GT fan attitude toward ND

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Been to SB twice for football 07 and 15. Fans were great. Wasn’t sure what to do before the game and my cousin (Michigan fan) and I were waking around. Wanted to drink which isn’t easy to do on campus. Meet some ND fans and they said come with us. We ended up at Rockne’s bar and proceeded to get catholic drunk! (I’m catholic too). I have zero complaints about SB or ND really. Now Michigan fans (Mostly non alum) are as bad as dawg fans.
Michigan fans are the worst. Just had one at my house for happy hour and couldn't wait for him to leave.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I’m ambivalent towards ND, and I think they are universally hated by all of college fb, not just by GT fans.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
For a long time I’ve noticed much animosity here towards ND. So much so it even rivals hate directed at the mutts.

That said, I’ve also seen much appreciation for ND’s hospitality and game day experience from posters who’ve been to South Bend for recent games there. From my own experience, ND is easily the most welcoming and friendly opponent campus I’ve been to. In addition, the student body support/organization/activity before, during and after games is second to none.

My question is this: has your attitude towards ND changed over the last few years? And are the reasons for the hate and venom still valid?

I used to hate them. Now I loathe them. Its all a matter of perspective. The comparison with the Mutts though is ridiculous on so many levels. My dislike of Notre Dame is more akin to that of Miami but for entirely different reasons. In fact, I would definitely pull for Notre Dame against a lot of teams like Miami, FSU, UGA, Alabama, USC. Come to think of it maybe the Irish have grown on me.... just a little.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well at least they have never thrown dead fish at our players.

I loved South Bend. Their fans around me here had a high football IQ, were confident in their team that day, but not arrogant.

Their personnel the day before the game were extremely friendly and gracious. Going through their tunnel onto the field was nice. It did feel like walking through the Mecca of football.

Two thumbs up for ND as a whole. But Ireslly really want to crush them at BDS in 19/20?.

I’d love to see a poll of ND fans and what they think of us vs the mutts. Might be enlightening.

Everybody loves Tech because we are perceived as absolutely no threat to their national aspirations. Probably not UGA fans but most knowledgeable fans are well aware of our academic reputation. Put it this way: Who would you root for? Big Bad UGA or the Sisters of the Poor? Rooting against Tech is about like rooting against the service academies.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I had no difficulty pulling for the Irish against the mutts last year, but in the 1980 Sugar Bowl, I was really torn. For the first half, I actually half-heartedly pulled for the mutts, but in the second half, good sense prevailed and I pulled for the Irish the remainder of the game, although sadly to no avail.

Disappointing. I had such high hopes for you.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I can’t stand Kelly. Waiting for his head to explode on national TV. Almost literally got away with murder...

Generally I don’t like the program from our head to head recruiting battles, but will pull for them against U(sic)GA or others.
I wouldn't mind a Goodyear Blimp hitting Cesspool Stadium like what happened in the movie "Black Friday" during the UGAG-Neuter Dame game;):LOL:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing because I sort of semi pulled for the mutts in the first half in 1980? If that's what you mean, at least give me credit for waking up at halftime. LOL
Disappointing in the sense that as a long time Tech fan this should not have been an issue. "Semi pulled for the mutts"? Seriously, you teetered on the cusp of insanity and just managed to pull back. One never, ever pulls for Georgia. I am trying very hard to think of a single redeeming quality of the school and can think of only one. There are Tech fans who went to the cesspool for either undergraduate or graduate degrees with little or no after effects. So there is that to think about. I personally know of one young man who got an accounting degree from UGA and is an outstanding individual who comes from a LONG line of Tech fans. I asked him once after church, half jokingly "How about them dogs?" He reaction was immediate and succinct: "Piss on em"

Disappointing in the sense that as a long time Tech fan this should not have been an issue. "Semi pulled for the mutts"? Seriously, you teetered on the cusp of insanity and just managed to pull back. One never, ever pulls for Georgia. I am trying very hard to think of a single redeeming quality of the school and can think of only one. There are Tech fans who went to the cesspool for either undergraduate or graduate degrees with little or no after effects. So there is that to think about. I personally know of one young man who got an accounting degree from UGA and is an outstanding individual who comes from a LONG line of Tech fans. I asked him once after church, half jokingly "How about them dogs?" He reaction was immediate and succinct: "Piss on em"
You have to remember that 1980 was not much removed from the Dan Devine era at ND (if at all; I don't remember his final year there), and my hatred for them at that time was probably higher than my hatred for the mutts. But, having at least tied them in 1980 and remembering all too well Herschell kicking a Tech player, I woke up to reality very quickly. I am ashamed of my mental lapse in that first half, but at least I did finally start thinking clearly at halftime. LOL

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
You have to remember that 1980 was not much removed from the Dan Devine era at ND, and my hatred for them at that time was probably higher than my hatred for the mutts. But, having at least tied them in 1980 and remembering all too well Herschell kicking a Tech player, I woke up to reality very quickly. I am ashamed of my mental lapse in that first half, but at least I did finally start thinking clearly at halftime. LOL
Dan Devine's last season was 1980;) A Sports Illustrated writer asked him if he was coming back in 1981 and he replied "Are you f**king crazy?" A Notre Dame fan shot Dan Devine's dog in 1979 after Notre Dame finished 7-4 and that made up his mind to quit after the 1980 season.

Dan Devine's last season was 1980;) A Sports Illustrated writer asked him if he was coming back in 1981 and he replied "Are you f**king crazy?" A Notre Dame fan shot Dan Devine's dog in 1979 after Notre Dame finished 7-4 and that made up his mind to quit after the 1980 season.
I should have looked that up. I just remember him running up the score against us in 1977 at SB and trying to do the same in 1978 in Atlanta. I HATED the man.

The Notre Dame team had smoke coming out their ears going into the 1977 GT-ND game after they were pelted with frozen fish in 1976 by Georgia Tech fans.
Pretty sure it was 1978 when the Tech students threw fish at them, because of them running up the score in 1977. And after Devine started trying to run up the score, the students started throwing bottles. NOT A GOOD SCENE !!!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure it was 1978 when the Tech students threw fish at them, because of them running up the score in 1977. And after Devine started trying to run up the score, the students started throwing bottles. NOT A GOOD SCENE !!!
Wow i didn't know that(y):wideyed::confused: Dan Devine was a jerk and it even seemed like that was how he was portrayed in the movie "Rudy". The game had passed Dan Devine by going into the 1979-1980 seasons.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Pepper and Coach Devine had quite a um history going back to when Pepper was at Kansas and Devine was at, I want to say Missouri. Anyway, then as now, Missouri had a far better team and in the fourth quarter of a beat down, or so the story goes, Pepper flashed Devine the peace sign that was so ubiquitous in those days and Coach Devine gave him half of it back. My dad always thought he, Coach Devine, was crazy but Notre Dame was even more of a pressure cooker then than it is now. Someone who would stoop to shooting a family dog has really serious issues. Can't say I blame Coach Devine for wanting to leave but I am sure he brought a lot of that on himself.