GT Hoops General Topics

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
For me it’s all about the crust. If pizza has hard crust or doughy or chewy crust or soggy crust I might as well ditch the pizza and do a charcuterie board or an hors d’oeuvre plate.

Pizzas used to be better it seems. They are such a popular food item it feels like there are ten times as many today than 20 years ago but the quality has gone down.
Aren't you in Atlanta? Where are you getting your pizzas from? There's no reason to go anywhere other than Antico's though I also like Varuni Napoli and Grana. I've heard great things about Glide as well but I haven't tried it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Aren't you in Atlanta? Where are you getting your pizzas from? There's no reason to go anywhere other than Antico's though I also like Varuni Napoli and Grana. I've heard great things about Glide as well but I haven't tried it.
Not in Atlanta.

Lived in Atlanta many years ago.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
ATL has a great pizza scene, there’s a few more beyond that. Varasano’s is really good but like Antico’s you have to go to the original location for the good stuff. Felini’s is really good for an affordable chain place, and there’s tons of good neighborhood places like O4W, Avellino’s, Hearth, Juniors (no relation to the grill), and Atwood’s (underneath the Biltmore)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Now lets talk bbq….you can’t beat Carolina vinegar style
Any place with North in the state name is automatically disqualified from the bbq discussion.....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Now lets talk bbq….you can’t beat Carolina vinegar style

I think I'm starting to like Memphis style bbq. How's that different from Carolina stuff. Sorry, I'm not a bbq snob.

Also had some TX bbq that was good. The bbq beans were ... interesting. More mesquite than sweet. I could dig it .. just not more than once.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think I'm starting to like Memphis style bbq. How's that different from Carolina stuff. Sorry, I'm not a bbq snob.

Also had some TX bbq that was good. The bbq beans were ... interesting. More mesquite than sweet. I could dig it .. just not more than once.
For me, Memphis-style BBQ, Texas brisket, Kansas City steaks.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I grew up eating sweet sticky bbq in Georgia. No more. But, I miss the Brunswick stew I got at Old Hickory House. Texas bbq is basically overcooked meat with a sticky sauce. Pork lends itself to long slow cooking much better than beef. Done well it doesn't need much help. My sauce recipe, that I got from NC bred father-in-law is white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, pepper flakes, Texas Pete hot sauce, salt, and pepper in a jar. Put the lid on, shake well, stick it in the fridge for 2-3 days. The secret is to use the best vinegar you can afford.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I grew up eating sweet sticky bbq in Georgia. No more. But, I miss the Brunswick stew I got at Old Hickory House. Texas bbq is basically overcooked meat with a sticky sauce. Pork lends itself to long slow cooking much better than beef. Done well it doesn't need much help. My sauce recipe, that I got from NC bred father-in-law is white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, pepper flakes, Texas Pete hot sauce, salt, and pepper in a jar. Put the lid on, shake well, stick it in the fridge for 2-3 days. The secret is to use the best vinegar you can afford.
Could you send me the recipe (with quantities) for that sauce please?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Could you send me the recipe (with quantities) for that sauce please?
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Texas Pete
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

This is his recipe as given to me about 30 years ago. I am flexible with the pepper flakes because my wife doesn't like it as hot her dad. If you use Tabasco instead to TP it will be hotter.
I don't use this on anything but pulled pork, so don't tell me it's awful on ribs or bbq chicken.

It will keep in the fridge for months.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Texas Pete
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

This is his recipe as given to me about 30 years ago. I am flexible with the pepper flakes because my wife doesn't like it as hot her dad. If you use Tabasco instead to TP it will be hotter.
I don't use this on anything but pulled pork, so don't tell me it's awful on ribs or bbq chicken.

It will keep in the fridge for months.
I’ll let you know how it tastes with chicken, but in the meantime this is the one I make for chicken on the grill:

⅔ cup ketchup
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon bkack pepper

Simmer on the stovetop for 5 minutes and you’re good to go. To baste the chicken on the grill, thin it a bit with water, but use full-strength at the table.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Now this thread is actually sharing important information.

On Texas BBQ I imagine, just like BBQ in Georgia, there is a wide range in the quality based on the establishment. The Texas BBQ I had 30 years ago in a hole in the wall place between Austin and San Antonio was a revelation. Had I chosen to live in Texas I could have been converted based on that one restaurant experience.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Now this thread is actually sharing important information.

On Texas BBQ I imagine, just like BBQ in Georgia, there is a wide range in the quality based on the establishment. The Texas BBQ I had 30 years ago in a hole in the wall place between Austin and San Antonio was a revelation. Had I chosen to live in Texas I could have been converted based on that one restaurant experience.

Seems like malpractice that we don't have a bbq thread.

Do better, swarm. Do better.

Kermit The Frog No GIF by Muppet Wiki

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Whenever I've had bad BBQ, it's been as you described, overcooked meat. I don't think that's particular to any region.

I bet that's a good sauce though it seems odd that there's no ketchup?

Anybody use a good mop sauce? I been kickin around a concoction with green peppers, onions, garlic. Kinda like a brine.