GT Hoops General Topics

slugboy

Staff member
I appreciate those kind words man. Yeah the biggest reason I would bring Moses to the pine in favor of Usher is a) Usher can stretch the floor more effectively and I think that is what the staff ultimately wants to do and b) provide some protection for Banks who seemed to get into foul trouble quite frequently during the back half of ACC play.

Now, there is certainly nothing saying that Moses can't play the four and just slide to the five when/if Banks finds himself in that foul trouble when Usher comes off the bench. But, I just see Usher as that athletic hybrid forward similar to what Ish was, that gives us a few more options on the floor.

If Usher plays similar to Ish, I’ll be very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yea - I was trying to sort through "stretch the floor" and "similar to Ish" in the same thought but figured I would just let it hang out there. But I do agree that Usher fits a 4 out system better than Moses if CJP is hanging on to that. With Moses we need to look like UVA. But in reality we are a total question mark at the 3 and 4 spot - both players and systems. Usher, Moses and Khalid all are still open questions. Reasons for optimism with all of them but nothing "guaranteed" at this point.

BTW - if Usher can play like the good knees version of Ish AND shoot 3's we are going to lose him after this upcoming year as a lottery pick. How's that for optimism :D

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People will learn quickly about Usher. I’m sure he will posterize someone this year. He’s definitely a high-flyer. I’d bet willing to bet that he quickly becomes a fan favorite.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not sure where to put this, because it is not really about GT Basketball. It does demonstrate what we have to compete with in recruiting. Think about trying to attend classes at GT and not being able to communicate in English.

From a friend:

"Issa Thiam was born and raised in Dakar, Senegal and wound up as a basketball player at Rutgers University. Back in March of this year, he was arrested and charged with a variety of crimes involving an assault on a woman, one of which involved a knife and a threat to kill the woman with said knife. Even while law enforcement officials were investigating and processing this matter, Rutgers opted to dismiss Thiam from the team. Last year, appearing in 25 games, Thiam averaged 3.8 points per game and 2.3 rebounds per game; we are not talking about the school dismissing a lottery pick caliber player here.

"There is nothing particularly unusual about this matter so far – unless you consider the original alleged activities that got the police involved in the first place. However, about a week ago, things got curious. Thiam appeared in court with a plea deal that would obviate any jail time for him; the details of that agreement are not important here. The judge in the case refused to accept the plea agreement after questioning Thiam and the judge ruled that Thiam could not adequately participate in his defense because he could not adequately communicate in English. [Aside: Dakar, Senegal in in Francophone West Africa and Thiam’s native language is Wolof.]

"The case was held over until the end of the month when the plea deal will be reviewed again with a certified Wolof interpreter present in the court. Sounds like a victory for Lady Justice, right? Here is the question, though:

• Thiam was a junior at Rutgers when the alleged assault occurred. How did he achieve junior class status as a student-athlete if he cannot adequately communicate in English?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
  • Thiam was a junior at Rutgers when the alleged assault occurred. How did he achieve junior class status as a student-athlete if he cannot adequately communicate in English?

Is it any harder to believe than being able to attain professor status without being able to adequately communicate in English?

I'm only half joking.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is it any harder to believe than being able to attain professor status without being able to adequately communicate in English?

I'm only half joking.

I'm not. I still have nightmares about the def bods professor just in from Greece to do a research project who opened the book at the start of class and started to read in very broken Greco pseudo English. I couldn't drop and graduate "on plan" so I had to go teach myself the course. Almost 40 years after the fact I still remember that one. And it wasn't the only one.

Specific to that kid, I don't know the general requirements at Rutgers for english, math, science, etc., but I expect he had to take at least some of these which would be in english. Guess the athletic department paid for a certified translator for class and practice and .... . :rolleyes: But I also expect he didn't have to speak much english in his major of Africana Studies (actual major - looked it up). Bet they made exceptions for him to do it in french or any African dialect. End of the day, I saw overseas kids (mostly asian or middle east) come to Tech back in the dark ages - and some of them really struggled with the language but by JR year were "competent". I don't get why/how this kid isn't if he was participating in classes at all for 3 years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm not. I still have nightmares about the def bods professor just in from Greece to do a research project who opened the book at the start of class and started to read in very broken Greco pseudo English. I couldn't drop and graduate "on plan" so I had to go teach myself the course. Almost 40 years after the fact I still remember that one. And it wasn't the only one.

Oh my, Dr. Kim for Chemistry was mine. I mean, he just .... he ... I don't know what he was speaking but it wasn't english. I knew nothing about high level chemistry so I had to .... no, I tried to teach myself.

Of course, when I got to lab my, fellow classmates were soooo gracious and understanding that they completely screwed me over and wouldn't help me at all because they thought I was trying to cheat (I guess).

To any of you who may happen upon this message from a struggling student who was working hard and was only looking for you to explain concepts (not do the work for me), I have message from the very bottom of my heart ...

ayf.gif

secs.gif

Seriously, sometimes I hate you f*king GT nerds.

*whew*

Been holdin' onto that for a while. I think I blacked out for a second. What day is it?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Oh my, Dr. Kim for Chemistry was mine. I mean, he just .... he ... I don't know what he was speaking but it wasn't english. I knew nothing about high level chemistry so I had to .... no, I tried to teach myself.

Mine was the 6th and final quarter of calculus (some of you other old farts will remember the quarter system, I’m sure.) The instructor was a grad student and a really nice guy, and I’m sure he was brilliant. But the course title was Differential Equations, and the first thing he said on the first day was “Welcome to diffy-cuse”, and it went downhill from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Mine was the 6th and final quarter of calculus (some of you other old farts will remember the quarter system, I’m sure.) The instructor was a grad student and a really nice guy, and I’m sure he was brilliant. But the course title was Differential Equations, and the first thing he said on the first day was “Welcome to diffy-cuse”, and it went downhill from there.

Haha, that's what them nerds called it. Diffy-q's. They probably all chuckle inside when they say it.

Me? I called it difficult equations.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Of course, when I got to lab my, fellow classmates were soooo gracious and understanding that they completely screwed me over and wouldn't help me at all because they thought I was trying to cheat (I guess).

To any of you who may happen upon this message from a struggling student who was working hard and was only looking for you to explain concepts (not do the work for me), I have message from the very bottom of my heart ...

ayf.gif

secs.gif

*whew*

Been holdin' onto that for a while. I think I blacked out for a second. What day is it?

Proof that some of us may have "gotten out" of GT, but GT never leaves anyone who has matriculated there...

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Haha, that's what them nerds called it. Diffy-q's. They probably all chuckle inside when they say it.

Me? I called it difficult equations.

Yep. And now imagine it pronounced with a Chinese accent

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

ayf.gif

secs.gif

*whew*

You cheater!!

Gtmamn61

Georgia Tech Fan
Aye, I still "got out". I guess the hate (for certain of my classmates) just didn't die within me.

i-will-find-you-and-i-will-kill-you-gif.gif

Don’t feel unique. I told a condescending physics lab grad assistant (out of earshot of the rest of the class of course) that I was going to beat his *** bloody if I ever saw him on campus.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Don’t feel unique. I told a condescending physics lab grad assistant (out of earshot of the rest of the class of course) that I was going to beat his *** bloody if I ever saw him on campus.
Interesting. In my freshman year someone threatened me. My reply was he would never be able to relax again if he touched me. You have to protect yourself.