GT Hoops General Topics

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
yeah but in the pre Bill Snyder KSU era so he still might not know what sports are if you know how bad Kansas State was ;)

Pre-Snyder K State football was much closer to GT football at that time than K State academics has ever been to GT academics. Yet President Peterson overcame that modest start to be who he is today.

We really need to drop the cliches. We should be smarter than that.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
He goes to the basketball games. He greets the students in the front row.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but he certainly does care about GT sports. He isn't Dr. Pettit.
He does a good job of appearing like he cares. Is the success of the the athletic department as a whole one of his top priorities? I highly doubt it, and I think you would be hard pressed to find proof otherwise.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
No horse. GTRI has a single contract that is more revenue per year than any college athletic department in the country makes. GT is a very big business. It should be obvious.
It's about more than revenue. It's about national brand, appeal, marketing, etc. I would imagine our athletics reach one of the largest audiences out of anything we do as an institute. And the, in this case national, perception of the university should absolutely be a priority for a President. Prioritized support for GTRI (and other academic-related initiatives) and university athletics are not and should not be mutually exclusive.

When you come out and make a statement like the one that he made that directly contradicts what your head coach is building toward and is just flat-out false, you come off as foolish and someone who is not in touch with your university's athletic programs.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
It's about more than revenue. It's about national brand, appeal, marketing, etc. I would imagine our athletics reach one of the largest audiences out of anything we do as an institute. And the, in this case national, perception of the university should absolutely be a priority for a President. Prioritized support for GTRI (and other academic-related initiatives) and university athletics are not and should not be mutually exclusive.

When you come out and make a statement like the one that he made that directly contradicts what your head coach is building toward and is just flat-out false, you come off as foolish and someone who is not in touch with your university's athletic programs.
Yeah but he greets the students in the front row!!

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but he greets the students in the front row!!

That can't be true. He doesn't know what sports are!

Somehow he is the Chair of the NCAA Board of Governors and on the Committee on Basketball. Those people better let him know what sports are or this could be bad.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Are you referring to statements that were made as a member of the Committee on College Basketball?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
That can't be true. He doesn't know what sports are!

Somehow he is the Chair of the NCAA Board of Governors and on the Committee on Basketball. Those people better let him know what sports are or this could be bad.
And somehow he still doesn't know squat about College basketball. Bud it's time to go to bed

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A few on here have mentioned GT's connection to Gottlieb. Pretty good read:

https://theathletic.com/236536/2018/02/12/gottlieb-the-mistakes-i-made-and-the-price-i-paid/

As I explored my options, I got excited about the prospect of playing for Georgia Tech. Bobby Cremins wanted me, and his program was known for churning out great point guards — Mark Price, Kenny Anderson and Stephon Marbury. I thought it was all but done until Cremins called and said he was getting pushback from his administration because of what I had done at Notre Dame. He pulled the offer. I was crushed.