GT Hoops General Topics

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That was before the chicks started coming.

IMG_0834.JPG

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dook will have a lot more than any other team. Grade inflation big time there. An A there is like a B or C other places.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
THE FLATS - Georgia Tech’s first-year head coach Josh Pastner has been named the John “Whack” Hyder Georgia College Coach of the Year by the Atlanta Tipoff Club, the organization announced Thursday.

Also honored by the Tipoff Club were Mercer junior Kahlia Lawrence and Georgia senior J.J. Frazier, who were named the 2017 Georgia College Basketball Players of the Year. Additionally, Columbus State’s Anita Howard was named the women’s college coach of the year. The winners were chosen by the Atlanta Tipoff Club’s board of selectors, which based its decisions on season-long performances.

It is the third coach-of-the-year honor for Pastner, who earned top honors from the Atlantic Coast Conference earlier this month and Wednesday was named District 2 Coach of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches. In his first year on the Flats, he has coached the Yellow Jackets to a 20-15 record and the final four of the National Invitation Tournament. He has won more games than any first-year coach in Tech history.

The coach of the year award is named for Whack Hyder, the Lula, Ga., native who piloted the Georgia Tech men’s basketball program from 1952-73, guided Tech to its first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 1960 and to the finals of the National Invitation Tournament in 1971. He coaches the Yellow Jackets’ first All-American, Roger Kaiser in 1960, and its all-time leading scorer, Rich Yunkus.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice interview with Pastner in AJC.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...ch-coach-josh-pastner/l1Zg7Uy0fVvtAAH9A2br0H/

Among the mentions.
Recruiting plan for 2017.
Need to sign a couple of guys that can help next year and sign 1 or 2 guys that will sit out or redshirt and be ready for 2018-2019.

Hasn't been approached about any other openings. Very few jobs are of a higher level than ACC and GT anyways.

2 fav games - road at VCU, senior night against Pitt.

Improvement plans
Okogie - left hand. continue to improve shooting. Know when to attack and when to decelerate.
Jackson - needs to be the biggest improvement on the team to move the needle next year (I actually agree with this. He is sort of the X guy. We need his last half of the seasons home performances both at home and road next year)

NCAA Expectations next year - Nobody wants to get there worse them him. But we just got our butts kicked by a B12 team. Have to get better, still a rebuild.

Fan expectations on making tourney - if the team comes up short and there are fans that are ticked off with him, that's a good thing. Wants the emotional investment in the team, not apathy.

gtuberfan

Ramblin' Wreck
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...ose-alvarado-and-more/wevkHx31xTKZFFASarXTjP/

Loving this series!

Mentions we had the highest GPA in GT basketball history in the fall.

regarding scheduling:
A: We’re getting there. We’re playing in China against UCLA. We’re playing at Georgia. We’re playing Tennessee at home. Tennessee at home, we have two more years with that team because that’s the previous staff’s schedule and the previous staff scheduled for us to play at Wofford. And we’ll be in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. And the rest we’ll fill in with buy games.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...ose-alvarado-and-more/wevkHx31xTKZFFASarXTjP/

Loving this series!

Mentions we had the highest GPA in GT basketball history in the fall.

regarding scheduling:
A: We’re getting there. We’re playing in China against UCLA. We’re playing at Georgia. We’re playing Tennessee at home. Tennessee at home, we have two more years with that team because that’s the previous staff’s schedule and the previous staff scheduled for us to play at Wofford. And we’ll be in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. And the rest we’ll fill in with buy games.

I thought BG was the only guy in the country who graduated players?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Who did he actually graduate though?
2011-12 Pierre Jordan, Nick Foreman, Derek Craig all graduated. Two other players transferred and one was dismissed.
2012-13 I think Mfon Udofia graduated. He was the only senior on that team. Julian Royal and the Poole brothers were on this team.
2013-14 Jason Morris, Daniel Miller, Kam Holsey, Stacey Poole all graduated. Trae Golden did not graduate. Solomon Poole was dismissed.
2014-15 Demarco Cox, Aaron Peak graduated. Five players left the team for various reasons.
2015-16 MGH graduated. I am not sure about Charles Mitchell or Nick Jacobs. Ramblinwreck.com does not show them as graduating.

Since BG also had a few GTs, this is not really bad. He is responsible for several this year's grads, so his record is really very good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
2011-12 Pierre Jordan, Nick Foreman, Derek Craig all graduated. Two other players transferred and one was dismissed.
2012-13 I think Mfon Udofia graduated. He was the only senior on that team. Julian Royal and the Poole brothers were on this team.
2013-14 Jason Morris, Daniel Miller, Kam Holsey, Stacey Poole all graduated. Trae Golden did not graduate. Solomon Poole was dismissed.
2014-15 Demarco Cox, Aaron Peak graduated. Five players left the team for various reasons.
2015-16 MGH graduated. I am not sure about Charles Mitchell or Nick Jacobs. Ramblinwreck.com does not show them as graduating.

Since BG also had a few GTs, this is not really bad. He is responsible for several this year's grads, so his record is really very good.

You and I have a different opinion on what is pretty good then. Rice, Oliver, Bolden, Reed, so. Poole, and Carter all left the program with eligibility before graduating. Also, I suspect some of the GTs didn't graduate either. I'm not sure how that is considered very good.