GT Hoops General Topics

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not a fan

Memphis Style baby

Just more evidence you're my burner account.

A really good dry rub and smoking for a couple hours removes the need for much sauce in my opinion. I like lots of bark on my pork.

But I’m ambidextrous and eat BBQ any number of ways as long as it’s good.

So you're basically a try-sexual when it comes to bbq.

:ROFLMAO::oops:

I cook ribs in a slow cooker. Keeps them moist and cooks out a lot of fat.

So next swarm meet up is at 57's. Everybody agree?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Wife is smoking ribs today for my birthday. She uses a spicy dry rub with paprika, onion powder, black pepper, garlic powder, dried mustard and brown sugar. She does not add salt to the rub because she brines it overnight in salt water. She also does not tell me all the spices. Says it is an old Creek recipe. She also takes Sweet Baby Ray's no sugar added as a base sauce and doctors it up with more spice.

Last edited:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
You’re lucky, man. I’d give my left arm to be ambidextrous.
Funny... Almost....

Bored To Death Waiting GIF

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
A really good dry rub and smoking for a couple hours removes the need for much sauce in my opinion. I like lots of bark on my pork.

But I’m ambidextrous and eat BBQ any number of ways as long as it’s good.
When I think of dry rub, I can only think of the jerk dry rub wings from the Bucket Shop.

And all the rest of this thread is making me miss Harold’s Barbecue - right across the street from the Federal Pen. (& Brunswick stew, which I haven’t found anywhere outside Georgia!)

SO. HUNGRY.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
When I think of dry rub, I can only think of the jerk dry rub wings from the Bucket Shop.

And all the rest of this thread is making me miss Harold’s Barbecue - right across the street from the Federal Pen. (& Brunswick stew, which I haven’t found anywhere outside Georgia!)

SO. HUNGRY.
So without Harold's what's the best "old BBQ" joint in the Atlanta area? Fox Bros or Heirloom is tasty but I'm looking for the type of places that Lewis Grizzard would write about, that have been around for 800 years.

Closest I've gotten to what I'm looking for is Sprayberry's down in Newnan but don't want to travel that far.

EDIT: Also would like to mention Moore's Whistling Pig in Pine Mountain if you're ever near Columbus or Callaway Gardens.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Fresh Air BBQ Jackson GA. My parents love their Brunswick stew. I've never cared for Brunswick stew, so ymmv.

Think they have one in Macon too?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

SO. HUNGRY.
Benteen Park is really pumping out classics. El Progreso #14 has the widely agreed upon best tacos in the city and Red’s is probably the best “beer garden” in the city.

Harold’s closed shortly after I moved to the city so I never got to experience it but this isn’t the first time I’ve seen it mentioned.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Fresh Air BBQ Jackson GA. My parents love their Brunswick stew. I've never cared for Brunswick stew, so ymmv.

Think they have one in Macon too?
I know lots of people who are fans but I was never that impressed.

Used to be two or three good BBQ places near the Atlanta airport about 40 years ago.

slugboy

Staff member
So without Harold's what's the best "old BBQ" joint in the Atlanta area? Fox Bros or Heirloom is tasty but I'm looking for the type of places that Lewis Grizzard would write about, that have been around for 800 years.

Closest I've gotten to what I'm looking for is Sprayberry's down in Newnan but don't want to travel that far.

EDIT: Also would like to mention Moore's Whistling Pig in Pine Mountain if you're ever near Columbus or Callaway Gardens.

Sprayberry’s isn’t even pulling in the locals anymore—it wasn’t that great the last time I went.

I’m not that into what Lewis Grizzard would like.
Fox Bros is good stuff. I love Heirloom Market.
Community Q was one of my standbys. You have to pre-order any takeout a day ahead there now.
Tucker has the last “Old Hickory House” in existence—it’s the exact one where Sheriff Buford T Justice ordered a “Diablo Sandwich” https://oldhickoryhousebbq.com/.

There’s a list of places to check out. I’ll also do some Chinese BBQ places.