GT fan attitude toward ND

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I can’t stand Kelly. Waiting for his head to explode on national TV. Almost literally got away with murder...

Generally I don’t like the program from our head to head recruiting battles, but will pull for them against U(sic)GA or others.

You know, there is something about that guy that reminds me of Dan Devine. I guess its that kind hearted, sweet disposition and all around warm fuzzy human being persona. Can't really put my finger on it though.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Pepper and Coach Devine had quite a um history going back to when Pepper was at Kansas and Devine was at, I want to say Missouri. Anyway, then as now, Missouri had a far better team and in the fourth quarter of a beat down, or so the story goes, Pepper flashed Devine the peace sign that was so ubiquitous in those days and Coach Devine gave him half of it back. My dad always thought he, Coach Devine, was crazy but Notre Dame was even more of a pressure cooker then than it is now. Someone who would stoop to shooting a family dog has really serious issues. Can't say I blame Coach Devine for wanting to leave but I am sure he brought a lot of that on himself.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure it was 1978 when the Tech students threw fish at them, because of them running up the score in 1977. And after Devine started trying to run up the score, the students started throwing bottles. NOT A GOOD SCENE !!!

Yep. I was there. I must say though that what he went through at Grant Field is nothing compared to a Saturday night in Tiger Stadium with a Cajun fan base well lubricated.

Yep. I was there. I must say though that what he went through at Grant Field is nothing compared to a Saturday night in Tiger Stadium with a Cajun fan base well lubricated.
I was there too. I initially thought the fish was funny; some students also threw fish when I was in school and Ara was the ND coach. But the bottles were over the line.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I was there too. I initially thought the fish was funny; some students also threw fish when I was in school and Ara was the ND coach. But the bottles were over the line.
I remember the 1980 Miami-Florida game in Gainesville. The Florida fans were throwing frozen oranges at Miami and one hit Howard Schnellenberger's son on the Miami sideline in the face and cut him above the eye. Howard got even with the fans and kicked a FG with 10 seconds left to beat Florida 31-9.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dan Devine's last season was 1980;) A Sports Illustrated writer asked him if he was coming back in 1981 and he replied "Are you f**king crazy?" A Notre Dame fan shot Dan Devine's dog in 1979 after Notre Dame finished 7-4 and that made up his mind to quit after the 1980 season.
Devine’s dog was shot when he coached the Green Bay Packers and it wasn’t some crazy fan, either. It was shot by his neighbor who didn’t like the dog chasing his chickens.
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...s-a-Classic-Who-Shot-Dan-Devines-dog-70731583

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
For a long time I’ve noticed much animosity here towards ND. So much so it even rivals hate directed at the mutts.

That said, I’ve also seen much appreciation for ND’s hospitality and game day experience from posters who’ve been to South Bend for recent games there. From my own experience, ND is easily the most welcoming and friendly opponent campus I’ve been to. In addition, the student body support/organization/activity before, during and after games is second to none.

My question is this: has your attitude towards ND changed over the last few years? And are the reasons for the hate and venom still valid?
1977 ND w/ 62 points on the board puts Joe Montana back in the game in the 4th quarter on 4th down to convert to get a first down and eventually scored their 69th point. A pointless exercise. They literally kicked the yellow jacket nest that day ( I was at that game) and they have been on my list ever since...

dfwjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
My hatred for them has nothing to do with being from GT. It stems from:

1) Hearing a 10 minute treatise back when there were not nearly as many channels about their "path to the natl title" when they were sitting at 5-3
2) Hearing another 10 minute treatise about their academic all star or whatever who had a 3.2 in business, which was sold as "one of their hardest majors", while they are commonly considered on a par or better with us. (Well I guess that part has something to do with GT).

and dozens of other examples in the almost 50 years I have watched CFB

I don't like anybody who is talked about on national telecasts ad nauseum when they have nothing to do with the game at hand.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Love Notre Dame, Love that they want to associate with schools like GT. I really don't get all the hate, they are a national brand, and a huge following. They increase revenue across the board for everybody. GT and ACC fans should hope and pray that other big name brands would want to associate with the ACC, GT is not a big time school, we are near the bottom in revenue and athletic performance. Just look at the last Director's cup, we were dead last among P5 schools.

I travel a good bit, and remember when people spoke very highly of GT across the country. Not so much now, its all about the "gimmicky offense", and lack of recruiting. GT is trending down, not up.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Love Notre Dame, Love that they want to associate with schools like GT. I really don't get all the hate, they are a national brand, and a huge following. They increase revenue across the board for everybody. GT and ACC fans should hope and pray that other big name brands would want to associate with the ACC, GT is not a big time school, we are near the bottom in revenue and athletic performance. Just look at the last Director's cup, we were dead last among P5 schools.

I travel a good bit, and remember when people spoke very highly of GT across the country. Not so much now, its all about the "gimmicky offense", and lack of recruiting. GT is trending down, not up.

Yes, thanks. I will hope and pray that another big name program will use the ACC as a platform during basketball season and then pick and choose during the ACC football season.

I found ND fans to be very likable when visited during the 2015 season. Not a fan of their half in / half out ACC scheduling. I don’t think they are helping the ACC much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Pepper and Coach Devine had quite a um history going back to when Pepper was at Kansas and Devine was at, I want to say Missouri. Anyway, then as now, Missouri had a far better team and in the fourth quarter of a beat down, or so the story goes, Pepper flashed Devine the peace sign that was so ubiquitous in those days and Coach Devine gave him half of it back. My dad always thought he, Coach Devine, was crazy but Notre Dame was even more of a pressure cooker then than it is now. Someone who would stoop to shooting a family dog has really serious issues. Can't say I blame Coach Devine for wanting to leave but I am sure he brought a lot of that on himself.
That sounds an awful lot like the she-made-me-do-it defense. Any coach leaving anywhere breaks half of it on himself just by being there in the first place. I wouldn't know but the fact is I do not, never have and never plan to like Notre Dame for any time for any reason for any price. Why should we like a team with its own TV network?

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Goodness! Pre-season is normally the time everyone is optimistic. I sure would hate to see you when you are feeling pessimistic.