GT Hoops Assistant Coaches Hot List

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m a big fan of hiring former head coaches as assistants.

Jeff Lebo
Scott Cross
Dr. John Giannini

I like the idea too, but 2 of those names seem tired, while the 3rd seems like he should bounce back in to a head coaching gig as early as this cycle.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Think we could lure Mike Schrage away from Ohio State? He was one that I really liked when the staff was first being assembled.

Here’s one I found - that I’m posting for the fun of it, and I’m sure GT fans would be thrilled with:

Greg Paulus: Paulus, 30, spent the last four years as an assistant under Thad Matta at Ohio State and carries a known name. He played point guard at Duke and quarterback at Syracuse before going into coaching.

For some reason, BJ Elder just seems like he would be a great fit on the bench. Perhaps he needs more seasoning, but he knows the Institute well and had a lot of success overseas. I wouldn’t be mad at it!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Think we could lure Mike Schrage away from Ohio State? He was one that I really liked when the staff was first being assembled.

Here’s one I found - that I’m posting for the fun of it, and I’m sure GT fans would be thrilled with:

Greg Paulus: Paulus, 30, spent the last four years as an assistant under Thad Matta at Ohio State and carries a known name. He played point guard at Duke and quarterback at Syracuse before going into coaching.

For some reason, BJ Elder just seems like he would be a great fit on the bench. Perhaps he needs more seasoning, but he knows the Institute well and had a lot of success overseas. I wouldn’t be mad at it!

Wasn’t Paulus rumored to be joining Penny Hardaway?

Deleted member 2897

Stephon Marbury just retired didn't he? A good one-and-done guy, he can recruit NY for us and we can rebrand ourselves as Tattoo U. I still remember his hat show where he uncovered the GT hat and announced he was going to Georgia Tech University.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Stephon Marbury just retired didn't he? A good one-and-done guy, he can recruit NY for us and we can rebrand ourselves as Tattoo U. I still remember his hat show where he uncovered the GT hat and announced he was going to Georgia Tech University.

Not gonna lie...quite a few get their feelings hurt when recruits do that to us, but if elite prospects announced they were signing with "Georgia Tech University" I would have ZERO feelings hurt. Seriously, if a guy like MJ Walker/Ashton Hagans/Marcus Watson got on TV and said that, I just might root for "Georgia Tech University" myself...

Deleted member 2897

Not gonna lie...quite a few get their feelings hurt when recruits do that to us, but if elite prospects announced they were signing with "Georgia Tech University" I would have ZERO feelings hurt. Seriously, if a guy like MJ Walker/Ashton Hagans/Marcus Watson got on TV and said that, I just might root for "Georgia Tech University" myself...

They can call me Sally if they come here. We could have worse things to worry about, ya know?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be very interested in Schrage.

If you want to go the former HC route you could look into Andy Kennedy.

if they elevate Schwarz permanently then I would be in favor of the last asst spot going to someone with quite a bit of experience, not a relative newby.

CharlotteJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Why are people interested in BJ Elder as an asst.? I'm as big of a fan as anyone because of what he did at GT, but coaching high school/AAU doesn't necessarily mean he'd translate to being a good college asst. From a recruiting standpoint, 16-18 year olds don't know who he is because they were 4 years old when he was at GT.

The initial post references the Ops role as a better fit, which I agree with, I just don't get excited about him on the bench/as a recruiter.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Schrage is equivalent to CY in a lot of ways that would preclude him from being viable.

Outside of "coming home", what's your pitch to him? He's at Ohio State with all the resources, no pressure, coming off a great season, very good incoming class, working for an excellent head coach. Pitch against that to.come to GT.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Warren would be a coup in a non-recruiting role.
The reason he took that job at UMass is so he could spend more time with his family, He didn't want to be on the road recruiting and away from his family all the time.
He's the best guard coach i've ever interacted with.

I'd love to get Jack on staff but my gut is he is not quite ready to give up his playing days yet.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just playing around but could you construct a role for Warren where his recruiting territory was Atlanta?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea too, but 2 of those names seem tired, while the 3rd seems like he should bounce back in to a head coaching gig as early as this cycle.

I would agree about Lebo and G being “tired” but I would also look at Bobby Lutz at NCST after a coaching career that would be considered “fair to middling” and he was seen as an ideal piece of that coaching staff and someone we actually wanted here.

Lebo hasn’t been a coach since leaving ECU so he might have the hunger (or none at all) either way, he pulled in some decent talent to Greenville.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
According to http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...eaving-maryland-for-umass-20170609-story.html Cliff Warren has moved to a non-recruiting role at Umass. Wonder if we could get him as our Personnel Development (aka non-recruiting coach) role where Schwartz was previously.

Warren would be a coup in a non-recruiting role.
The reason he took that job at UMass is so he could spend more time with his family, He didn't want to be on the road recruiting and away from his family all the time.
He's the best guard coach i've ever interacted with.

I'd love to get Jack on staff but my gut is he is not quite ready to give up his playing days yet.

This is the second time this article has been misinterpreted.

Cliff Warren is the Associate Head Coach at UMass. He's in a recruiting role.
http://umassathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1151&path=mbball

He was moved from a recruiting role to a non-recruiting role while still at Maryland under the auspices that he wanted to spend time with his family. As of today, this isn't the case at UMass.

Regardless, I'd love to see us bring Warren back to coach the guards.