GT Hoops General Topics

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Next stop, HallofFame
Sporting News: Stephon Marbury states his case for hall of fame as retirement nears in China
"My numbers are hall of fame. That's first," Marbury said. "You look at guys who have never won championships on the globe, they are in the hall of fame. Two, what I have done to help basketball globally to bridge the gap from America to China, with China being one of the main components on the Earth for basketball, that right there alone should bridge that gap.

"It's the Basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA Hall of Fame. So, for basketball, I played in Olympics, I played in the Junior Olympics. With what I've done and given to basketball is all hall of fame."

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Funny how he touts "I played in Olympics" but neglects he was part of the worst US Olympic hoop team in history, getting humiliated and bringing home the bronze. Their utter abject failure is the reason USAB completely overhauled the system and brought in Colangelo to right the ship. Marbury was never involved in the olympics after the disaster of '04

In terms of NBA stats:
13 years in the league, career limited by multiple injuries, 2 time All NBA, 2 time NBA All Star
Per game averages are really good. 19.3 ppg 7.6 apg 3.0 rpg 1.2 spg 2.5 A/TO
He stacks up pretty darn well in all time stats, too
25th all time in assists
101st all time in points
156th in all time steals

As a comparison, another player had similar career (16 years, unfortunate injuries, ROY, 5 time All NBA, 7 time NBA All Star) and is not in the HOF
91st in assists
91st in points
76th in steals
154 in rebounding

I don't know how they make the selections (it's a very secretive nomination process to get to be a finalist) but it seems they leave out some very deserving players and allow in some very suspect ones

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Funny how he touts "I played in Olympics" but neglects he was part of the worst US Olympic hoop team in history, getting humiliated and bringing home the bronze. Their utter abject failure is the reason USAB completely overhauled the system and brought in Colangelo to right the ship. Marbury was never involved in the olympics after the disaster of '04

In terms of NBA stats:
13 years in the league, career limited by multiple injuries, 2 time All NBA, 2 time NBA All Star
Per game averages are really good. 19.3 ppg 7.6 apg 3.0 rpg 1.2 spg 2.5 A/TO
He stacks up pretty darn well in all time stats, too
25th all time in assists
101st all time in points
156th in all time steals

As a comparison, another player had similar career (16 years, unfortunate injuries, ROY, 5 time All NBA, 7 time NBA All Star) and is not in the HOF
91st in assists
91st in points
76th in steals
154 in rebounding

I don't know how they make the selections (it's a very secretive nomination process to get to be a finalist) but it seems they leave out some very deserving players and allow in some very suspect ones

Oh contraire mon frère, this is an overly NBA-centric view of things. The HOF is absolutely not NBA-centric and, IMHO, typically tries to go counter to what NBA-centric minds want/think.

Any Olympic participation is typically seen as a major plus. Him obtaining a medal (any medal) is a huge deal w.r.t. HOF induction. The fact that it was a less successful NBA-led team matters little.

And furthermore :cigar:, his stats/success in the Chinese league will absolutely factor in positively. He's essentially their MJ which will carry a lot of weight when the time comes.

That that for data! {pounds table}

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh contraire mon frère, this is an overly NBA-centric view of things. The HOF is absolutely not NBA-centric and, IMHO, typically tries to go counter to what NBA-centric minds want/think.

Any Olympic participation is typically seen as a major plus. Him obtaining a medal (any medal) is a huge deal w.r.t. HOF induction. The fact that it was a less successful NBA-led team matters little.

And furthermore :cigar:, his stats/success in the Chinese league will absolutely factor in positively. He's essentially their MJ which will carry a lot of weight when the time comes.

That that for data! {pounds table}

I actually agree with this. Steph has been an impetus for driving basketball's popularity in China and, opposite, any knowledge we've really garnered about Chinese hoops has been driven by him. The "bridge building" he's legitimately created will matter and probably be the linchpin of him being in the HOF.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying he doesn't get in, but I think his Olympic contribution hurts rather than helps. Look at the roster. Does Carlos Boozer belong in the HOF? Emeka Okafor? Shawn Marion? Amare Stoudamire? Lamar Odom? Richard Jefferson? Yes, there were HOF guys on the roster (Bron Bron, D Wade, AI, Melo & Duncan), but I think the rest just showed that we couldn't just send some good NBA players and expect the gold.

Think about Boozer. Clearly not a HOFer IMO. Similar stats to Marbury. 17.3 ppg 10.1 rpg 2.5 apg 1.0 spg 0.5 bpg 2 time All Star

As for his Chinese stats, I think the HOF committee will discount / ignore them given the inferior level of competition

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not saying he doesn't get in, but I think his Olympic contribution hurts rather than helps. Look at the roster. Does Carlos Boozer belong in the HOF? Emeka Okafor? Shawn Marion? Amare Stoudamire? Lamar Odom? Richard Jefferson? Yes, there were HOF guys on the roster (Bron Bron, D Wade, AI, Melo & Duncan), but I think the rest just showed that we couldn't just send some good NBA players and expect the gold.

Think about Boozer. Clearly not a HOFer IMO. Similar stats to Marbury. 17.3 ppg 10.1 rpg 2.5 apg 1.0 spg 0.5 bpg 2 time All Star

As for his Chinese stats, I think the HOF committee will discount / ignore them given the inferior level of competition
It's not about his Chinese stats. It's about what he's done to raise the profile of basketball in China. That's important.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I'm sorry but you're wrong, Michael Strahan.

I'd encourage you to actually research the basketball (not NBA) hall of fame and see some of the folks who are in there.

Check something like Yao Ming's actual stats as a HOFer then come back and tell us off-court stuff doesn't matter.

Being a "contributor", according to their definition, matters more than raw stats or even wins.

ETA: The real disappointing thing in all of this is you're forcing @dtm1997 and I to agree on something. That's unforgivable, sir.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but you're wrong, Michael Strahan.

I'd encourage you to actually research the basketball (not NBA) hall of fame and see some of the folks who are in there.

Check something like Yao Ming's actual stats as a HOFer then come back and tell us off-court stuff doesn't matter.

Being a "contributor", according to their definition, matters more than raw stats or even wins.

ETA: The real disappointing thing in all of this is you're forcing @dtm1997 and I to agree on something. That's unforgivable, sir.

Forcing anyone to be in agreement with you ...

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Yao Ming did more to raise basketball interest and awareness and China in one day (drafted #1) than Marbury (or any American ex pat) could do in a lifetime.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yao Ming did more to raise basketball interest and awareness and China in one day (drafted #1) than Marbury (or any American ex pat) could do in a lifetime.
Yes. Yao did. It doesn't change the fact Marbury has been a transformational figure when it comes to Chinese basketball and it may ultimately earn him entry in to the Basketball Hall of Fame.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
No hate on this basketball program from me...(occasional criticism based on results notwithstanding). Looking so forward to next year!!

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure if anyone listened to the radio show last night, but Pastner had a little bit of a slip up that, if you really want to read into it, confirms what we've all thought about Justin Moore. Nothing breaking, but just interesting to hear it from the horse's mouth. It's at the 6:40 mark in the audio (quote below).

"In that freshman class, the initial class in 2016 when we got the job, the only guy remaining, really is - because we let go Romello White, who had originally signed with the previous staff; Christian Matthews who we previously signed, he was here and then transferred; Josh Okogie's here; and then we signed Justin Moore in the spring, who obviously, he's not playing - right now."