GT Hoops Assistant Coaches Hot List

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I lean this way as well. Dollar's recruiting results were mediocre despite his supposed rep as a (son of a) local legend and being super plugged into the 'scene'.

CY, if that report is true, is simply leveraging the dawgs for a better deal with FSU. JMHO but why start over when, in his mind, he's a step away from being FSU's HC?

Dollar doesnt scare me. I hope you are correct about CY. That makes pretty good sense.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I lean this way as well. Dollar's recruiting results were mediocre despite his supposed rep as a (son of a) local legend and being super plugged into the 'scene'.

CY, if that report is true, is simply leveraging the dawgs for a better deal with FSU. JMHO but why start over when, in his mind, he's a step away from being FSU's HC?
Generally I would agree with you, but if they're truly willing to double the man's salary.. That's all the reason in the world for him to "start over".

Assuming that the current salary figure for CY listed above is correct. $230K ain't all that much, $500K on the other hand..

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe CY is somewhere in the 270-290 range currently at FSU. They upped his salary when GT came calling 2 yrs ago.

But if someone is willing to throw 500K at you for a college basketball asst job you would be pretty foolish to turn it down. That is a ton of money for a college basketball asst and more than alot of low major and some mid major coaches would make.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Would we prefer CY at FSU or Georgia?

I know, I don't want Georgia to be relevant, but I also wouldn't mind an ACC peer (yes, peer) getting knocked down a peg and us jumping back up a position.

What if he's an either/or with Hayes, thus forcing Hayes out and leaving a vacuum at FSU?

Better the devil you know?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Article from AJC last Thursday on Hardy getting a HC Gig and Pastner's thoughts on that and the staff.

https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...sistant-tavaras-hardy/ugiNOZY58oxor19FKaKFMJ/

First off, we are in a dead period until Thursday so Pastner (who is working with Marvin Lewis and Todd Stansbury on hires) has a few days before going out recruiting. He says they will have 3 on the road when the period begins - Reveno, Schwarz and likely either Mario West or Tyler Benson (scouting director) until hires are made.

"As he said regarding the hire to replace LaBarrie, Pastner said he wants to hire someone who can coach and develop players and also evaluate and recruit talent. He said he also will be cognizant of staff chemistry."

He again said that it won’t be imperative that one of the two hires be connected to the AAU and high-school circles in Atlanta and the state.

“It’d be nice to have somebody, but I’m not putting that all or nothing,” he said. “I want someone who’s good, and if you’re good, you should be able to relate and connect to people.”

Pastner said he will not rush the hires, just as he was deliberate in putting together the original staff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wait, CY was "only" making just under $300K? I mean, there are HS recruits getting paid more than that. I kid...just a little...

In all seriousness, I don't pay attention to college basketball salaries like I do college football. CY's salary seems cheap considering how well he recruits.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the GTAA needs to run a specific challenge to raise money for a great assistant coach/recruiter. (like they did in football)

I suspect they'd get the money if they did.
I think a big reason why they did that was because CPJ asked for it. He's got some clout being here 10+ years, and I think he was able to build a legitimate business case and present that to Stansbury. His selling point was essentially that we cannot compete with even middle of the pack P5 programs in terms of both quantity and quality of staff with the current budget. With Pastner still on his initial deal, he may have to build a little more equity before going to back to Stansbury and asking for more money for his assistants. He knew what he'd be working with when he took the job, and as far as I can tell, we're about in line with the average of the ACC (per this source). Granted - what Gregory's staff was getting would have been toward the bottom of the league. But there was an addition of about $200K to the budget for assistant coaches when Pastner came in.

I agree that I think the money could be raised, but the question is, does Stansbury see that as a necessary effort to compete right now? I think it may be tough to prove that point.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind that GT has 500K coming off the books this month (Gregory's buyout) and next year 900K comes off the books.
Doesn't mean that money will be used in basketball - though if we start winning we will likely need to boost Pastner's contract as I believe right now he is likely the 2nd lowest paid coach in the ACC ahead of Christian.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that GT has 500K coming off the books this month (Gregory's buyout) and next year 900K comes off the books.
Doesn't mean that money will be used in basketball - though if we start winning we will likely need to boost Pastner's contract as I believe right now he is likely the 2nd lowest paid coach in the ACC ahead of Christian.
All I can say is that I'd contribute to this......

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Got to admit i'd be ok with it just to see the reaction of the UGA fans. Jonas is by far their most popular basketball individual right now, more so than Crean or anybody else.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
If he will work for Florida, is it safe to say that he would work for GT?

Maybe, if this is true: “We've been told that if Florida were to make an attractive offer to Hayes “the alma mater thing would not stop him” from accepting.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk