GT Hoops General Topics

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we had kept Gregory we likely would have gotten Barry, but our coaching situation made him look elsewhere.

I'm ok with that. We were never going to get any forward momentum with Gregory as coach, at best we would be treading water as a mediocre team with no real NCAA shots.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I just watched some of the VPI - Duke game on DVR. Duke's transition D was non existent in that game. May be a golden opportunity for Okogie, Moore & Tadric to push the ball on misses (even after makes) to see if we can beat them down the floor for easy buckets

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how many are aware of the GT Basketball Report on TV. The majority of the show is a recap and preview of each week's games with CPast. There are also segments with former and current players.

Last Friday's included a Q&A with Derrick Favors. Thanks to @BobintheATL99 for the YouTube feed.

Also Under the Lights w/ Lammers at 14:45

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Don't worry Hammer, you will be back in San Antonio in a few years replacing Pau Gasol. Once you get drafted with the 28th pick

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: One word to describe Tech’s defense? Elite
Through Monday’s results, Tech was rated the ninth most efficient defense in the country by the metrics website KenPom at 90.8 points allowed per 100 possessions. Tech has not finished a season in the top 10 on defense by KenPom since the 2004-05 season, when the Paul Hewitt-coached Jackets ranked fifth.

Tech’s defensive prowess is particularly crucial because the Jackets score like an also-ran. The Jackets rank 253rd in offensive efficiency (99.8 points per 100 possessions), fourth lowest among power-conference schools. The 244-slot disparity between offense and defense is the widest of any power-conference school.
It’s not new territory for Pastner. Memphis ranked in the top 75 in defensive efficiency in each of his final six seasons and in the top 20 twice. Rather interestingly, Pastner devotes much less time to defense than he did at Memphis. At Memphis, he said, he spent 70 to 75 percent of practice time to defense. At Tech, because of the team’s offensive weaknesses, defense gets about 40 percent of practice time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting... based on the GPA post after first semester and all the comments online, I assumed Ben & Q would be All-academic as well
I suspect that it's really hard to maintain a 3.0 after your 1st or 2nd year at Tech, particularly playing basketball which spans both semesters.

There is an ACC Academic Honor Roll which requires maintaining a 3.0 for the full year. Heyward made it in 2012-2013, but not after that. MGH made it in 2013-2014, but not after that. Tadric made it in 2014-2015, but not last year.

I'm sure this is a function of the number of sports each school sponsors as well as academics, but last year GT had 165 S-A's on the Honor Roll, with the next lowest member being Miami at 189 and then Wake Forest at 201. UNC had 365.