GT Hoops General Topics

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I just say what I see man. I agree it wasn’t all bad but I don’t like pretending. We don’t change people’s minds from having us as the 14th or 15th team in the ACC to a top 25 squad because we beat UT. More likely it brings about questions about the Vols, not praise for the Jackets..

I don't think beating UT will have us ranked right away. I do think it could potentially have us ranked if we continue playing well going forward. UT looks to be our hardest OOC game by far. There are some other challanges but if we beat them it wouldn't surprise me if we had a hot streak to start the year. At some point I think being #-0 having beaten UT will have us ranked where #-1 having lost to them won't. Regardless, I think beating UT would have people wondering if perhaps a young team developed a year earlier than expected. It wouldn't be the first time.

Anyways, lets hope to cross that bridge when we get there.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That's just Paul's agent seeding stories. The GT gravy train is running out and he needs a new gig that pays more than an NBA scout. Can't live on chicken feed you know. :p ;)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is totally unrelated to anything going on right now but, do any of y'all remember Monte Morris? The guy we should've been targeting when we ended up with Solo.

Apparently his season totals right now for the Nuggets include 88 assists and only 11 turnovers. What's Solo up to these days.

This self-loathing moment was brought to you by Booze .. when you just can't get over it. (y)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is totally unrelated to anything going on right now but, do any of y'all remember Monte Morris? The guy we should've been targeting when we ended up with Solo.

Apparently his season totals right now for the Nuggets include 88 assists and only 11 turnovers. What's Solo up to these days.

This self-loathing moment was brought to you by Booze .. when you just can't get over it. (y)

Cue @RyanS12

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

What did we say? Or more accurately what did I say? We don’t talk about Auntie Orris. Ever. Not ever. He never existed. That never happened

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Some positive kg-takes ...

I like how Moses is developing.

I really like Devoe. I really, really like Moore. I feel we have a gem in him.
Personally I'm still not sure with Moses. Devoe is good and I get that their are more shooters on the team but can any of these guys really shoot on the move? Devoe's shot is more of a set shot, Haywood seems only able to shoot off the catch and beyond Alvarado and Devoe I'm not sure that any of these guys can hit the pull up. And the offense showing nothing that has any of these guys coming off screens for those type of shots off of movement reinforces it for me.
Moore should be good even though I'd love to have THT here right now even if he may only be a 2 year player with the distant chance that he's done after 1. Moore does seem willing to do whatever including being a small ball 4 and competing inside which I do like.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Some positive kg-takes ...

I like how Moses is developing.

I really like Devoe. I really, really like Moore. I feel we have a gem in him.
Me too I'm all in on a:
Devoe
Alvarado off ball
Haywood
Moore
Banks
starting 5 with Alston coming off the bench looking to score like he has been. Shembari has not been what I expected so far. Though, in his defense, he is a player that needs the ball in his hands to get started and our offense doesn't really allow that. Moses is starting to show some life and AD is same old AD. I will wait to comment on Evan until he is fully healthy but not the strongest start, though he is bringing his energy and hustle. Also, I am ready to unleash the Norwegian Nightmare. His defense is...well, I will be nice...really not good but his shooting and play making at the 4 could give us a big boost when we hit a dry spell. Kristian is not afraid to come in and make plays n' shoot. Thankfully we run mostly zone so we have a better chance at hiding him and the advantage of Banks behind him protecting the rim.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
My take:
Alvarado- a culture creator; great player for this program.
Devoe- silky smooth, and he will eventually need superior players who are one step ahead of play; he knows guys will be open before they’re open.
Moore - HUGE fan of him. He needs more time; i’m fine with FR mistakes. He’s active, great energy, can guard multiple spots, and his rotation on shot gives me every confidence that he will skyrocket if allowed more chances to score. He’s a solid shooter that is also crafty.
Haywood - his confidence seems to shatter if cold shooting. Concerned his growth will be flat.
Phillips - disappointed so far. He looks robotic on offense. Thought he’d slash more. CJP has to create opps for him to get him going, or he’s not going to score.
Alston- VERY surprising so far. When he stays within his skill set he is effective for us. More of his steady, strong. Don’t think he’ll win games for us, and thinking he won’t lose them either. Calming presence majority of time.
AD - will get his spots to be effective, but not organic production, has to be so scripted with drop downs that it feels stagnant.
Banks - could be a bigger force; hoping Reveno gets him to post with lower, stronger base in post prior to catch. He seems to stand tall, and D roots him out to far. He should be destroying in the post on at least 3 dunks a game.
Wright - Pleasant surprise with his reatraint to trust the sets, and his role. He contributes more than frustrates this year. Needs to shoot more accurately; his arc makes me believe he can shoot better.
Cole - sense he will have a high energy, nice stat game, then disappear for the next five games. I hope he finds a couple comfortable strengths; right now, it’s bits and pieces of everything.
Sjouland- I’m a fan of his potential to be that guy that drops a couple daggers a game. He needs 3-5 mins a game to let us try and spread floor - and play zone D - in hopes that he can find a rhythm. Do it now during pre-conference gauntlet.

Overall, we HAVE to play faster, with more freedom on O. Alvarado, Devoe, Moore, Phillips and Banks (if he runs floor) could flourish in that system. Then add Haywood, Alston and Sjouland getting trail 3s, or drive kick 3s and we will avoid being so robotic and stagnant. We could also lose by 20 with misses and turnovers, but the flows feels too restrained to me, with this talent.