GT Hoops General Topics

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Plus they'll use it as a recruiting advantage. Phillips looks hella better than their old crappy arena. Look we play in a nba arena...nope show those recruits that old crappy arena where you mutts play & practice. Tech has an awesome showcase downtown Atlanta arena. We have no need to play at Phillips.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No just no. I like home & home. Phillips will just be home advantage to the dawgs.
I think it'll just be another empty arena until we improve.

The state-wide fandom for UGA Football is for just that. UGA Football. It doesn't really translate to UGA hoops.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think it'll just be another empty arena until we improve.

The state-wide fandom for UGA Football is for just that. UGA Football. It doesn't really translate to UGA hoops.

You ain't wrong. Still, if Rev. Fox wants it I'm against it so ...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If they want to hold their home game in Phillips, then let 'em. It's just that typically this idea comes up as a replacement for our home game which is ridiculous.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess i'm in the minority here. I'd be all for the game going back to being at a neutral site.
I was hugely disappointed with UGA forcing the game to home campuses (due largely to the fact they were losing the majority of the games at the Omni at the time).

Most of my fav memories of that rivalry are from th Omni. some are estatic, some are painful.

it would take a few years as GT in particular needs to build up its program, but having on a neutral court allows you to create more of an event atmosphere.

In the long run I actually think it would be a plus for both GT and UGA.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the driven episode on Fox. Nothing earth shattering him about it but it does paint Pastner and GT basketball in a great light. What was really interesting was to see Dennis Scott and other ex players singing Pastner's praises. Lot of comparisons to Cremins from them.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Snippet from the press release previewing NC A&T. Awesome stat.

Ten Yellow Jackets earned a grade-point average of 3.0 or better during the fall semester, and Tech’s cumulative fall GPA of 2.85 is the highest on record for the team. All four seniors are among the group with 3.0+ GPA’s, including Josh Heath, Corey Heyward (fifth-year because of an injury red-shirt in 2012-13), Rand Rowland and Quinton Stephens. Rowland graduated last Saturday, and the other three are scheduled to graduate in May.

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
Snippet from the press release previewing NC A&T. Awesome stat.

Ten Yellow Jackets earned a grade-point average of 3.0 or better during the fall semester, and Tech’s cumulative fall GPA of 2.85 is the highest on record for the team. All four seniors are among the group with 3.0+ GPA’s, including Josh Heath, Corey Heyward (fifth-year because of an injury red-shirt in 2012-13), Rand Rowland and Quinton Stephens. Rowland graduated last Saturday, and the other three are scheduled to graduate in May.

I think the academics part is one good thing CBG left behind from his time as coach.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The other side of that press release. The average PGA of the other third of the roster was 2.55 or less. Depending on how far above 3.0 some of the ten guys were, we have some kids very close to the 2.0 eligibility threshold. Given that we know four seniors were at or above 3.0, that men's 5 of 11 underclass men were below and some weee pretty far below

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of my tricks of the trade is leaving twitter searches running. You wade through a lot of garbage, but sometime find a jewel. One of the searches I leave open is a latest search for "pastner", to see if he shows up offering or at a game. The downside is a lot of salty Memphis fans. This tweet is among the recurring themes.

The irony here is that this year's GT squad has had the least overdribbling and most movement without the ball that I've seen in years. It's still a little early and I know we'll have our struggles maintaining that in league play, but I feel like we're seeing baby step evidence that Pastner has indeed learned from prior experiences/mistakes while at Memphis.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Cracks me up when airheads post something like that with the backdrop that a coach can NEVERRR evolve or improve with age and experience. We'll see what happens but that's funny either way.