GT Hoops General Topics

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Will it get him banned if I ask 'which podcast'?

Hey Peac, which podcast would that be?

:smuggrin:

giphy.gif

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Does anybody know what we do in the offseason workout-wise?

I heard an interview of TxTech coach Beard and he was talking about how/why he's been able to be successful/win. The thing that caught my attention was him saying that, in order for his players to get better, they have to do work away from the coaches. The coaches only get what 20 hours a week. Improvement happens outside that timeframe, per Beard.

Well, here's the problem. All work is not created equal. There are a lot of players who do "work" in the gym but most players are just doing what amounts to empty calories.

Simply putting up 1,000 shots is dumb as heyul. If your workout includes 500 shots, 1,000 shots or w/e, that means you're wasting your time. A proper workout is 'game shots'. If you're doing 1,000 shots at or near game-level intensity your heart should explode.

Does anybody have any perspective on what types of workouts our guys do on their own?

Seriously. Our shooting overall really hasn't improved and it's not just because our guys aren't "born" shooters.

Just some musings which, surprisingly for me, have nothing to do with anyone on the hotseat. Progress?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I heard an interview of TxTech coach Beard and he was talking about how/why he's been able to be successful/win. The thing that caught my attention was him saying that, in order for his players to get better, they have to do work away from the coaches. The coaches only get what 20 hours a week. Improvement happens outside that timeframe, per Beard.

Well, here's the problem. All work is not created equal. There are a lot of players who do "work" in the gym but most players are just doing what amounts to empty calories.

Simply putting up 1,000 shots is dumb as heyul. If your workout includes 500 shots, 1,000 shots or w/e, that means you're wasting your time. A proper workout is 'game shots'. If you're doing 1,000 shots at or near game-level intensity your heart should explode.

Does anybody have any perspective on what types of workouts our guys do on their own?

Seriously. Our shooting overall really hasn't improved and it's not just because our guys aren't "born" shooters.

Just some musings which, surprisingly for me, have nothing to do with anyone on the hotseat. Progress?

If progress amounts to a low key questioning of our players' dedication to getting better, then yes?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If progress amounts to a low key questioning of our players' dedication to getting better, then yes?

No. All work is not created equal. I'm sure they're working. I'm not sure they're working effectively.

There's guys in the NBA that do the same thing. That's why I asked the question(s).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No. All work is not created equal. I'm sure they're working. I'm not sure they're working effectively.

There's guys in the NBA that do the same thing. That's why I asked the question(s).

To be fair, my response was solely for the purpose of being inflammatory and grinding your gears.

We know Banks is working with Rev.

Jose is working with local trainers that work with Brandon Boston, per his IG story.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow

How do you know someone is working effectively? Winning? I think it’s the intangibles that makes the difference. Has Pastner looked at how effective his shirt selection has been? Must be the shirt or is it the shoes? That’s why they are losing. Maybe it just GT we haven’t recruited any good shooters since A Mo, but obviously Hewitt was ineffective.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

@kg01 you may be onto something. I’m sure they have an array of workouts/drills to simulate game speed, but I’ve also heard a lot of talk about the NOAH system.

When I visualize our guys putting up shots with NOAH, I do get the impression that it is more focused on form (arc/release) than intensity. Those legs feel a lot different in game than being in the gym by yourself or even practice.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
@kg01 you may be onto something. I’m sure they have an array of workouts/drills to simulate game speed, but I’ve also heard a lot of talk about the NOAH system.

When I visualize our guys putting up shots with NOAH, I do get the impression that it is more focused on form (arc/release) than intensity. Those legs feel a lot different in game than being in the gym by yourself or even practice.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before but when I went to Unc/Stanford last season I was watching Cam Johnson warm up and he warmed up with a guy going 100% on defense up on him and all he did was dribble move pull up over this kid for a contested triple. And he was drilling them. I remember thinking that’s the way everyone should warm up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Eggsactly my point.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before but when I went to Unc/Stanford last season I was watching Cam Johnson warm up and he warmed up with a guy going 100% on defense up on him and all he did was dribble move pull up over this kid for a contested triple. And he was drilling them. I remember thinking that’s the way everyone should warm up.

really-good-point.gif

Mhmm, tell us more about me being right.

Intensity level matters when working on shooting. I'm curious to know what we're doing.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good stuff by one of our own, who by the way has begun to blow up recently! If you’re not following him already, you should!

Nice job, sir! I’ve enjoyed the content. That said, it wouldn’t be a day that ended in Y if I didn’t at least challenge something. All kidding aside, it’s on the $$ and I agree with most everything. Just two items I might disagree with:

1. Lead Guard - I agree that Jose (love the JYD tag) is the heart and soul of our team, and he provides all our toughness, but I feel like Mike D is going to be the lead guard with Jose playing off the ball. You mentioned last year, and from my vantage point, they really seemed to settle into those roles down the stretch. They’re pretty interchangeable, so who knows, but we do need MD to score more. What will be really interesting is who gets the starting nod if Bubba gets a waiver!

2. Starting 4 - Based on what I’ve heard, it’s Didenko all the way...haha, I couldn’t resist. In all seriousness, the line about Jordan getting the nod over Moses if he was to get his waiver is what jumped out at me - I’m not so sure. I’ve got nothing to base this on other than his role at USC, but I think he’s the prototypical 6th man due the energy he brings. He’s perfect for injecting energy and giving a boost to the offense. If he is eligible day 1, he could start at the SF spot in place of Khalid.

Again, just my two cents, but I think we’re on the same page.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff by one of our own, who by the way has begun to blow up recently! If you’re not following him already, you should!

Nice job, sir! I’ve enjoyed the content. That said, it wouldn’t be a day that ended in Y if I didn’t at least challenge something. All kidding aside, it’s on the $$ and I agree with most everything. Just two items I might disagree with:

1. Lead Guard - I agree that Jose (love the JYD tag) is the heart and soul of our team, and he provides all our toughness, but I feel like Mike D is going to be the lead guard with Jose playing off the ball. You mentioned last year, and from my vantage point, they really seemed to settle into those roles down the stretch. They’re pretty interchangeable, so who knows, but we do need MD to score more. What will be really interesting is who gets the starting nod if Bubba gets a waiver!

2. Starting 4 - Based on what I’ve heard, it’s Didenko all the way...haha, I couldn’t resist. In all seriousness, the line about Jordan getting the nod over Moses if he was to get his waiver is what jumped out at me - I’m not so sure. I’ve got nothing to base this on other than his role at USC, but I think he’s the prototypical 6th man due the energy he brings. He’s perfect for injecting energy and giving a boost to the offense. If he is eligible day 1, he could start at the SF spot in place of Khalid.

Again, just my two cents, but I think we’re on the same page.

I appreciate those kind words man. Yeah the biggest reason I would bring Moses to the pine in favor of Usher is a) Usher can stretch the floor more effectively and I think that is what the staff ultimately wants to do and b) provide some protection for Banks who seemed to get into foul trouble quite frequently during the back half of ACC play.

Now, there is certainly nothing saying that Moses can't play the four and just slide to the five when/if Banks finds himself in that foul trouble when Usher comes off the bench. But, I just see Usher as that athletic hybrid forward similar to what Ish was, that gives us a few more options on the floor.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck

Great read. I'd like to add that I think Sjolund's development this offseason is the most important of anyone on the roster. If he becomes a better defender and a better rebound ( all of which should result from the summer S&C) he could be the ideal 6th man I'd want to see.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I haven't really felt it from our fans, but I'm really excited about the prospect that Moses could be a legit 12pts/8reb a night guy for us. That's almost a double/double. He also almost averaged 2 blocks a game during the final stretch. That 6 game stretch to end the season (as @Peacone36 points out in his write up) has to get you excited about his trajectory and potential. He's not the defensive presence in the post Banks is, but I think he's more athletic, and he offers us a candidate to have a legit presence to spell Banks. He's still inconsistent, but he's young, and he was the definition of a project when we signed him. He still averaged about 7pts/4rebs even if we don't isolate the last 6 games. That's not bad for a 2nd year "project" player in the ACC.