GT Hoops Assistant Coaches Hot List

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just playing around but could you construct a role for Warren where his recruiting territory was Atlanta?
No. We have a hole in covering the DMV that he'd be ideal at covering. Also, he may be able to expand that reach in to the Northeast.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why are people interested in BJ Elder as an asst.? I'm as big of a fan as anyone because of what he did at GT, but coaching high school/AAU doesn't necessarily mean he'd translate to being a good college asst. From a recruiting standpoint, 16-18 year olds don't know who he is because they were 4 years old when he was at GT.

The initial post references the Ops role as a better fit, which I agree with, I just don't get excited about him on the bench/as a recruiter.

My opinion on him has nothing to do with the fact that he was a high-school/aau coach. It's the fact that he is Georgia Tech Hall of Famer who knows what is required to be successful here. He played professionally for 10 years, and I'm sure he knows X's & O's.

It doesn't matter if kids remember him from he played or not, but it's not like he's an old fogy. All this said, I agree that he needs some more seasoning, but if it were me, I'd take on a flyer on him before someone like Cabral Huff or Korey McCray.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
A co-worker originally from Madison, Ga., told me on Sunday, BJ Elder is content with his Ministry.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My opinion on him has nothing to do with the fact that he was a high-school/aau coach. It's the fact that he is Georgia Tech Hall of Famer who knows what is required to be successful here. He played professionally for 10 years, and I'm sure he knows X's & O's.

It doesn't matter if kids remember him from he played or not, but it's not like he's an old fogy. All this said, I agree that he needs some more seasoning, but if it were me, I'd take on a flyer on him before someone like Cabral Huff or Korey McCray.

Agreed, kids not knowing Jonas Hayes doesn’t seem to stop him

CharlotteJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed, kids not knowing Jonas Hayes doesn’t seem to stop him
Hayes also spent time as an assistant at the college level prior to his time at uGA (albeit at a small, private school) and was in an Ops role for his 1st year at uGA (which I think would be a better fit for Elder). Not saying Elder couldn't be successful, just think there's more seasoned options that would be more appropriate for an ACC caliber job.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hayes also spent time as an assistant at the college level prior to his time at uGA (albeit at a small, private school) and was in an Ops role for his 1st year at uGA (which I think would be a better fit for Elder). Not saying Elder couldn't be successful, just think there's more seasoned options that would be more appropriate for an ACC caliber job.
Agreed. If Elder wanted to get on that path, I'm all for it, but someone with a more established resume is going to be interested in proving they can recruit like hell at the ACC level.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If Mark Price had never played here people would never bring his name up for coaching openings and would scoff at those who did.

I won't charge you for borrowing my statements here. You're welcome. ;)

Take further, the same could be said about Elder.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I won't charge you for borrowing my statements here. You're welcome. ;)

Take further, the same could be said about Elder.

I agree that the same could be said about Elder, but Elder is an assistant AAU coach of one of ATL's biggest programs &, I believe, a current HS coach. Those qualifications make Elder interesting, if (big if) he has the interest & drive to get on the path of college coaching at an entry level spot.

Many college programs have these positions where former coaches act as "special consultants to the head coach", which is code for a cush job as sounding board on & off the court for the head coach. If you told me GT was going to hire one of these for Pastner and it was Price or Noodles, then fine. They'd be great additions in those roles.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Similar to the way our staff following kids on Twitter can sometimes be a tell, here are some of the most recent coaches at other schools to follow Pastner on Twitter. Could indicate they're interested. Could be a totally random following.

I'm gonna skip most non-local HS coaches at this time.
  • Jordan Brooks - Howard University
  • Ryan Wall - Our Lady of the Lake University (head coach)
  • Mitch Cole - Arkansas Little Rock (haven't looked up if he's new or old staff)
  • Omar Lowery - 1 year at Butler after moving with HC from Milwaukee
  • Todd Townsend - not sure where he is right now, but appears to have been at Milwaukee & Drake
  • Derrick Herbert - Augusta University
  • Richard Westerlund - Wright State - Lake Campus
  • Alex Popp - Vermont Academy HC, recently visited campus
  • Dwayne Killings - old UConn staff

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, here is Eric Bossi's take on Plasvic from the winter.

12/2/2017
Chatanooga (Tenn.) Hamilton Heights had their hands full with Oak Hill on Friday, but I'm still impressed with many of their players and look forward to seeing them again down the road. I really liked what I saw from seven-foot Serbian big man Uros Plasvic. He can move, he has touch and plays with an edge. He'd be a high major target this winter but sounds to be a done deal to Cleveland State and would be a huge pickup for them

slugboy

Staff member
I remember Warren being great.

I’d hate to see Reveno leave; been impressed with him so far.

225 looks slim on a 7’1” player. Nice to have a true center though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk