC since 96.....

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Fascinating article. Combined with the other article about finances at GT, leaves me in a big funk this AM. Reality sucks.
The optimistic scenario is we get waivers and this year's team is pretty good (I think it will be) and we find a bell cow recruit that breaks the damn for HS recruiting. Think I will stick with that thought for today to keep a smile on my face.
I think we can make the tournament this year but can we get a W once there? Can we get back next year??? I hope JP can pull it all together but I really don’t see him being the long term solution here. Hope I’m wrong.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don't even need the W in the tournament. Just being there and getting to experience the hype from Sunday night to Thursday morning would be a treat enough and raise the profile a bit.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Was wondering if we would make the cut for this. Great read and sobering truth.
I’ve always felt like Metcalfs comment. “Georgia Tech is the DePaul of the south”
It’s mind blowing we’ve had 1 winning record in the ACC since 96.....

The "one winning record" thing is serious cherry-picking. Hewitt was 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 in 8 of his 11 seasons. I am not trying to say that is great but it is a much more accurate picture of his era. GT was a .500 team in conference +/- 1 in most of his seasons.

Gregory was at that level once (8-10). Pastner has been once (8-10). I expect Pastner to be around or even above .500 this year.

It has made me sad recently to see GT fans try to talk down the Cremins era. GT was a legitimate national contender from '85-'96. I am glad this article came out to remind people of that.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This program desperately needs the buzz of winning enough to get to the bubble and then be in the bubble discussion. For recruiting, tickets and just feeling good about itself. Winning a game in the tourney is gravy. Happy to take it but we need the ride first.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The "one winning record" thing is serious cherry-picking. Hewitt was 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 in 8 of his 11 seasons. I am not trying to say that is great but it is a much more accurate picture of his era. GT was a .500 team in conference +/- 1 in most of his seasons.

Gregory was at that level once (8-10). Pastner has been once (8-10). I expect Pastner to be around or even above .500 this year.

It has made me sad recently to see GT fans try to talk down the Cremins era. GT was a legitimate national contender from '85-'96. I am glad this article came out to remind people of that.

While expansion has brought in some really good programs to the ACC (Syracuse, LV, etc.), it is hard to quantify the absolute meat grinder that the ACC was during Cremins' time. Outside of maybe Clemson there really wasn't a bottom dweller program - and even Clemson wasn't really bad. Hall of Fame coaches everywhere you looked. Even more than now. Anyone talking down Cremins doesn't understand that - and doesn't understand how bad things were when he got here.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

This was a much needed piece on Tech hoops.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
While expansion has brought in some really good programs to the ACC (Syracuse, LV, etc.), it is hard to quantify the absolute meat grinder that the ACC was during Cremins' time. Outside of maybe Clemson there really wasn't a bottom dweller program - and even Clemson wasn't really bad. Hall of Fame coaches everywhere you looked. Even more than now. Anyone talking down Cremins doesn't understand that - and doesn't understand how bad things were when he got here.

The ACC was really tough during Hewitt's first 5 years also. 2004 was nuts.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
We know our program is lagging, but a look in the mirror from unbiased sources can be taken one of two ways: 1). Acceptance or 2). Light a fire. Either we make the decision to continue to be ho-hum; or WE (the fans) demand action, not just with our words on some random forum, but with our wallets. We don't like the direction of a program, we let the administration know with the funds to do something about it. (I think it worked out well for Memphis)

I've said before, I fully believe that ADTS is going to give CJP this year and next, and IF there are no improvements, if he's not fully bought in and using #404 etc, ADTS will surely fire him. Your nuts are out and the bandsaw is on, what you gonna do CJP?

NorthsideJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Been reading on another site of 'rumors'/'rumblings' that Parham will not be getting his waiver. Was just curious if you GT bball savants have been hearing anything similar that you feel is legit? Really feel this decision is a MAJOR tipping point for how this upcoming season will turn out. Just wanted to get read of y'alls gut feeling or what you may be hearing.

I really enjoy lurking here for the best GT bball talk on the web and appreciate all of your insights. My graduating quarter was Lethal Weapon 3 FF run. Really is disheartening knowing that the latest generation of GT fans have no idea how BIG of a DEAL GT basketball was during that time.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Been reading on another site of 'rumors'/'rumblings' that Parham will not be getting his waiver. Was just curious if you GT bball savants have been hearing anything similar that you feel is legit? Really feel this decision is a MAJOR tipping point for how this upcoming season will turn out. Just wanted to get read of y'alls gut feeling or what you may be hearing.

This is the kind of "rumor" that pops up on fan sites because people want stir the pot. First, the NCAA does not leak out their leanings or thoughts about decisions. I have been following NCAA sports for a very long time and have never heard of leaks. I think him getting a waiver was always a stretch, but I do not have any reason to think the answer to that question is any different now than it was in April.

Second, while Parham getting a waiver grant would certainly help us, he is not the key to our season. If Parham has to sit, the chances are Price will not redshirt. But even that could depend on Phillips finding some piece of the game he had at Tennessee. It would be nice to have a fourth guard to go with Jose, DeVoe, and Usher. Especially if Usher slides to the 3 more.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I really enjoy lurking here for the best GT bball talk on the web and appreciate all of your insights. My graduating quarter was Lethal Weapon 3 FF run. Really is disheartening knowing that the latest generation of GT fans have no idea how BIG of a DEAL GT basketball was during that time.

Is this from The Hive Sports Center? I haven't seen this anywhere else.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
yes, that's the only place i've seen "inside info" about this; just looking to hear from what i would consider more 'inside' source.

Fwiw, I subscribe to both paywall sites and haven't seen this mentioned behind either paywall.

Doesn't mean Parham will get cleared, but the insiders have no report right now.