GT Hoops General Topics

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
was watching the highlight video for Jose from last season.

Couple of thoughts.
He was a better finisher at the rim than Josh even though he was alot smaller. He really has a nose for finding little seams in the defense and getting close shots. Would love to see him add a floater similar to Trae Young.

His outside shooting improved alot as the season went on. The form is a little better later in the season and the release is noticeably quicker.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Here's this year's state-by-state thingy ...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-team-ranks-in-each-state-from-top-to-bottom/

Pretty biting but, eh, can't complain (much) about their assessment ... I'm sure @ChasonBaller will be pleased ...
Georgia
$
Georgia State

Not often that a mid-major has top dog status in the Peach State. Georgia State is the best team in no small part because Georgia State has the best player inside state borders: D'Marcus Simonds is a pro prospect coming off a season in which he averaged 21.2 points, 5.7 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.7 steals. Down in Athens, Tom Crean is rebuilding UGA.

If we do well this year, we'll be coming out of nowhere like 2 years ago. IOW, none of the eggsperts will see us coming but will be sure to hop on the wagon late.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Here's this year's state-by-state thingy ...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-team-ranks-in-each-state-from-top-to-bottom/

Pretty biting but, eh, can't complain (much) about their assessment ... I'm sure @ChasonBaller will be pleased ...

If we do well this year, we'll be coming out of nowhere like 2 years ago. IOW, none of the eggsperts will see us coming but will be sure to hop on the wagon late.
Georgia State is LOADED on the perimeter...the big men situation will determine the fate of a tournament run.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Tell them to come and get some....

I'm not sure what this means but I'm with you all the way?

Another interesting list ...

https://watchstadium.com/news/acc-c...-job-in-conference-unc-third-best-10-04-2018/

T7. Georgia Tech (56) – Paul Hewitt took the Yellow Jackets to the national title game in 2004, and both he and Bobby Cremins brought in no shortage of NBA players while they were coaching Tech. Since 1985, Georgia Tech has gone to the NCAA tourney 15 times, but the Yellow Jackets haven’t been since 2010.

Where they win: The city of Atlanta, which includes a strong recruiting base, as well as the history of NBA players and pros from all sports that have come through the program.

The knock: “The budget is towards the bottom of the ACC, and the academics make it difficult because there are a limited number of majors – so it’s a challenge to find kids who fit into the majors.” – Former ACC coach

Higher than I thought we'd be on a list like that but lower than where we should be imho.

ETA: I thought our facilities were better than average. Am I wrong?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what this means but I'm with you all the way?

Another interesting list ...

https://watchstadium.com/news/acc-c...-job-in-conference-unc-third-best-10-04-2018/

Higher than I thought we'd be on a list like that but lower than where we should be imho.

ETA: I thought our facilities were better than average. Am I wrong?

I also find it interesting how low we rank in media exposure. My gut reaction is to say that’s the AJC’s fault, but I see their definition means games on national television. I guess that’s a function of our recent lack of success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is there a new rule in basketball for redshirts? I saw in Ken's preview he said Sjolund is likely to redshirt. Just curious if he can play in a few games, as they do in football now, or if it's business as usual.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is there a new rule in basketball for redshirts? I saw in Ken's preview he said Sjolund is likely to redshirt. Just curious if he can play in a few games, as they do in football now, or if it's business as usual.

If Sjolund plays tonight, he won't be redshirted unless there's an injury.