GT fan attitude toward ND

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Did you know that none of the money generated from their TV deal goes to athletics? All generated profit goes to their academic scholarship funds. Athletic scholarships are funded separately from TV revenue. They managed to leverage their athletics to aid the student body as a whole. I personally think it's one of the things that is RIGHT about college football.
Yeah but that advertising for their football program sure benefits their athletics.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah but that advertising for their football program sure benefits their athletics.

This is kind of a chicken/egg argument. I'd posit that ND really doesn't need the TV exposure to aid it's brand, but rather gets the TV exposure BECAUSE of its brand. The very fact that they take that brand value and leverage it for the betterment of traditional students (non-athletic scholarship students) makes it very easy to accept whatever bonus they receive from the deal. In reality, Notre Dame would be on the TV every week anyways, as they are one of the only nationwide TV draws in college athletics year in and year out. Instead of using that to their advantage in athletics, they turn it over to the university instead.

I can see your point, however, even if I do disagree with it.

Well at least they have never thrown dead fish at our players.

I loved South Bend. Their fans around me here had a high football IQ, were confident in their team that day, but not arrogant.

Their personnel the day before the game were extremely friendly and gracious. Going through their tunnel onto the field was nice. It did feel like walking through the Mecca of football.

Two thumbs up for ND as a whole. But Ireslly really want to crush them at BDS in 19/20?.

I’d love to see a poll of ND fans and what they think of us vs the mutts. Might be enlightening.
After our game there in 2015, I warned several ND fans about what they might encounter in Athens. Since so many mutts bought up the tickets in South Bend last year, I imagine they got a foreshadowing of what it will be like in Athens.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is kind of a chicken/egg argument. I'd posit that ND really doesn't need the TV exposure to aid it's brand, but rather gets the TV exposure BECAUSE of its brand. The very fact that they take that brand value and leverage it for the betterment of traditional students (non-athletic scholarship students) makes it very easy to accept whatever bonus they receive from the deal. In reality, Notre Dame would be on the TV every week anyways, as they are one of the only nationwide TV draws in college athletics year in and year out. Instead of using that to their advantage in athletics, they turn it over to the university instead.

I can see your point, however, even if I do disagree with it.
I didn't know that ND funneled the money towards the academics but love hearing that. I never had a particularly bad thing to say about them, and like knowing this good one.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Been to SB twice for football 07 and 15. Fans were great. Wasn’t sure what to do before the game and my cousin (Michigan fan) and I were waking around. Wanted to drink which isn’t easy to do on campus. Meet some ND fans and they said come with us. We ended up at Rockne’s bar and proceeded to get catholic drunk! (I’m catholic too). I have zero complaints about SB or ND really. Now Michigan fans (Mostly non alum) are as bad as dawg fans.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The popsicle sticks they have for bench seating was something I've never seen before in any Junior High School Stadium. I thought they forgot to attach the entire aluminum bench. Then I realized it wasn't a mistake. Those 4" wide benches were there when Rockne was walking the sidelines! Strange!

However, the Deep Dish Pizza in Chicago was OUTSTANDING!!!!

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I use to respect them, but during 1977 they ran up the score on us 69 - 14. Their football program has been the enemy ever since.
IMO, they are worthless part-time members of the ACC. They bring nothing to the conference. They're just here for the basketball money. Either be full time members or get out.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The popsicle sticks they have for bench seating was something I've never seen before in any Junior High School Stadium. I thought they forgot to attach the entire aluminum bench. Then I realized it wasn't a mistake. Those 4" wide benches were there when Rockne was walking the sidelines! Strange!

However, the Deep Dish Pizza in Chicago was OUTSTANDING!!!!
Yea that was rough. Stood the entire game. Right after what should’ve been called PI on ND (one of many) I looked up to see the replay. And there wasn’t a replay screen!!! Lol

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Did you know that none of the money generated from their TV deal goes to athletics? All generated profit goes to their academic scholarship funds. Athletic scholarships are funded separately from TV revenue. They managed to leverage their athletics to aid the student body as a whole. I personally think it's one of the things that is RIGHT about college football.

Does none of the money go to athletics, or none of the profit? These are ENTIRELY different statements. I believe it they have separate funding for the scholarships, but I have serious doubts that none of that money goes into stadiums/facilities/coaches/lawsuits from dead camera operators/rape coverups.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I once liked n.d., somewhat.

That was until Devine, interaction with their self entitled fans at the Gator Bowl, and now their totally arrogant attitude toward the ACC.

Hope they always lose.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Been to South Bend twice. Thought the friendliness from the ushers and some fans was artificial. Funny how 1 royal butthole of a fan ruins a lot of artificial welcomes. Don't want them in the ACC unless they are full members. I don't like their pompous a@@. I do think I would rather beat them than Clem's son.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For a long time I’ve noticed much animosity here towards ND. So much so it even rivals hate directed at the mutts.

That said, I’ve also seen much appreciation for ND’s hospitality and game day experience from posters who’ve been to South Bend for recent games there. From my own experience, ND is easily the most welcoming and friendly opponent campus I’ve been to. In addition, the student body support/organization/activity before, during and after games is second to none.

My question is this: has your attitude towards ND changed over the last few years? And are the reasons for the hate and venom still valid?

I thought I hated them.....until I went to the Tech game up there a couple of years ago. The ND fans were the nicest opposing fans I've ever been around. They were hospitable, polite, welcoming and helpful while at the same time cheering and pulling for their Irish. They were the best example of what college football fans should be. I no longer hate them, which leaves me more hate to expend on the dwags and the U. I highly recommend going to a game there, I hope I get anther chance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I use to respect them, but during 1977 they ran up the score on us 69 - 14. Their football program has been the enemy ever since.
IMO, they are worthless part-time members of the ACC. They bring nothing to the conference. They're just here for the basketball money. Either be full time members or get out.
I’m sure the ACC gets something out of the deal.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Been to South Bend twice. Thought the friendliness from the ushers and some fans was artificial. Funny how 1 royal butthole of a fan ruins a lot of artificial welcomes. Don't want them in the ACC unless they are full members. I don't like their pompous a@@. I do think I would rather beat them than Clem's son.
WTF is fake friendly to a perfect stranger... smiling, saying hello, welcome to ND and not being a **** like most opposing fans??? I’m wondering which fan base are the jerks.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure the ACC gets something out of the deal.
Probably basketball and five football games. But some of those football games are played at ND. So once in awhile Miami, Pitt, Duke and Wake can fill up their stadiums. I can't think of anything else they contribute to the ACC. One day they're going to miss out on the BCS and will want to join someone's conference in football.